Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2931 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga

Best Odour Remover for Carpets

Long story short, I'd like to clean the carpets. Preferably without renting the carpet cleaning machine. I have a puppy who peed on the carpet a few times and I'd like to get the odour out so that she doesn't think it's a place for her to pee again.

What would be the best product to use? Or what do you guys use for these types of things and your opinion of them. Thanks!
Jesus saves, I spend
8 replies
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
The best thing for small jobs is the Bissell Little Green Machine. It's $90 at CT. It's (relatively) small, quick and easy to use, and is great for these kinds of jobs. I've had mine for 3 years now. I've tried products like Nature's Miracle etc. that claim to get rid of odours, but I've never found them to totally eliminate odours. The little Green sucks the source (in this case pee) right out of the carpet. It's also great for shampooing car seats, furniture etc. When I bought my current car (used) I did the seats, and basically sucked a full can of Coke out of the passenger seat.

I also have a full size carpet cleaner but for small jobs the Little Green Machine is faster and easier, and it's cheap to boot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Citizen Bmac wrote: The best thing for small jobs is the Bissell Little Green Machine. It's $90 at CT. It's (relatively) small, quick and easy to use, and is great for these kinds of jobs. I've had mine for 3 years now. I've tried products like Nature's Miracle etc. that claim to get rid of odours, but I've never found them to totally eliminate odours. The little Green sucks the source (in this case pee) right out of the carpet. It's also great for shampooing car seats, furniture etc. When I bought my current car (used) I did the seats, and basically sucked a full can of Coke out of the passenger seat.

I also have a full size carpet cleaner but for small jobs the Little Green Machine is faster and easier, and it's cheap to boot.

Does the Green Machine work on old stains?
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
nyik wrote: Does the Green Machine work on old stains?
Sure, as long as it isn't oil or something that would be really difficult to remove even when fresh.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Citizen Bmac wrote: Sure, as long as it isn't oil or something that would be really difficult to remove even when fresh.

Thanks! I've been using Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution's Oxy line, and the don't really get rid of the stains.

I'll look into getting the Green Machine. I was also looking at the Bissell Pro Heat line as well...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I use PureAyre. I actually bought it to get rid of other odours (cigarette smoke mostly) in my old condo and since getting new dog, have been using it on the rug that he's peed on. Works like a charm.

http://www.pureayre.com/online.htm

I don't have the pet specific one, just the "home" one. It's the exact same formulation, just labelled for different markets.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2931 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna go to CT on Tuesday to pick one up.
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I have the green machine and it does an okay job BUT be warned, if your carpet is a little dirty it will leave a nice clean circle where you clean :)
IMO, if you can afford it, get a good carpet shampooer..if you have pets you'll need one eventually. I got the Hoover SteamVac from Sears (pricematched to amazon.ca price) and I highly recommend it - it leaves the carpet almost dry when you're done unlike most carpet shampooers.
Back to your original question - I bought the oxy clean from this place - greenforlife.ca - after using it I tested the spot with the black light and it didn't 'glow' like old untreaded spots.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)