best photobook website for Canadians?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 8:27 am
Tags:
None
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
I've made about 20 books over the past 5 years.
I use both photobook canada
and blurb.

Blurb is better for larger books >100 pages
Photobook has nicer covers. and is cheaper for smaller books 40-60 pages.
They alway have deals on their site.
Jun 5, 2010
362 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Making a photo book is something I might give a try. Typically I have only done canvas prints for my specialty printing. Never taken the plunge into photo books. Based on some of the suggestions here, I will give one a try.
Mar 1, 2012
5 posts
blacks.ca is online even after the stores are closed, Canadian made in Canadian dollars and usually they have a sale.
Jun 5, 2010
362 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize their website is still up. Now with Christmas not that far away (when needing to plan ahead for gifts), I'm seriously thinking about photo books for the grandparents. Any other input?

So far we have:
Adoramapix
Artscow
blacks.ca
blurb
costco
elephoto.ca
iphoto
henry's
kwikpix
loblaws
mixbook
photobook canada
Photoinpress
pikto
shoppers drug mart
shutterfly
TLAC

To anyone who's printed with these guys before, can you recommend them?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2159 posts
372 upvotes
Guelph
You're going to get what you pay for. The album represents you. I use www.zno.com. Prices are good and quality is excellent.
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
Jun 5, 2010
362 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
I got some professional photos done of my family for the holidays. Our photographer suggested https://www.pixportal.ca/

Has anyone used them for any kind of printing? Photos, photo books, canvas/metal?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5110 posts
8987 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
Shutterfly is closing down https://www.mypublisher.com as of May 8th - you can download a pdf of your photobooks if you have created photobooks with them.

Here's the announcement and FAQ - https://www.mypublisher.com/goodbye (edit: The link isn't taking you to the goodbye page because of RFD's affiliate links - just search for mypublisher goodbye in google if you don't see the goodbye link on mypublisher's main page)

I guess I'll try costco's service for my next photobook...
Banned
Mar 28, 2017
1 posts
I can't believe MyPublisher is closing down, I heard the news a couple of weeks ago, they were in my opinion probably the most high quality photobook company out there, but I may be wrong. I printed about 18 books with them, so very sad to see them shut down
I will not be going to Shutterfly as their interface and product portfolio is lower quality. They did tel me they were looking into using MyPublisher's interface, but not done juts yet.

Can anyone give me insights on photo book printing cie's that have following criterias: Canadian locations pay in CND$$, print with high end glossy papers, flat pages, fully printed hard covers and software that is not Web Based but rather computer based. My average book value for 92 pages was average 75US$a book + 20CND$ for customs, so yes it is somewhat expensive but their quality is amazing!

Thanks
G
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6752 posts
536 upvotes
GodefroyBourB wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 10:21 am
Can anyone give me insights on photo book printing cie's that have following criterias: Canadian locations pay in CND$$, print with high end glossy papers, flat pages, fully printed hard covers and software that is not Web Based but rather computer based. My average book value for 92 pages was average 75US$a book + 20CND$ for customs, so yes it is somewhat expensive but their quality is amazing!
We're relaunching our partnerships for photo books & canvas printing so I've done a market analysis recently. PhotoInPress fits what you're looking for (CND based out of Montreal. download software, Books are printed on 200 gsm glossy paper). We're working an additional discount for our customers as well. Blurb is a cheap US option for when the dollar is good, but I've been impressed with my interactions with PhotoInPress enough to switch over to recommending them. I should have our discount codes shortly (for canvas prints we have an additional 15% for Pictorem (also out of MTL) at http://canvasprints.photoscanning.ca )
Jan 28, 2016
3 posts
Beaconsfield, QC
To matdwyer.
From what I saw on the web-site, PhotoInPress does not seem to offer flat pages, so with hardcover books, its sort of a downer! But since there in my town, I think I'll drive over and go meet them. I'll get back to you with my impressions.
Thanks

Godefroy
Jan 28, 2016
3 posts
Beaconsfield, QC
Hello Mat!
So as promised, here's the feedback I received from PhotoInPress (I translated the French response into English).
Nous n'offrons malheureusement pas l'option Page à plat. Tous nos albums sont reliés avec une épine. En ce qui concerne l'emplacement, nous n'avons pas de bureaux comme tel. Notre seul bureau officiel sert d'espace pour des réunions occasionnelles, sinon nous travaillons tous à partir de la maison. Quant à nos albums, ils sont imprimés par notre partenaire de Toronto depuis l'été dernier, suite à la fermeture de l'imprimerie montréalaise avec laquelle nous faisions affaire jusque là
Translation: Flat page layout is not offered by PhotoInPress. Their offices are not in Montreal, their "official office" serves as an occasional meeting area. All their albums are printed through a partnership out of Toronto since last summer following closure of a Montreal printing press they used to deal with.

G
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7337 posts
487 upvotes
I'm looking at making my wedding album through Adoramapix Hudson. Anyone with any feedback on quality or print quality etc?

My photos show color space of RGB and color profile of sRGB, 300dpi at 4000x2667 resolution etc.

I really like their interface, I just hope the photos come out as nice as I see it.
Aug 25, 2010
546 posts
126 upvotes
Anyone know which photobook printer(s) has the more accurate colours?

I don't need wide gamut as my setup only covers sRGB, but I'd still colours to be unadulterated and accurate to what I have in my process.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7337 posts
487 upvotes
Not a fan of the Photobook Canada prints we received. Not bad but still not as good as I had hoped.

Their books themselves are OK, we just buy them when they are cheap.

I am still hopeful that when I order my Adoramapix album that the pictures will look wonderful. Just waiting for a sale.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5110 posts
8987 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
FYI - You can now create Google Photos books in Canada - https://www.androidcentral.com/google-p ... ble-canada

Easy to create but very simple books as reviewed by Wired - https://www.wired.com/story/google-photo-books-review/

Book sizes are 7 inch square soft cover for $18 CAD or 9 inch square hard cover for $28 CAD - with 20 pages, 1 photo per page. Additional pages are 79 cents or 99 cents respectively.

Shipping for both types is $14.99