• Jul 30th, 2019 5:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5059 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto

Best Man gift to wedding couple

I've been given the honours of the best man at my best friend's wedding. I've been thinking of what are the proper gifts to get them, and more specifically how much a best man should be spending.

He's pretty well off so I'd have to give him a fair amount of cash for just a cash gift ie I don't feel $200 would be worth it.

So far I've gotten him and his wife two tix to cirque do soleil (courtesy of the RFD deal last week). It states that the tix is worth $35 each so I can't pull a fast one in making him believe I spent a fair amount on them lol.

On top of the tix, I'm trying to think of more personal wedding gifts i can give to them, maybe something with their named engraved in it; would you guys recommend such a thing?
Maybe I'll even give them some cash as well. First time being a best man, so I'd appreciate some good advice on the parameters of giving a proper gift.

Also a friend also suggested that at the bachelor party, I give a gift just to the groom. Any ideas what I should give?

Thanks guys
72 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5042 posts
903 upvotes
Is it an Asian wedding? Usually Asian weddings only care about $ & not gifts. If its a Asian wedding, I wouldn't bother about thinking about the perfect gift, cash is king. I've actually been best man more than most people. The first 2 times I was best man, I was relatively young & pretty fresh out of university still, so I really didn't have much money. I gave $300 each of those 2 times (I didn't bring any date either). The 3rd time, I was in a much better financial situation & was able to give much more ($2000, I did bring a date). Context matters, because I was in a much better financial position, & for the 3rd wedding, I know all of the grooms friends are ballers, probably everybody give minimum $300 so even $1000 wouldn't be considered much. If I was not in a much better financial position I would not have given $2000
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10482 posts
2752 upvotes
Markham
Give them Cash.
You don't need to think what they need and what they want and even you know, they may not like what you bought.

$200 as a best man? I would say $300 -$500 depending on the friendship.
Cirque Du Soleil Tickets.....pls don't. Save it for yourself.

Just imagine at your own wedding, what do you your guest give you. A pair of show tickets...?!
I would take cash anytime.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8877 posts
3978 upvotes
Cash. Forget all that other stuff.

Don’t listen to anyone telling you to give nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8877 posts
3978 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:48 pm
You shouldn't have to give them anything. What is important is you are participating. If gifts is what matters then you have all lost the plot!
Has nothing to do with that but I would never attend a wedding with my hands swinging and no gift. Just like I wouldn’t attend a party without a bottle of wine or something. If it was about the money they’d have it in a tent and serve people crackers and water....or not even have a wedding at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6234 posts
4490 upvotes
Toronto
If he's well off, then money would be out of the question... better to give him an experience he's never gonna forget... maybe get two girls, one cup, and treat him to live performance?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2525 posts
761 upvotes
Woodbridge
roblombardi wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:50 am
If he's well off, then money would be out of the question... better to give him an experience he's never gonna forget... maybe get two girls, one cup, and treat him to live performance?
Thank you for an image that I thought had been permanently buried.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6234 posts
4490 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:53 am
Thank you for an image that I thought had been permanently buried.
Told ya.... an experience he's never gonna forget
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41320 posts
5054 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
JayLove06 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 6:45 am
Cash. Forget all that other stuff.

Don’t listen to anyone telling you to give nothing.
But but... its a wedding to share their special day! Money shouldnt matter!
All that matters is that you show up to share the special day.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11199 posts
2059 upvotes
depends on the couple really, are they the ones that will bitch in the future that you didnt gift them anything?

i went to a destination wedding, didn't plan on gift them anything other than a card but decided to write a cheque for $100 anyway

they didn't cash in the cheque and I didn't ask them. life goes on
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1358 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
You're the best man, so you're not really "attending" the wedding, you're part of it. You'll be with the couple all day long, helping out with things here and there non-stop.
The couple shouldn't expect another gift from you, but if you must give, give cash.
If I remember correctly, I gave the wedding party gifts instead as thank you for helping out.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5980 posts
6051 upvotes
Vancouver
hightech wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:32 pm
If not, you can just give them cash based on how close you are to them.
Agree with cash. And if you do decide to go with cash, then make sure it is actual cash—as in actual bank notes. Forget Visa prepaid gift cards.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10472 posts
7703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:44 pm
Agree with cash. And if you do decide to go with cash, then make sure it is actual cash—as in actual bank notes. Forget Visa prepaid gift cards.
Better yet ...
Write a cheque
Old fashioned, but practical in this instance
Toooooo many stories of Newlyweds having their Wedding Gift Money Stolen
Misplaced
Or cheque’s going stale

If the cheque doesn’t get cashed
Then you know something went wrong
And can ask / replace it
Cuz otherwise you’ll never hear
Cuz most couples won’t mention their misfortune
(Lol unless they belong to the tacky bunch that post a Go Fund Me pg)

EDIT / ADD
Money is king ... so many expenses when you get married
BUT, a sentimental something from loved ones & those closest is also nice
Doesn’t have to be big
Maybe a picture frame from you, or all the Groomsmen
So they can display a treasured wedding photo

And as Best Man ... be that classy guy that REMEMBERS their first Wedding Anniversary
Send a card a week or two before the date
(put it & a reminder in your calendar so you don’t forget)
Include a GC if you want to add a gift ... one for a place to eat
Doesn’t have to be fancy
It’s the thought here that counts
And they’ll love you just as much over burgers as they would filet mignon