None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3819 posts
532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
grace1960 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2014 7:45 pm
This is an old thread but since I am crazy about making photo books I have tried many of the sites including Shutterfly and Mixbook (both US sites). I found out the hard way that both photobookcanada.com and Blurb.ca are not Canadian sites! Just because they have "Canada" in their name doesn't mean they actually have to be Canadian sites. The photo books from both these sites are printed in US or elsewhere and so you will have to deal with shipping and customs fees.

Photo Book sites that you can go to create books Made in Canada (with free shipping to store of your choice) include:
Costco - http://www.costco.ca/photo-center.html
Shoppers Drugmart - www.shoppersphoto.ca
Loblaws - www.photolab.ca
Henrys - www.henrys.lifepics.com

Happy photobooking!
I have used photobook canada in the past (2 yrs ago), and did not encounter customs fees (only standard shipping). I plan on using them soon in time for xmas.
Nov 17, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The quality at photobookcanada.com is very poor compared to what it used to be. I ordered my first photobook from them in 2010 and was very happy at the quality, and didn't think twice about ordering from them again this year.

Bad choice. The drop in quality is very obvious when putting the two books side-by-side.

I'm not sure where the first book was printed, but the second one was shipped in from Malaysia. However, shipping fees were reasonable without extra customs.

I have another book in the works and am willing to bite the cross-border fees for quality.
Apr 12, 2012
166 posts
53 upvotes
North Vancouver
I'm looking for this too and wondering who has the fastest turnaround time?
Feb 28, 2008
174 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Can anybody recommend a good quality company for a wedding guestbook?
Aug 6, 2009
490 posts
50 upvotes
GTA
I still use iPhoto (now Photos) on a Mac and Apple's print product. I am pleased with the results but I haven't compared them to other people. (I export the photos from LR and build the book in iPhoto/Photos)
Nov 12, 2010
13 posts
6 upvotes
tomdub196 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 10:14 pm
I'm looking for this too and wondering who has the fastest turnaround time?
This thread is a bit old but I'm now looking for fast turnaround photobook (2-3 days) in Toronto/Canada. Did you find anywhere good quality and fast?

I am leaning towards Pikto as they are local.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6752 posts
536 upvotes
dansizer wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 8:17 am
This thread is a bit old but I'm now looking for fast turnaround photobook (2-3 days) in Toronto/Canada. Did you find anywhere good quality and fast?

I am leaning towards Pikto as they are local.
Pikto is the place if you need fast turn around - or, depending on your needs (i.e. binding / cover) possibly a local digital printer

I know PhotobookCanada used to have an office & production facility in Canada but i heard from a customer (this is completely unverified - I do not know for a fact) that they are offshore now (could just be US / centralized - I have absolutely no idea so look into it yourself). When I was talking to them they were in Markham
Nov 12, 2010
13 posts
6 upvotes
matdwyer wrote:
Jul 7th, 2015 3:38 pm
Pikto is the place if you need fast turn around - or, depending on your needs (i.e. binding / cover) possibly a local digital printer

I know PhotobookCanada used to have an office & production facility in Canada but i heard from a customer (this is completely unverified - I do not know for a fact) that they are offshore now (could just be US / centralized - I have absolutely no idea so look into it yourself). When I was talking to them they were in Markham
Awesome, thanks. I ended up going into Pikto over the weekend and they can have the photo book ready for pick-up in 4 business days, and although a little expensive I went with it as it fits to my schedule perfectly. For others' reference they also have a rush 2 business day service, but I did not ask how much extra.

I noticed some older reviews about their customer service online, but everyone I've dealt with have been great - can't have been any better service wise in my opinion. I'll wait to see how the final product comes out this week...
Mar 4, 2015
401 posts
40 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you have a Mac, you can also make a photo book in iphoto. I have used it a few times, and I like the end result. They also have different templates and styles you can use. I am sure they have some for weddings. The price point is about $100
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1133 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
I took the plunge and made my engagement album with artisan state and have not been disappointed. A bit pricier, but not too shabby for a layflat flushmount book.

Tried making a travel book through photobookcanada and it was a nightmare in terms of the software, most frustrating interface I've ever come across and wouldn't recommend it unless you're desperate to use the Groupon (which I was at the time).
Nov 14, 2013
9 posts
Georgetown, ON
enwhyRFD wrote:
Nov 24th, 2014 11:41 am
I have used photobook canada in the past (2 yrs ago), and did not encounter customs fees (only standard shipping). I plan on using them soon in time for xmas.
Photobook Canada is not a Canadian site! Books are not produced here. I would advise to stick with Canadian sites like Costo's. Shoppers Drug Mart and Loblaws. Henry's also has a site. You can pick up in store and avoid shipping charges too.

Jan 28, 2016
3 posts
Beaconsfield, QC
Hi. with the current exchange rates for Canadians, I was trying to find a local Canadian company that prints out higher end quality books. I have been using MyPublisher.com since 2006 and they have a great product and great customer service. For any issues, they reprinted and resent me a new copy, and sometimes I had to return the book that had quality issues sometimes not. They have very thick paper with flat page books, many types of options that I enjoy. I received a book from Apple and I have to say their quality is not has high end. In the past 17 orders with MyPublisher I would pay an average of 80$USD for an average 92 pages per book, thus an average of 1.50$USD per page. Now with the current exchange rate, the cost will go up from a good 30$CND. I also have to include an average 17$ customs fee that I have to pay over and above the book price for each delivery!

So this is getting very expensive although I have only the best of comments to say about MyPublisher. So if any one has any recommendations and comments on your experience to give me in regards to the type of high-end photo book printer that I can order from here in Canada, I would be very grateful.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
270 upvotes
matdwyer wrote:Personally I recommend Blurb to my customers, their service, printing quality, pricing and options are top notch. We have a 15% off coupon "SCANNING15" to use at http://photobookdeal.photoscanning.ca if you're looking at that route.
Blackmajik wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 7:48 pm
Used blurb a couple of times and produced great results and will ship within Canada if the address is Canadian as well.
Do you recommend setting up ICC profiles for Blurb? Or are sRGB jpgs good enough?
Jan 8, 2006
958 posts
228 upvotes
grace1960 wrote:
This is an old thread but since I am crazy about making photo books I have tried many of the sites including Shutterfly and Mixbook (both US sites). I found out the hard way that both photobookcanada.com and Blurb.ca are not Canadian sites! Just because they have "Canada" in their name doesn't mean they actually have to be Canadian sites. The photo books from both these sites are printed in US or elsewhere and so you will have to deal with shipping and customs fees.

Photo Book sites that you can go to create books Made in Canada (with free shipping to store of your choice) include:

Happy photobooking!
Costco's Premium Phtobook - it is fantastic looking and durable quality.

"Fully customizable premium photo book that includes 30 pages, maximum of 72 pages available for additional charge. This 12'' x 12'' square album features a laminated cover, true lay-flat binding and is printed on Fujicolor Crystal Archive Album HD Paper. Choose from a variety of layouts and templates, conveniently drag and drop your photos, and easily add captions.

Ready in 12-17 days."
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
270 upvotes
grace1960 wrote:
Just used blurb. It shipped via canadapost and there were no customs fees. Every couple of weeks there's a new coupon code to use (35%-40% off). Follow them on twitter for latest discounts.

Since I'm using it for a wedding guest book, I chose proline uncoated so that people can sign on the spots that were intentionally left blank. However, my fiancee finds that she hates the texture of the photos as the paper is textured rather than smooth.