Automotive

Best place to buy brake rotors and pads?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2012 6:42 am
Tags:
None
Jan 16, 2007
895 posts
136 upvotes

Best place to buy brake rotors and pads?

My wife's Xterra needs a brake job. For what I can tell, it's an easy job with lots of online video's and walkthroughs. Question though, where to buy rotors and pads from? Looked at JC Whitney and the raybestos ones I looked at, they would not ship across the boarder. Rock Auto will but it cost more to ship them than the parts themselves. Any local Canadian retailers to spend my money with or should I look at Ebay or similar? Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24597 posts
2344 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't know where in Alberta you are but there must be a lot of auto parts stores in a city near you. Check them. There are so many brands of brake parts that I am sure you will find one in your price range.
Having said that, I personally would not be comfortable putting the cheapest parts on the only thing that makes me stop. Some things are just not worth "cheapening " out on. As always, you get what you pay for. Quality costs.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4200 upvotes
Sourcing parts yourself online would be the cheapest option.
May 8, 2003
246 posts
21 upvotes
I just finished doing my Xterra's front pads. Rotors were fine. Are you sure you need new rotors? I had some slight scoring on one of the rotors but it had no effect. I am sure a brake shop would try to convince your otherwise.

I picked up the pads at Rock Auto. I agree the shipping price "looks" high be don't forget that is tax as well as any brokerage fees. I picked up Raybestos ceramic pads. Just make sure you are not shipping from 2 locations. Autopartsway and CTC (besides having fewer options) were more expensive. Especially the ceramic versions.

PS: My caliper bolts were frozen pretty solid. I happened to have a breaker bar that just fit inside the wheel wheel and caliper. And that did the trick with a few yanks. At first it did not look like I would have any room to rotate the bar but it just fits. I also had to sacrifice a Dollar Store turkey baster to withdraw some brake fluid from the reservoir.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2007
895 posts
136 upvotes
ells wrote:
Jul 1st, 2012 10:14 am
I just finished doing my Xterra's front pads. Rotors were fine. Are you sure you need new rotors? I had some slight scoring on one of the rotors but it had no effect. I am sure a brake shop would try to convince your otherwise.

I picked up the pads at Rock Auto. I agree the shipping price "looks" high be don't forget that is tax as well as any brokerage fees. I picked up Raybestos ceramic pads. Just make sure you are not shipping from 2 locations. Autopartsway and CTC (besides having fewer options) were more expensive. Especially the ceramic versions.

PS: My caliper bolts were frozen pretty solid. I happened to have a breaker bar that just fit inside the wheel wheel and caliper. And that did the trick with a few yanks. At first it did not look like I would have any room to rotate the bar but it just fits. I also had to sacrifice a Dollar Store turkey baster to withdraw some brake fluid from the reservoir.

Thanks, I'll take a look to see the rotor condition but thats a good suggestion on the pads and turkey baster....
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4683 posts
727 upvotes
BC
canadiantj wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 2:00 am
Thanks, I'll take a look to see the rotor condition but thats a good suggestion on the pads and turkey baster....
It's not just a case of scoring on the rotor face.

You should measure the thickness with vernier calipers, in a couple of places, and check those measurements against the min. spec.

If you don't have a measuring instrument, feeling the amount of lip on the edge of the rotor can give you something to go on.

Depends on how old your Xterra is - I don't think anyone here can tell you that your rotors do or don't need to be changed.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
2776 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
Is $75 good for just labour to replace front rotors and pads ?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4683 posts
727 upvotes
BC
ells wrote:
Jul 1st, 2012 10:14 am
I also had to sacrifice a Dollar Store turkey baster to withdraw some brake fluid from the reservoir.
There is another option that avoids the risk of dripping brake fluid on painted surfaces inside your engine bay, or even worse places like your fender.

Attach a bit of tubing to a caliper bleeder valve, then undo it a bit and patiently let fluid drip slowly into a small container for about 15 minutes while you do something else.

A benefit of this is that you are getting rid of some fluid that was the most likely to be degraded (at the end of the line). And that gravity drip will not introduce any air.

So long as you prevent anyone from depressing the brake pedal for that 15 mins., and you must not drain so much off that the reservoir level goes way below Min.

May vary between makes and models, but I find that if you start at Max. fluid level with new pads, even when front and/or rear are in need of replacement, fluid is still above the Min. level.

That is, avoid trying to keep the fluid level topped up while pads are wearing down - as long as it is reasonably above Min. everything is fine.

Then, creating clearance for new pads to be fitted doesn't require any fluid to be drained. Unless you want to do a biennial or triennial brake fluid replacement while you are at it.

Choose whatever approach you feel comfortable with, but be aware of your options.
Feb 19, 2006
365 posts
34 upvotes
Thorold
i'd be interested in knowing of quality rotors , from what i have been told , most rotors and drums now are crap . are there higher end aftermarkets that are worth buying . my wifes mazda 6 has "warped " rotors and mazda won't repair them under warranty as we are at 30 ks , even though we are well under a year.

i don't mind replacing them i just want to avoid having to do this every nine months or so , that i can't really afford. it seems somebody must make a good quality part for this vehicle. input on pads would be appreciated as well. thanks in advance.

i have been told by many reputable mechanics that even the original manufacturers parts are junk.
Jan 16, 2006
701 posts
50 upvotes
I just did my brakes a couple weeks ago.

Rotors: ATE PremiumOne (slotted & cryo treated)
Bought at CT when they were 1/2 off a few months ago
Pads: Akebono ProAct ceramic pads
RockAuto and amazon.com were the same price. I went with amazon
Third party reseller because amazon doesn't ship car parts to Canada
Plus I had an amazon coupon to use up
Other than seized caliper bracket bolts (had to use an acetylene torch) the brake job went smoothly. Those parts are good quality aftermarket parts. So far they perform better than the old Nissan parts I replaced. No squeeling and they bite very well. Ceramic pads supposedly cause less dust so your wheels won't get as dirty. Cost me $300 tax & shipping included for all 4 rotors and both sets of pads.

Hope this info helps.
May 22, 2011
266 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Best place to buy auto parts is rockauto. They're a US company, so shipping to Canada is a bit pricey. I usually have them shipped to a FedEx outlet close to the border, then I drive across and get them.
× < >