Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 25, 2007
171 posts
1 upvote
Montreal

best photobook website for Canadians?

i recently shot for a couple's wedding and am planning to build them a photobook as a gift. I was wondering which site would provide the most professional and high quality looking photobooks without breaking the bank.
(i.e. under 100$ for a 40 page book) I live in Mtl, so preferable a canadian based site where i dont have to pay lots for shipping and brokerages fees. I've heard some mixed reviews about Photobook Canada, Pikto, Photoinpress which are all based in Canada. Can someone provide me some feedback on any these sites or any other ones that you've tried and have liked? I'd really appreciate the help
48 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1004 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
Im looking for a same solution..
I printed a Photobook once from kwikpix.ca and they from Miss, ON.
I was happy with the product, but their choices are limited, including the page making tool.
If you could make the pages by yourself, then it might be a different story. i never tried it as i do not have patience to play on Photoshop for hours.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2684 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
kunamvahees wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 11:47 am
Im looking for a same solution..
I printed a Photobook once from kwikpix.ca and they from Miss, ON.
I was happy with the product, but their choices are limited, including the page making tool.
If you could make the pages by yourself, then it might be a different story. i never tried it as i do not have patience to play on Photoshop for hours.

elephoto.ca

easy to use website and templates. fast shipping. awesome cover choices.
Apr 18, 2009
78 posts
6 upvotes
Fenwick
I have used Costco, good prices but limited choices, pus you have to be a member. I also used Shutterfly and it was good too, way more choices, plus lots of sales on products. Downside is you have to pay for shipping and since it's from the US it took longer than I antipated, but I was happy with the results of both.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2778 posts
463 upvotes
Mississauga
Adoramapix is awesome. The software is easy to use and the quality of the paper is superb. I've made 3 photobooks for family and friends and they have not disappointed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6752 posts
536 upvotes
Photobook Canada - varying quality, but good customer service to get new ones.

Elephoto - is a division of "The Printing House", is a fairly new competitor in the field.

Pikto - Expensive, which I'd assume is from their location

Photoinpress I haven't used yet.

Artscow - cheap, but brutal quality

Personally I recommend Blurb to my customers, their service, printing quality, pricing and options are top notch. We have a 15% off coupon "SCANNING15" to use at http://photobookdeal.photoscanning.ca if you're looking at that route.
Mar 25, 2005
523 posts
7 upvotes
So far I have ordered book from Apple using Aperture to build the book, and the results were quite good. Quality of the pictures was nice, my only complaint was one page had a little bit of white at the very bottom left from the cutting.

I recently ordered from MyPublisher and got two sets of books, both hard cover with their super gloss paper, and one with the lay flat option. The paper was very nice and the images looked nice too. I really liked the lay flat option since it lets you flip through the book with one hand or leave it open on a table. The one without the lay flat would always close on itself since the paper was so heavy and stiff.

If I was going to order again I would probably use MyPublisher again over Apple, but you need to wait for a coupon since their prices are quite a bit more but they always seem to have coupons.

I was thinking of ordering from Blurb but I was worried about brokerage fees.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1022 posts
86 upvotes
Ontario
My wife and I have used mixbook, and have been pleased with the results. We found a groupon for them and so decided to give them a try. They may still do groupons periodically.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6629 posts
783 upvotes
i printed a $400 15x 11 inch hardcover landscape book from ptohobookcanada.com and as far as im concerned id give it 9/10 on quality and software. Please understand though that stuff like Kodak books or walmart quality for me is a 3 or 4/10. I havent tried blurb? was it? but it seems its getting good reviews across the net.

id say try either or between those 2. The photo lustre pages from photobook are great, the hardcover is okay but i wasnt enchanted with it because its an automatic matte version (no options for lamination, gloss,etc) Their binding looks pretty sturdy as well.
Aug 31, 2006
465 posts
70 upvotes
matdwyer wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2012 12:35 pm
Photobook Canada - varying quality, but good customer service to get new ones. z

Elephoto - is a division of "The Printing House", is a fairly new competitor in the field.

Pikto - Expensive, which I'd assume is from their location

Photoinpress I haven't used yet.

Artscow - cheap, but brutal quality

Personally I recommend Blurb to my customers, their service, printing quality, pricing and options are top notch. We have a 15% off coupon "SCANNING15" to use at http://photobookdeal.photoscanning.ca if you're looking at that route.
z
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6752 posts
536 upvotes
rsauve wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 10:16 pm
z
Artscow? Brutal = Bad. It's cheap for a reason.

Good to show your friends, etc, but I wouldn't be making a wedding album out of it.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2820 posts
213 upvotes
Any new thoughts? I'm leaning towards trying either My Publisher, Apple/Aperture, AdoramaPix, or Mixbook. Priority for me is quality and then timing, as I want to make something for Mothers Day (I know, I know, I should have started a while ago). Price is not as important, but I'd rather not pay any surprise customs/broker fees, particularly if there is a high quality local option.
Nov 14, 2013
9 posts
Georgetown, ON
This is an old thread but since I am crazy about making photo books I have tried many of the sites including Shutterfly and Mixbook (both US sites). I found out the hard way that both photobookcanada.com and Blurb.ca are not Canadian sites! Just because they have "Canada" in their name doesn't mean they actually have to be Canadian sites. The photo books from both these sites are printed in US or elsewhere and so you will have to deal with shipping and customs fees.

Photo Book sites that you can go to create books Made in Canada (with free shipping to store of your choice) include:
Costco - http://www.costco.ca/photo-center.html
Shoppers Drugmart - www.shoppersphoto.ca
Loblaws - www.photolab.ca
Henrys - www.henrys.lifepics.com

Happy photobooking!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3097 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
Used blurb a couple of times and produced great results and will ship within Canada if the address is Canadian as well.
Nov 20, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
TLAC has done really great work with my photo books in the past try them based in Toronto.