Tags:
None
Aug 24, 2011
40 posts
7 upvotes
Saint-Hubert

Best phone arround 250 $ CAD

Hi,

I need a new phone and have a budget of arround 250 $. I was thinking about maybe trying a xiaomi phone (probably the note 3 or note 3 pro). Do you have some advice on another device that could do a better job ? One of the main thing i'm concerned is the update support, will my phone be able to received the new android in a year or two.

Thank you
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6632 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think any phone will get the new the N android unless its Nexus line up. By the time other manf will get around IF they are pushing the update - it will be another year. Sadly, that's how this works.

Personally, I like HTC One M8 as the best in that price range. I have it and still contemplating if I should sell it or move back to it. It has premium metal feel - very light skin (of HTC). One of the best cameras (even though there are lot of haters of it, I took it on vacation and pix on m8 are better than the point and shoot I bought just for the trip).

One M8 has marshmallow for ~6 months now so update been pretty good.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
OP, you want two years of OTA support, the only option is a nexus product. Better bring a lot more money to the table. I would suggest getting something that has an easily unlockable bootloader and good xda support. That will give you 2 or more years of rom updates. A number of RFD members bought into the Oppo find 7a clearance a while back. Depending on the number of phones purchased in a batch, the cost including taxes and duty was around $180-200. The phone is nearing the 2 years old mark, specs still compare well with upper mid range phones today and best of all it has marshmallow support via xda. I have confidence the phone will receive android N. There is no color OS 6.0 for the phone. So, it's not like there is anything really getting in the way of the xda folks putting together a 7.0 rom for the phone.
Dec 24, 2013
668 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Nexus 5 - for software support, good specs, or M8 as mentioned.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7649 upvotes
Kanata
Zenfone 2, though if you have to have updates, that's something I can't answer.
Aug 24, 2011
40 posts
7 upvotes
Saint-Hubert
I will check into the Zenfone 2, I actually tought about the nexus 5. Thanks guys will look into those options.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2014
1332 posts
984 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you care about rom support make sure u chose the Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro. Is has the sd650 processor. It should have healthy unofficial rom support

Avoid the ones that have mediatek processors as they are extremely unlikely to have custom roms as they don't release the source code. The reason is because they violate the GPL and they do their best to hide that fact
Oct 5, 2012
145 posts
48 upvotes
BC
qcfragger wrote: I will check into the Zenfone 2, I actually tought about the nexus 5. Thanks guys will look into those options.
As an employee of a company that sells the ASUS Zenfone 2, when you get the Zenfone, please make sure the first thing you do is update your phone. Without the update, certain basic functions have been known to be really buggy.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Get a used OnePlus One. THey can be had for $200. 64gb, unlocked and massive screen. Hard to beat for the current used prices.