• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2005 1:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
Pavel wrote: As far as high-end cruiselines go, I believe Crystal Cruises is really up there and beats Princess hands-down.
Crystal cruises is in a league of its own. Have you compared the price of a Crystal cruise vs the mainstream? (Princess, RCL, HAL, Carnival)
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
Pavel wrote:For someone that has only been on Princess, you are dead-on with your assessment of Carnival. This line is totally inconsisent with their quality and service. If you check out the cruising newsgroups and others, you will see that many share that same sentiment. I also remember reading how these party animals on Carnival got so carried away that they threw the deck chairs into the ocean. Carnival ended up charging them only to replace the chairs when they should've thrown them off the ship.

That's just one example and makes them me want to avoid them completely. Their bad reputation will stick with them like glue. It also doesnt help that a lot of spammers promote Carnival.
I have been on most of the mainstream cruiselines, and I'd say that Carnival is the worst of them all. The staff have absolutely no control over the passengers. To name a few, no one seemed to enforce the formal dining dress code, passengers often walked into the buffet with just their swimsuit/trunk despite a big sign at the entrance that says cover ups required. At night, the rowdy partying was heard in the staterooms as the passengers walked through the halls.

If the choices were go on Carnival or stay home, I'd stay home and save my vacation $$$ and time for something else.
Jul 15, 2003
246 posts
BC
Well, for those of you in the GVRD and are looking for a travel agent who specializes in cruises, I've included one at the end of this post. (FYI: I am in no way benefiting in any way from refering you to this agency)

This summer would be the second time I've used her services and both times she's gotten me prices better than what I've found online, plus tons of practical additional info.

Katherine Travel
Katherine Travel Services
2729 Main Street, Vancouver, BC V5T3E9
(604) 879-8393

Edit:
This summer heading on a 7day Alaska cruise on Celebrity for just over $1000 per person/double occupency. This is including all taxes and is in mid August. The rooms though are the cheapest ones possible(inside cabin), but I'm not too concerned as its just for sleeping.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
gon9925 wrote:
This summer heading on a 7day Alaska cruise on Celebrity for just over $1000 per person/double occupency. This is including all taxes and is in mid August. The rooms though are the cheapest ones possible(inside cabin), but I'm not too concerned as its just for sleeping.
I hate to burst your bubble. This summer, actual late last month there were some awesome deals to Alaska from Vancouver. A 7 night was $399 + taxes and port charges. Then there was another one, for 11 nights from Vancouver for $499 + taxes. A few years ago, we were on the Mercury for $499 + taxes for 7 nights to Alaska.

I have found the Ma and Pa agencies don't have the buying power as the big ones so they are unable to pass on the savings to their clients.
Jul 15, 2003
246 posts
BC
Pavel wrote:I hate to burst your bubble. This summer, actual late last month there were some awesome deals to Alaska from Vancouver. A 7 night was $399 + taxes and port charges. Then there was another one, for 11 nights from Vancouver for $499 + taxes. A few years ago, we were on the Mercury for $499 + taxes for 7 nights to Alaska.

I have found the Ma and Pa agencies don't have the buying power as the big ones so they are unable to pass on the savings to their clients.
Yeah I know in May there are awsome deals, but I'm talking about mid August (Hot season right?).

If you could find a Vancouver roundtrip Alaska cruise in mid Aug, with double occupancy for under $1000 let me know, cause I'd love to save some extra $$$ (Trip is placed on hold, have to pay by the end of the week though).

I've seen some great deals on repositioning cruises and offpeak times avaliable but unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit that.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
4462 posts
4129 upvotes
Try this site. All they do are cruises.

http://www.crucon.com/

And remember, if your travel agent quote you in Canadian $, you may want to inquire if you can pay with US $. Often, you'll be able to save some $ on the exchange with your Credit Card Company rather than the Cruise line or the wholesaler.

Personally, I think RCCL has the best hardware on Sea. I don't think there are more innovative Cruise Ship out there than their Voyager Class ship. And what they are doing to their older vessels like stretching the Enchantment of the Sea. I'm looking forward to going on the Freedom of the Sea when it comes out.

If you haven't already done so, check out Cruisecritic.com
Jul 21, 2004
102 posts
3 upvotes
just thought i would share my cruise shopping experience:

i called around 10 places (2 online, 8 B&M) , only around 7 got back to me. all were in about 50 dollars of each other except for 1 place, which was around 300 cheaper per person.

cruise holidays of unionville
9 940 2666

i hope all goes well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)