None
[OP]
Nov 3, 2006
273 posts
1 upvote

Best Oil Filter

What is the best oil filter to use and where can
you buy them? I've heard that Fram, Quaker State, and
[rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] oil filters are no good, is this true?

Thanks
67 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3123 posts
213 upvotes
If you search google, you will find all kinds of reviews on oil filters. From what I have read (and forgotten), if you can't decided on an oil filter, just go with OEM, (recommened from your manufacturer)

Or, just cange your oil every 5000Km, you will always have reasonable clean oil inside.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7584 posts
388 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 7:29 am
A dirty oil filter is a bad oil filter, regardless of the brand. The best thing you can do is change it often.
Here is an up to date oil filter study. It has lots and lots of info in it so be prepared to learn way more than you wanted :)
http://knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html
Thanks for the link.

It's interesting to note from the review that there are actually only a handful of oil filters to avoid, most of them being Fram.

But at the same time, it's not that all Fram filters are crap as the Tough Guard made it's way to the recommended models.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1842 posts
86 upvotes
GLALNP wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 2:34 am
Canadian Tire oil filters are no good, is this true?

Thanks
I believe FRAM makes oil filters for the quaker state and canadian tire motomaster brands. They are also the OEM maker of honda's current oil filter in north america.

FRAM filters will work all fine, but if you want a better quality yet reasonably-priced alternative, try purolator or wix brands. If you don't mind paying a lot more, there's always mobil1, K&N, FRAM X2, etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13504 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
GLALNP wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 2:34 am

Thanks
The best oil filter is your manufacturer's one, since it avoids headaches when it comes to warranty claims.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes

Thanks
This list you provided are the crappiest filters you can buy, all made by FRAM.

Of course synthetic FRAM filters are pretty good. I'm referring to the orange box one (the cheapest ones). OEM FRAM is better. If you have a honda then I believe there's OEM Filtech filters availble or DENSO.

In north america, the best filter would be NAPA Gold or NAPA Silver. Of course no one really knows these brands. But they are way better than your generic FRAMS.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6610 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Amsoil, Wick and K&N make the 'best' reviewed oil filters. My Amsoil OA filter is rated for 25k miles... Not suggesting I'll take it that far but either go with OEM or any of the above.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7584 posts
388 upvotes
chickenbones wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 12:59 pm
If you have a honda then I believe there's OEM Filtech filters availble or DENSO.
If you know what to order you can get the Honeywell/Filtech models. I haven't been able to find the Toyo Roki's in a while :(
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1373 posts
1 upvote
Toronto!
I use Bosch they are pretty good from the things I've read.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
I've used only Fram oil filters for my '89 Nissan 240SX and it did 256,000 kms with no engine damage before I sold it in Dec 2000. I changed my oil every 5,000 kms; with -/+ 100 kms variances. That's real-world testing. So in my opinion, Fram makes a competent oil filter. Just because they are mass producer of filters doesn't make them inferior compared to other brands.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
diigii wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 4:24 pm
I've used only Fram oil filters for my '89 Nissan 240SX and it did 256,000 kms with no engine damage before I sold it in Dec 2000. I changed my oil every 5,000 kms; with -/+ 100 kms variances. That's real-world testing. So in my opinion, Fram makes a competent oil filter. Just because they are mass producer of filters doesn't make them inferior compared to other brands.
I just don't believe in paying top dollar for an inferior product. It _IS_ inferior due to construction.

The crappy orange Fram filter for my Outback costs about $7 + tax from partsource & CDN Tire.

I can similarly order a Bosch filter which I know is constructed better for less than $4 through autopartsway.ca
FS Items:
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
Originally Posted by diigii
I just don't believe in paying top dollar for an inferior product. It _IS_ inferior due to construction.

The crappy orange Fram filter for my Outback costs about $7 + tax from partsource & CDN Tire.

I can similarly order a Bosch filter which I know is constructed better for less than $4 through autopartsway.ca
You are right, it's a fact that the orange fram filter are inferior by design. The filter parts are made of cardboard as opposed to metal in other similarly priced filters.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
TenzoR wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 1:52 pm
I use Dealer or OEM
Yup me too. Save some money(the RFD way :) ) buy purchasing 3 or 4 filters at a time. The dealer/parts counter will usually give a discount. Works with air filters and other often replaced items as well.
× < >