• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 7, 2017
3 posts

best Mastercard to use while building a house

I'm in the process of building a house and realize my current mastercard is getting pretty low rewards.

Thinking the Costco mastercard may be decent, but wondering if any others make more sense

I buy things with the credit card, and balance is always paid before incurring any interest... I dont mind an annual fee if it makes sense.

Any suggestions at which cards I should look at?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
MBNA WE at 2% everything.
Mar 6, 2010
659 posts
65 upvotes
Costco master card will only get you 1%. Go with tangerine 2% category for Home Improvement. you should be good. HD card sometimes gets you 10% off with special promotion. So that is a good option. I am not too sure you can get contractor credit card or not.
Jan 19, 2017
427 posts
116 upvotes
alfrules79 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:35 pm
I'm in the process of building a house and realize my current mastercard is getting pretty low rewards.

Thinking the Costco mastercard may be decent, but wondering if any others make more sense

I buy things with the credit card, and balance is always paid before incurring any interest... I dont mind an annual fee if it makes sense.

Any suggestions at which cards I should look at?
Scotia Inf. Moment Visa. 4% cash back for gas & grocery purchases. $99 annual fee. Current pro option is first year fee free. Use the visa to buy store gift cards at gas stations or grocery stores to get 4%. I am assuming you are going to buy bldg suppliers from Homedept, CDN Tire, etc. then buy those store gift cards.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4450 posts
2089 upvotes
Edmonton
ml88888888 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 3:53 pm
Scotia Inf. Moment Visa. 4% cash back for gas & grocery purchases. $99 annual fee. Current pro option is first year fee free. Use the visa to buy store gift cards at gas stations or grocery stores to get 4%. I am assuming you are going to buy bldg suppliers from Homedept, CDN Tire, etc. then buy those store gift cards.
If you can use the 4% card to buy other gift cards, can't you just buy other Visa cards (rather than HD or other specific store cards) that can be used anywhere?

C
Jan 19, 2017
427 posts
116 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:14 pm
If you can use the 4% card to buy other gift cards, can't you just buy other Visa cards (rather than HD or other specific store cards) that can be used anywhere?

C
prepaid Visa or M/c have fees while store gcs have no fees.
Jun 24, 2015
57 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you are going to apply for Scotia momentum infinite visa, go through the link below. I obtained a visa card in july and have just received $100 rebate plus first year annual fee waived. Need annual income $60000 to qualify for the card. Cash back in the November statement. Get a card in December, get the cash back on next November, use the money then cancel the card if you don't want to pay the annual fee next year. https://www.***********************/display/Finance/
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3982 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
Scotia Momentum only cash out the cash back every Nov correct? My free 1st year end in Dec, should I stop using it now, wait for the Nov statement to see how much cash back I have, then use it up for the dec month?
Jan 9, 2011
818 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
Log in to Scotia banking site to see how much cash back you have now. No need to wait for the statement.

I'm keeping this card and paying the annual fee. I find it is totally worth it.