Cell Phones

Best Pay as you Go Plans for light user about 40 minutes per month?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2013 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2006
707 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam

Best Pay as you Go Plans for light user about 40 minutes per month?

I am thinking of upgrading my wife's phone which she uses only a few times a week (we use my Samsung Galaxy 2 smartphone most of the time when we are out together). Over the past few months she has averaged about 40 minutes per month local talk time and makes maybe 5 to 10 texts per month. I am not sure if she absoultely needs voicemail especially if she has the texting feature.

Looking at the websites it looks like the top contendors are.....

1) Wind Mobile which charges $5 per month for texts, $0.20 per minute for outgoing calls, and $8 per month for voicemail, and has free incoming calls and free caller ID.
2) Virgin charges $10 per month with $.10 per minute phone calls and $0.10 per text and has free incoming text, free voicemail, and free call display
3) Telus (our current provider) charges $100 for 333 minutes prepaid telephone time, charges $5 per month for 250 outgoing texts per month (free for incoming), and $7 per month for voicemail per month.

It looks like Wind is the cheapest but I am not sure about their coverage in the Vancouver area. My wife would primarily user he phone in the lower mainland of Vancouver extending out to Maple Ridge and Port Coquitlam and Surrey.

Any ideas on what would be best and cheapest for her?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1484 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Have you looked at Rogers pay by the minute-all day plan? $.25/minute X 40 minutes = $10/month. $3/month for 30 texts. Voice time rate to listen to voicemail, no monthly charge for service. Top-up account with $100 voucher that has 365 day expiry. Going this route, your only set charge will be the texting package + whatever minutes you use for voice calls & voicemail. The only thing with Rogers is that their prepaid phones suck, none of them support Wifi. So you'll have to find an unlocked phone for your wife. And you'll have phone service when you're in the U.S.A.
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wire ... Tabset1--4
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wire ... cts/addons
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/carriers ... s-1229907/
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
I would not go with wind if you are looking to go out that far as they dont have coverage in maple ridge... Have a look at Koodo
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1279 posts
87 upvotes
Really spotty coverage in the Tricities area and outwards. Surrey is hit-and-miss, depending on where you go.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
707 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks to everyone that has posted their insights. I talked to our current provider Telus yesterday and they offered me a pay as you go plan where I can buy $100 of talk time that will last me 1 year at a cost of $0.20 per minute + $0.25 per text or $5 for 250 texts per month + monthly 911 fee of $0.75. They offered me a credit of $20 towards any phone and I am leaning towards the Galaxy Ace at $80 ($100 - $20). As she doesn't have voivemail now I will probably skip it and just text her if I want to leave a message. Any more thoughts on this before I pull the trigger.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/sams ... ndex.shtml
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1922 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/walmart-exclusive.aspx

For $89, can't go wrong. Try out in your area and if it don't work good, return it before 14days or 30min usage. Best to just test the incoming as its free. You also get unlimited northamerica text for 1 year and also 1 year free wind to wind calls.

I got it for my mom and it came with $10, so far works as advertised and since, she would only received calls for most of the times, that free $10 would last her quite a while. After one year, expect to pay $40 every 6 months to renew the service. What am I going to use $6/month fee on? I dunno, maybe I will get the 50mb data plan and give her free calling using google voice...
Feb 9, 2011
6 posts
Surrey
:confused: Hi SPACEANRICK :cheesygri .. I Know is 6 month Ago Any Way is Always Time to Swich :facepalm: And Can Help Anybody That Came Here Like Me ... ;) The Best Place Cheaps and No Asseauld is :arrow: Petro Canada :arrow: And 7/eleven :D
:idea: But The Best is Petro Can They Awesome Just Google it Now .. You Like What You See.. I've Been a Strong User But At The Momment its All I Need :D
Is situation Like Are .. Wee Do Not Want Paid 2 Phone and a Home Phone ... :-0 is Lie You Wen Wee Find Out I was Not Using My Time For So Many Month..
But Wee Do Need One.. Hope Some Discovery it Like Me ..
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2292 posts
819 upvotes
Calgaryish
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:26 am
I
3) Telus (our current provider) charges $100 for 333 minutes prepaid telephone time, charges $5 per month for 250 outgoing texts per month (free for incoming), and $7 per month for voicemail per month.

Any ideas on what would be best and cheapest for her?
Telus is changing their rates on August 1st and will be the best deal you.

1. If you have a 30-day add on (such as the 250 text pack), the per minute call rate will be $0.15.
2. 250 outgoing texts remains $5
3. Voice Mail 3, Caller ID, and Call Waiting are included at no additional charge.

There is a $0.75 per month 9-11 fee.

A $100 top-up will be enough to pay for the text package + 9-11 fee for a year, plus 206 minutes of talk.

More info: http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/prepaid ... aidchanges
Feb 27, 2007
158 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
Any information on upcoming change to Roger Prepaid plan?
Thanks in advance!
× < >