• Aug 21st, 2017 9:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2580 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga

Best parking collar to stop barking but not be mean to puppy

Anyone have any advice? I hear its quite effective but there are so many types out there.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
The best way to stop your dog from barking is training and patience.

Why is your dog barking? Where?
Mar 19, 2013
609 posts
175 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I agree with Beachdown, find out the root cause of the barking. At times I want my dogs to bark, strangers entering the yard or strange noise at night. When they play they may bark. When wife or I come home from work, they bark. Just happy to see us. Curbing the unnecessary barking is some work and time. The research I did on the collars for most part say they are useless.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
You need to teach your dog the "quiet" command. Actually, you need to teach him the "bark" command first, then quiet.
Aug 8, 2017
12 posts
11 upvotes
Dogs bark for a number of reasons; I have two dachshunds that while in the backyard with my shih tzu will bark at absolutely nothing (they are notorious for that) and the shih tzu won't make a sound.

I've fostered numerous dogs and numerous dogs at one time and the best sort of collar to get for a dog to stop barking, without the cruelty of shock collar is a citronella bark collar.
https://www.amazon.ca/Petsafe-PBC17-141 ... ark+collar
Aug 8, 2017
12 posts
11 upvotes
Dogs bark for a number of reasons; I have two dachshunds that while in the backyard with my shih tzu will bark at absolutely nothing (they are notorious for that) and the shih tzu won't make a sound.

I've fostered numerous dogs and numerous dogs at one time and the best sort of collar to get for a dog to stop barking, without the cruelty of shock collar is a citronella bark collar.
https://www.amazon.ca/Petsafe-PBC17-141 ... ark+collar
Aug 20, 2007
24 posts
I have a 7 month old Morkie who is a barking fiend!

He's not aggressive at all, but definitely comes off that way when he's overstimulated. In particular, on walks he goes nuts over bikes, kids or people (of his choosing). We've tried a number of different things, and he just doesn't seem to stop. During training, even the trainer had a really hard time, as he loved getting the last word in! She actually recommended a citronella collar, but I'm not sure yet if we should. In my opinion, he's a very clever dog, as he often picks up tricks very quickly.

She also recommended a muzzle for walks or periods of over-stimulation, but I've found that just makes him really depressed, and I don't want to do that anymore.

Anyone have any other techniques/advice to control barking?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4564 posts
256 upvotes
@war3 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 8:58 am
I have a 7 month old Morkie who is a barking fiend!

He's not aggressive at all, but definitely comes off that way when he's overstimulated. In particular, on walks he goes nuts over bikes, kids or people (of his choosing). We've tried a number of different things, and he just doesn't seem to stop. During training, even the trainer had a really hard time, as he loved getting the last word in! She actually recommended a citronella collar, but I'm not sure yet if we should. In my opinion, he's a very clever dog, as he often picks up tricks very quickly.

She also recommended a muzzle for walks or periods of over-stimulation, but I've found that just makes him really depressed, and I don't want to do that anymore.

Anyone have any other techniques/advice to control barking?
Did you try clicker training?
Nov 7, 2012
671 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
My back yard is adjacent to a storage/service yard of my local electric company. If you shout or bark loud enough the echo will bounce back from their building which is about 500m away.

That being said, my dog barks at himself sometimes.
My dog hears every damn thing, LhasaPoodle, which is great for protecting our home. There was a time when he was younger that he would bark at anything and everything. We used that bark collar. It worked and eventually he stopped barking at everything and when it became annoying we would ask him if he wanted his collar.... he shut up then and there. We haven't used it in years and he's probably forgotten about it now. My dog barks at our ice machine in our fridge when it drops fresh ice. We tell him to be quiet and he grumbles and stops. Time and patience.