Food & Drink

the BEST mexican food at Vaughan Mills. wha??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2010 7:55 pm
Jun 12, 2007
386 posts
15 upvotes

the BEST mexican food at Vaughan Mills. wha??

La Taquiza
3175 Rutherford Rd, unit 28 - 905 669 2277

Ive had the privilege to review most of the top mexican joints in the city through Toronto Taco, and who woulda thunk that the latest and greatest is in my own backyard in the burbs!

Less than a week till Christmas, and all I really want is some good tacos.
No, scratch that, I want some great tacos. And I want to eat them with the year old change I found in my winter jacket.

Enter La Taquiza. Its spanish for the Toni Kukoc of taco joints in Toronto. Looks like a below average spot in a strip mall full of crappy stores from the passer by, but its got what the others don’t - Heart. Spicy, jabanero flavored heart. Toni Kukoc got socked to the bench when MJ came back to the Bulls during the ‘95 season but he still racked up the points behind Jordan and Pippen. What I’m saying is La Taquiza is located in one of the ****** strip malls just outside the king turd Vaughan Mills. Not the first place I would expect one of the best taco spots in Toronto to live.

Technically its not even Toronto; technically its in the heart of the burbs at Jane and Rutherford Road. But thats just how the taco gods work sometimes.

This place has been open for a little over a year now but its just in a crappy location. The inside is pure cheese, but its still welcoming. Staff is all shipped straight from Mexico and are pretty enthused at my arrival. This is the kind of place I could chill at for hours downing nachos and they wouldnt put up a stink.

No doubt the biggest thing I was looking forward to was the salsa bar. In pure Californian style, La Taquiza does it big with FIVE salsas, limes, onions, jalapenos, and even cilantro to go nuts on. The green tomatillo salsa was the salty medium favourite. The owner told me about an even spicier jabanero salsa they have stashed in the back.

Clockwise: Limes, cilantro, extra hot salsa rojo, mild pico de gallo, green tomatillo salsa, jalapenos, medium hot piquante salsa. I stocked up good.

The girly and I order some Juaritos and Sangria, and take a look at the menu. Its got a good selection, and even better prices. She got a steak burrito for like 6 bucks and I got 3 tacos for 7 and change. Their taco selection owns with a bunch of choices including steamed lamb, al pastor, and even carnitas (fried pork stuffs).

My taco platter comes out in a jiffy. Bonus points for double wrapping each taco in their amazing torts, and triple points for hooking up the side of beans to dress up my tacos with. I ordered the al pastor, chicken, and ground beef. All of the tacos come pretty bare bones and its up to you to use the salsa bar to make em how you want em. The ground beef had some fancy name because it came with corn, peas, peppers and beans in it. Pretty much a shepherds pie taco and it was great. The Al Pastor taco was so good I didnt even need anything on it. Its like a piggy choked on a pineapple and out popped my delicious taco. So much flavour marinated in the meat, these tacos could go head to head with the downtown legends any day.

Shepherds pie in a taco. Leprechauny goodness.

Girlfriend gave me a big thumbs up for her steak burrito. Loaded with rice and beans, she scarfed it down without making a mess like only she can do. It wasnt overloaded with spew like every other burrito out there, and I could actually taste the flavor of the marinated steak. Because it wasnt a big a sloppy mess, it could even stand up on its own without collapsing. Now thats a special burrito.

It came with that white fruit in the background sprinkled with cayenne. Im not sure the name of it, but it was a nice touch. Made me feel healthy.

We were in a jam to get downtown, but the owner recommended we get their home made cake next time with tres leches sauce. That, plus all the other staples they had on the menu like huaraches, tostadas, and home made nachos ‘n guac make La Taquiza a hidden taco oasis.

Theres fresher and more authentic tacos in the city, but this place keeps it humble. I dont have to worry about camping out in the bathroom after eating here, or that my grandma’s civics going to get towed if I dont shell out 10 bucks. La Taquiza has all the homey goodness from the suburbs and none of the nitty gritty from the downtown. So spread the word before this place turns into a Starbucks.

Rating: 4.5/5
80 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9348 posts
1548 upvotes
Toronto
wow, thanks for the review.. I'm gonna check this place out. :cheesygri
Jan 17, 2007
542 posts
20 upvotes
OMG. I've been looking for a Mexican place for a long time. I never come to the food forum. Glad I did today. Cannot wait!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9293 posts
671 upvotes
Brampton
I'm there! Thank you for the awesome review!
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Good review, but could use some more info on prices.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
386 posts
15 upvotes
The prices are pretty good, cant complain since theres a waitress and all that serving you.

3 taco platter for $7.50 and it will fill you up as a meal.
Burritos are around $6-8 for meidum to large. Medium was more than enough.
The fanicest stuff I saw was the fajitas for $14.95

A lot of plates range around the 5 dollar mark, so you can get a bunch and share around the table. Salads and hearty soups are probably around $5-7.

Definitely not a fast food place, but it wont break your wallet either. Meal for 2 with 2 mexican bottled drinks came to 20 bucks.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Do they do take-out business?
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 2:22 pm
Do they do take-out business?
Most restaurants do take out. even hotel fancy restaurants :)
you just h aveto ask or call and ask cuz they might not be abletodo every item.

I know one mexican place when it was open I wanted a soup and something else and turns out they had no containes for soups andhad to get one for me from the bagel place beside there..lol.

but other than that have never had too many problems w take out in most places.
I actually get take outfrom restaurants more than "fast food" type stuff usually...if i eat out that is

*The fruit in the pic looks like pineapple to me
I think I recall that mexican places serve pineapple w spices on it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9348 posts
1548 upvotes
Toronto
OH DAMN, I'm so stuffed!!

so I decided to try this place after watching avatar and let me tell you that this place is a gem.

We started off with their nachos w/guacamole($5.75)
and then downed some of the best Sangria I've ever had ($6.46 ea. w/wine version). We ended up sharing a platter of Carne Tampiquena which comes with an endless supply of taco shells($13.75) and also shared a plate of 4 Tacos which we opt to have 1 taco each of beef, pork, chicken and lamb for $9.00.

Food was excellent, service was excellent so I left Hector a big tip :cheesygri

I will be back!
Apr 5, 2009
133 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty good. Will go back again. The steak filling was the best and the salsa bar was pretty good too, they need bigger bowls to hold it though. First time I tried chirozo - joins coriander as my least favourite flavours.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
386 posts
15 upvotes
4flava wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 7:53 pm
OH DAMN, I'm so stuffed!!

so I decided to try this place after watching avatar and let me tell you that this place is a gem.

We started off with their nachos w/guacamole($5.75)
and then downed some of the best Sangria I've ever had ($6.46 ea. w/wine version). We ended up sharing a platter of Carne Tampiquena which comes with an endless supply of taco shells($13.75) and also shared a plate of 4 Tacos which we opt to have 1 taco each of beef, pork, chicken and lamb for $9.00.

Food was excellent, service was excellent so I left Hector a big tip :cheesygri

I will be back!
Sweet! Eh how was the lamb taco? Try the Al Pastor one next time (pork marinated with pineapple).
Dec 30, 2006
371 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
kingkelly wrote:
Dec 20th, 2009 9:05 pm
La Taquiza
3175 Rutherford Rd, unit 28 - 905 669 2277

Ive had the privilege to review most of the top mexican joints in the city through Toronto Taco, and who woulda thunk that the latest and greatest is in my own backyard in the burbs!

Less than a week till Christmas, and all I really want is some good tacos.
No, scratch that, I want some great tacos. And I want to eat them with the year old change I found in my winter jacket.

Enter La Taquiza. Its spanish for the Toni Kukoc of taco joints in Toronto. Looks like a below average spot in a strip mall full of crappy stores from the passer by, but its got what the others don’t - Heart. Spicy, jabanero flavored heart. Toni Kukoc got socked to the bench when MJ came back to the Bulls during the ‘95 season but he still racked up the points behind Jordan and Pippen. What I’m saying is La Taquiza is located in one of the ****** strip malls just outside the king turd Vaughan Mills. Not the first place I would expect one of the best taco spots in Toronto to live.

Technically its not even Toronto; technically its in the heart of the burbs at Jane and Rutherford Road. But thats just how the taco gods work sometimes.

This place has been open for a little over a year now but its just in a crappy location. The inside is pure cheese, but its still welcoming. Staff is all shipped straight from Mexico and are pretty enthused at my arrival. This is the kind of place I could chill at for hours downing nachos and they wouldnt put up a stink.

No doubt the biggest thing I was looking forward to was the salsa bar. In pure Californian style, La Taquiza does it big with FIVE salsas, limes, onions, jalapenos, and even cilantro to go nuts on. The green tomatillo salsa was the salty medium favourite. The owner told me about an even spicier jabanero salsa they have stashed in the back.

Clockwise: Limes, cilantro, extra hot salsa rojo, mild pico de gallo, green tomatillo salsa, jalapenos, medium hot piquante salsa. I stocked up good.

The girly and I order some Juaritos and Sangria, and take a look at the menu. Its got a good selection, and even better prices. She got a steak burrito for like 6 bucks and I got 3 tacos for 7 and change. Their taco selection owns with a bunch of choices including steamed lamb, al pastor, and even carnitas (fried pork stuffs).

My taco platter comes out in a jiffy. Bonus points for double wrapping each taco in their amazing torts, and triple points for hooking up the side of beans to dress up my tacos with. I ordered the al pastor, chicken, and ground beef. All of the tacos come pretty bare bones and its up to you to use the salsa bar to make em how you want em. The ground beef had some fancy name because it came with corn, peas, peppers and beans in it. Pretty much a shepherds pie taco and it was great. The Al Pastor taco was so good I didnt even need anything on it. Its like a piggy choked on a pineapple and out popped my delicious taco. So much flavour marinated in the meat, these tacos could go head to head with the downtown legends any day.

Shepherds pie in a taco. Leprechauny goodness.

Girlfriend gave me a big thumbs up for her steak burrito. Loaded with rice and beans, she scarfed it down without making a mess like only she can do. It wasnt overloaded with spew like every other burrito out there, and I could actually taste the flavor of the marinated steak. Because it wasnt a big a sloppy mess, it could even stand up on its own without collapsing. Now thats a special burrito.

It came with that white fruit in the background sprinkled with cayenne. Im not sure the name of it, but it was a nice touch. Made me feel healthy.

We were in a jam to get downtown, but the owner recommended we get their home made cake next time with tres leches sauce. That, plus all the other staples they had on the menu like huaraches, tostadas, and home made nachos ‘n guac make La Taquiza a hidden taco oasis.

Theres fresher and more authentic tacos in the city, but this place keeps it humble. I dont have to worry about camping out in the bathroom after eating here, or that my grandma’s civics going to get towed if I dont shell out 10 bucks. La Taquiza has all the homey goodness from the suburbs and none of the nitty gritty from the downtown. So spread the word before this place turns into a Starbucks.

Rating: 4.5/5

I've been to this place.

I must say you have done a horrible dis-service to them by not having the tres de leche ( three milk cake). The rest of the food there is great. But the cake is UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!! Hands down the best cake I've ever eaten in my life.

If you eat nothing else, you should have gotten the cake.

If you're are going with a date get 2 orders , as you won't want to share.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9348 posts
1548 upvotes
Toronto
kingkelly wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 9:41 pm
Sweet! Eh how was the lamb taco? Try the Al Pastor one next time (pork marinated with pineapple).
I don't eat lamb so trying it alone was tough but it wasn't bad...coming from me that's saying alot.

I did have the Al Pastor and it was full of flavour..loved it.
tyrrell wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 10:12 pm
I've been to this place.

I must say you have done a horrible dis-service to them by not having the tres de leche ( three milk cake). The rest of the food there is great. But the cake is UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!! Hands down the best cake I've ever eaten in my life.

If you eat nothing else, you should have gotten the cake.

If you're are going with a date get 2 orders , as you won't want to share.
Yeah, Hector said that the cake is really popular but I was sooooo stuffed that I couldnt eat anymore.. I should have gotten it for to go but like I said.. I'll be back =)
× < >