• Aug 10th, 2017 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9380 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto

Best photo backup with a few features?

I will soon be away from my entire photo collection (60,000+ photos, most RAW) for a while, but will at times need to access a photo here or there. As such, I'd love to put them all in the cloud and be able to:

- Maintain original filename for reference
- Be able to search for files
- Web preview of image, including from RAW file
- Download single files (the original RAW)

Any good cheap service that fits the above?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2470 posts
411 upvotes
60k photos at RAW sizes might as well buy and start your own little fileserver at home!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9380 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 9:55 pm
Yep. Get a NAS and an internet connection with lots of upload.
Not really sure why I didn't think about it. I do have a Synology with all the photos backed up, though I've never used or even enabled any of those apps that are available. I certainly don't want to have them "touch"/modify the files and risk any destruction or corruption of the files.

But I suppose one of their apps could provide a web interface/search/image preview?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2173 posts
174 upvotes
Perfect! Install Photo Station. Photo Station is meant for sharing photos but not the best for interacting with your Synology remotely. You'll also want to install the WebDav server.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... ickconnect

Also turn on your recycle bin so that any accidental deletes stay for 30 days in the recycle bin. If you have the space you can also turn on file versioning so that it maintains multiple versions
of your files.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9380 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:59 am
Perfect! Install Photo Station. Photo Station is meant for sharing photos but not the best for interacting with your Synology remotely. You'll also want to install the WebDav server.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... ickconnect

Also turn on your recycle bin so that any accidental deletes stay for 30 days in the recycle bin. If you have the space you can also turn on file versioning so that it maintains multiple versions
of your files.
Awesome thanks I'll try it out!