• Jun 10th, 2018 7:01 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6855 posts
525 upvotes
Waterloo

Best pillow for side sleepers

I’ve been having a lot of neck pain lately and dr suggests changing pillows once again! I’ve tried he Costco pillows, and many other brands without success and loosing tons of money.
19 replies
Jun 19, 2006
278 posts
87 upvotes
Brantford, ON
You might want to check out this site
https://alignright.com/

A little pricey but according to my Mom and sister (they've been using these pillows for decades), they're worth every penny.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6855 posts
525 upvotes
Waterloo
lizardlips wrote:
May 25th, 2018 6:40 pm
You might want to check out this site
https://alignright.com/

A little pricey but according to my Mom and sister (they've been using these pillows for decades), they're worth every penny.
Thanks doesn’t look that expensive tho plus I’m supporting a Canadian business
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4359 posts
2332 upvotes
Honestly...

Pillows are a consumable item.

You spend about 1/3 of your life / day / week asleep... so @ approx 56 Hours Use per week, they get a lot of wear & tear and hence are not going to last long. Expect to replace them often for maximum comfort / usefulness

Once you are of that mindset... that they all wear out... then you’ll realize that you don’t necessarily need to buy the Uber expensive pillow to get a good nights sleep... you can easily get by with something cheaper that you replace often once “the loft” is gone

SO has sleep issues... we have tried dang near every pillow out there... once we got our heads around the concept, we stopped chasing the ultimate pillow at 100s of Dollars... and now just buy our pillows from regular chain stores, BUT we replace often. So every 12 to 18 months we now buy new pillows labelled / constructed for our sleep style (side, stomach, back) and don’t spend a fortune, often finding them on sale at the likes of Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Bay etc
Dec 24, 2011
570 posts
121 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
May 26th, 2018 1:22 am
Honestly...

Pillows are a consumable item.

You spend about 1/3 of your life / day / week asleep... so @ approx 56 Hours Use per week, they get a lot of wear & tear and hence are not going to last long. Expect to replace them often for maximum comfort / usefulness

Once you are of that mindset... that they all wear out... then you’ll realize that you don’t necessarily need to buy the Uber expensive pillow to get a good nights sleep... you can easily get by with something cheaper that you replace often once “the loft” is gone

SO has sleep issues... we have tried dang near every pillow out there... once we got our heads around the concept, we stopped chasing the ultimate pillow at 100s of Dollars... and now just buy our pillows from regular chain stores, BUT we replace often. So every 12 to 18 months we now buy new pillows labelled / constructed for our sleep style (side, stomach, back) and don’t spend a fortune, often finding them on sale at the likes of Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Bay etc
Everyone's different. The best sleeps I've had were pillows that were broken in, I rarely can fall asleep easily with a new pillow unless it's the perfect loft and cushioning, which is very, very rate.
Feb 24, 2018
75 posts
23 upvotes
Which was the Costco pillow that you got, the Novaform one cos I've been meaning to get that.

Also the thing I don't understand about side-sleeper pillows is how come they're always so firm? You wake up with a sore ear lol. The best one I ever slept on was some cheap thin but still fluffy/soft one. Never found one like that again, all the thin ones I see are always too form and lacking in softness.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15915 posts
1299 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
I just got over one of the most excruciating period of sleep cramps of my life. The cramps I got 3-4 days ago after my nights rest was brutal that I couldn't move my head left or right without feeling like my head was in a vice.

I'm a side and stomach sleeper. Never was comfortable with sleeping on my back unless I had really bad back pains then I endure.

I've bought everything from cheap Walmart $10 pillows to Ikea's $40 memory foam ones. The best ones that I've found were the cheap ones. Once they lose their firmness I replace them. I do like my pillow on the softer side.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6855 posts
525 upvotes
Waterloo
PHuth2 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 4:51 am
Which was the Costco pillow that you got, the Novaform one cos I've been meaning to get that.

Also the thing I don't understand about side-sleeper pillows is how come they're always so firm? You wake up with a sore ear lol. The best one I ever slept on was some cheap thin but still fluffy/soft one. Never found one like that again, all the thin ones I see are always too form and lacking in softness.
The ones they sold in the store but now they have a different box. It’s great in the start but eventually months pass it gets worse.

May end up buying Walmart crap and quite honestly I never slept with no pillow last night and it was the best sleep ever lol
Dec 25, 2006
274 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use this pillow.

I'm a side sleeper and have been using these pillows for years. There's two separate sections for support plus you can "fold" it to get even more support(what I do).
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4293 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
i use this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00PLM47AG/ref ... 00_TE_item

the high loft-ness of this pillow makes this perfect for side sleepers. Bought it for $35 last yr
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): 2 Queen St East or Eaton Centre (or nearby places)
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10635 posts
1023 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Go to a chiropractic wholesaler... they offer the best legit deals on pillows that work. They sell to the public.

I use Therapeutica Ultimate Cervical Sleeping Pillow.
https://therapeuticainc.com/sleeping_pillow.html
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1066 posts
19 upvotes
You should try a water pillow. I got one about 2 months ago and I love it. You can fill it up to your liking...for me I found that 3.5L was perfect. My SO prefers 4L.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4293 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
boneca wrote:
May 29th, 2018 11:55 am
You should try a water pillow. I got one about 2 months ago and I love it. You can fill it up to your liking...for me I found that 3.5L was perfect. My SO prefers 4L.
i had one and you could hear the water swooshing around in there. Was annoying
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): 2 Queen St East or Eaton Centre (or nearby places)
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5974 posts
1210 upvotes
I'm mostly a back sleeper with occasional turns to the side. I bought low-profile latex pillows from Amazon and been happy for 5 years.

They have a bit of bounce to them and are neither too firm or soft. I don't believe they flatten in the same way other usual pillow materials do.

Only drawback is I can't bunch it up to fluff in a ball when I want to sit up a bit to read. :)