• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 5:30 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 31, 2014
23 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've recently printed a few photobooks at various places so figured I'd give it a review.

1 - Costco - we ordered a hardcover premium lay flat photobook with additional pages for the grandparents - total with tax came to about $80 for a 12"x12".
  • the tool was quite hard to learn, but once you figured out the nuances it can either be straight forward (no layout; automatically plops a picture per page, but that means cropping all my pictures since they weren't square) ; or t's actually pretty customizable if you remove the auto layout nonsense
  • I didn't realize that the pages are all glossy
  • the pages themselves are not very heavy.... was hoping for nicer, heavier paper, instead, it just feels a tiny bit thicker than their regular print photos
  • the colours are very saturated and a bit on the red side (this is true for both 4240x2830 professional newborn pictures, as well as iPhone 7 rear camera pictures)
  • for $80, i would NOT order it again
2 - Shutterfly - 8"x8" hard cover - it was free, but paid for $8 in shipping
  • the colours and prints are ok
  • the tool is actually pretty decent for doing it on my iPhone, also easy to use
  • the quality of the book overall feels cheap
  • may order it again if it's free; will not order it at regular or sale price
3 - chat book free / subscription. Shipping was $2 or $3 per book, and the subscription was $8/month for 1 book.
  • there's no layout: a photo per page, and you can add date/time and text. it's simple for what it's being advertised for, thus the interface easy to use.
  • there's no layout. it's not your regular photo book
  • the subscription mode takes a folder from your choice of source photo. For me it was my "favourites" album on my iPhone, which means i need to constantly groom my pictures to select favourites. Kinda nice to force you to do it I guess?
  • quality of the prints are very poor - the pictures from my iPhone 7 rear camera printed out grainy?!?! on a 5"x5" book!!!!
  • will not buy again
next i'm trying Zno
May 23, 2017
255 posts
68 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:42 pm
I've recently printed a few photobooks at various places so figured I'd give it a review.

1 - Costco - we ordered a hardcover premium lay flat photobook with additional pages for the grandparents - total with tax came to about $80 for a 12"x12".
  • the tool was quite hard to learn, but once you figured out the nuances it can either be straight forward (no layout; automatically plops a picture per page, but that means cropping all my pictures since they weren't square) ; or t's actually pretty customizable if you remove the auto layout nonsense
  • I didn't realize that the pages are all glossy
  • the pages themselves are not very heavy.... was hoping for nicer, heavier paper, instead, it just feels a tiny bit thicker than their regular print photos
  • the colours are very saturated and a bit on the red side (this is true for both 4240x2830 professional newborn pictures, as well as iPhone 7 rear camera pictures)
  • for $80, i would NOT order it again
2 - Shutterfly - 8"x8" hard cover - it was free, but paid for $8 in shipping
  • the colours and prints are ok
  • the tool is actually pretty decent for doing it on my iPhone, also easy to use
  • the quality of the book overall feels cheap
  • may order it again if it's free; will not order it at regular or sale price
3 - chat book free / subscription. Shipping was $2 or $3 per book, and the subscription was $8/month for 1 book.
  • there's no layout: a photo per page, and you can add date/time and text. it's simple for what it's being advertised for, thus the interface easy to use.
  • there's no layout. it's not your regular photo book
  • the subscription mode takes a folder from your choice of source photo. For me it was my "favourites" album on my iPhone, which means i need to constantly groom my pictures to select favourites. Kinda nice to force you to do it I guess?
  • quality of the prints are very poor - the pictures from my iPhone 7 rear camera printed out grainy?!?! on a 5"x5" book!!!!
  • will not buy again
next i'm trying Zno
I am ordering a flush mount 11x14 metallic glossy book from ZNO today, I will report back about it. I am also ordering 2 "parent" books, a copy in smaller format

ALSO fyi, they are having a 25% off sale right now until Nov 22
Aug 31, 2014
23 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tried ZNO and really happy with them! In fact, I've already ordered additional books for the other set of grandparents since they had a lay flat sale that ended yesterday. (25% off everything still on though)
i ordered 2 things - 1: the free little black book done via the mobile app, and 2: a lay flat hardcover 6"x6"
  • the free little black book is a 6"x6" hardcover. the mobile app asked me to pick 24 pictures, and then it automatically did the layout for me. There are minor layout changes you can do, and you can also switch the order of the pictures around. Overall pretty easy to use and the auto-layout was beautiful.
  • the lay flat book I ended up doing on my laptop because the mobile app didn't let me add additional pages, and there was limited options for layout and tooling.
  • the online tool was very easy the use, and the options are plenty and beautiful
  • the free book costed $7 to ship, and the lay flat hardcover 6"x6" ended up around $35 including shipping (USD) at 38 pages.
  • they arrived really quickly!!!!! i ordered both on Nov 9, the free book was here on Nov 14, and the other book here on Nov 16
  • I also like that the app has a step by step order status, so the lay flat book took longer because it actually took longer to produce
  • quality is very good! the paper is thick cards, like ones you'd expect for wedding albums, and the colour is true to the picture at high resolution. It feels good to hold and flip, and it's nice to look at.
  • will buy again! in fact, already ordered additional books, but at 8"x8" this time
May 23, 2017
255 posts
68 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:50 am
tried ZNO and really happy with them! In fact, I've already ordered additional books for the other set of grandparents since they had a lay flat sale that ended yesterday. (25% off everything still on though)
i ordered 2 things - 1: the free little black book done via the mobile app, and 2: a lay flat hardcover 6"x6"
  • the free little black book is a 6"x6" hardcover. the mobile app asked me to pick 24 pictures, and then it automatically did the layout for me. There are minor layout changes you can do, and you can also switch the order of the pictures around. Overall pretty easy to use and the auto-layout was beautiful.
  • the lay flat book I ended up doing on my laptop because the mobile app didn't let me add additional pages, and there was limited options for layout and tooling.
  • the online tool was very easy the use, and the options are plenty and beautiful
  • the free book costed $7 to ship, and the lay flat hardcover 6"x6" ended up around $35 including shipping (USD) at 38 pages.
  • they arrived really quickly!!!!! i ordered both on Nov 9, the free book was here on Nov 14, and the other book here on Nov 16
  • I also like that the app has a step by step order status, so the lay flat book took longer because it actually took longer to produce
  • quality is very good! the paper is thick cards, like ones you'd expect for wedding albums, and the colour is true to the picture at high resolution. It feels good to hold and flip, and it's nice to look at.
  • will buy again! in fact, already ordered additional books, but at 8"x8" this time
Great to hear. I JUST ordered a 32 page 11x14 Flush mount album with a parent book to match with the leatherette box to match. Right before I was going to order I got a email from them offering 30% off flush mount albums, so I stacked that with the thanksgiving code and ended up getting just under 30% off the entire order! I cant wait to see the results!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7367 posts
492 upvotes
oh finally, Adoramapix has Black Friday sale, 35% off. Will be ordering my wedding album this week!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7367 posts
492 upvotes
Even better, Adoramapix has a flash sale of 40% off sitewide today. Glad I checked in on them! Will be ordering my wedding album tonight.