• Oct 13th, 2012 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 29, 2005
415 posts
179 upvotes
Victoria

Best P&S Digital Camera for Video?

I've been using a little Canon TX-1 for five years and the focus is officially crapping out. Looking to get a new compact point and shoot camera. I primarily use it to shoot video at concerts I can't get my good gear into. So I'd want 10X optical zoom or better, decent low light ability, and maybe a few manual controls (though I know manual controls are probably not available in most point & shoots)

I've been a Canon person for years so the SX260 is on my short list, but I thought I'd see if anyone thinks something from Sony or Panasonic etc. would perform better.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
60 upvotes
Brampton
yeah, the Sony and Pansonic P&S are better in video when it comes do downsampling.

try looking at HX9V (used) or HX10V.
not sure on the Panasonic model
FS: Continental-Barum Bravuris 2 - 1x 255/35/18
I don't worship lenses, nor do I see the 3 primes as a "trinity"
there is only one Holy Trinity and they certainly aren't lenses
Banned
May 26, 2012
100 posts
4 upvotes
HAMILTON
I think Olympus E-5 camera is more suitable for you.
Sep 25, 2012
14 posts
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera. Really a great device :D
Dec 29, 2005
415 posts
179 upvotes
Victoria
Ended up getting an open box Sony HX10V at Best Buy for $299.99 (regularly $349 new)... Test videos look good, but kind of annoyed I can't do any exposure adjustment after hitting record. With my old canon camera I could make make some manual adjustments on the fly if faces were blown out by spotlights or sudden bright lights at concerts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
daniel869690 wrote: I think Olympus E-5 camera is more suitable for you.
What? Where did that come from....The E-5 isn't a point and shoot and video is not that great either....and probably way over OP's budget.
Dec 29, 2005
415 posts
179 upvotes
Victoria
bhrm wrote: What? Where did that come from....The E-5 isn't a point and shoot and video is not that great either....and probably way over OP's budget.
Budget wasn't too much of an issue. Compact and features were more important for what I use the camera for. I already own a t3i with an 18-200mm lens.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
magmazing wrote: Budget wasn't too much of an issue. Compact and features were more important for what I use the camera for. I already own a t3i with an 18-200mm lens.
The olympus E-5 is twice the size of your T3i and video quality not great, lacking video features.
Nov 26, 2011
152 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm enjoying the video on my Sony RX-100. Some great slo-mo post processing too

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)