• Sep 14th, 2018 10:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 23, 2001
585 posts
16 upvotes
North Bay, ON

Best place to buy Danish Krones?

Headed to Denmark in a bit, among other EU destinations. Leaving from Pearson.

I'm in the process of reading through other threads on where to get the best rates on Euros / GBP but I haven't come across any specific to Denmark. Anyone have any tips?

In an ideal world, I'd use my Scotia Passport for everything but the more I read, the more it seems like having cash on hand is a good idea as plastic isn't accepted everywhere yet.

That either means relying on my Scotia / Tangerine debit visa (Global ATM Alliance) for withdrawing cash one we arrive, or pulling out some to have on hand as we land.
Heat: 159-0-0
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7761 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
when I was in Copenhagen only one Italian joint did not accept credit cards and had to use cash.
the food was superb though.
Everywhere I went the credit card transactions went smoothly.
In Prague although things were cheap, the machines would often ask if you wanted them to do the conversion.
I did it once and realized it was not a good rate, so everytime after I'd forgo this and just let my credit card company do the conversion.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4136 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
Can't speak to rural Denmark, if you're going there, but I've spent a few months in Copenhagen and didn't find a single place where plastic wasn't expected (expected, not just accepted). Credit cards were the default option. Even the street side vendors had those remote terminals. Honestly after the first week, I never used cash. The Danish people I worked with, even simple things like paying someone back for coffee, it was always done electronically through apps, never saw cash. Taxis, etc. - all cards.

My tip if you're staying in the big cities would be to change a small amount of cash, "just in case", and not worry so much about the exchange rate since it's such a small amount. Like $50.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2001
585 posts
16 upvotes
North Bay, ON
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated. We're not there long - landing in Copenhagen and headed to Billund then taking the train into Germany. Sounds like we'll be safe with a few "Crowns" on-hand.

What about buses or other public transit? That was my wife's primary concern.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4136 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
Invincible wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 7:31 pm
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated. We're not there long - landing in Copenhagen and headed to Billund then taking the train into Germany. Sounds like we'll be safe with a few "Crowns" on-hand.

What about buses or other public transit? That was my wife's primary concern.
I would just get a Rejsekort - electronic "tap" travel card (like Presto but more reliable). Works all over the country. Easy to reload. All machines will have an English option, and all Danish railways' customer-facing staff will speak English. In fact I never encountered anyone who didn't speak English really well.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2001
585 posts
16 upvotes
North Bay, ON
Manatus wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:15 pm
I would just get a Rejsekort - electronic "tap" travel card (like Presto but more reliable). Works all over the country. Easy to reload. All machines will have an English option, and all Danish railways' customer-facing staff will speak English. In fact I never encountered anyone who didn't speak English really well.
That's awesome, great to know and not what I would have expected!

OT question: what did you do for cell connectivity? My research thus far shows that only Lebara still offers prepaid options that allow tethering - I just haven't been able to confirm if you can tether while roaming around Europe or only in Denmark.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4136 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
Invincible wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 10:33 pm
That's awesome, great to know and not what I would have expected!

OT question: what did you do for cell connectivity? My research thus far shows that only Lebara still offers prepaid options that allow tethering - I just haven't been able to confirm if you can tether while roaming around Europe or only in Denmark.
Ah, possibly a useless answer - I used to work in the UK, so I had a "Three" SIM card that included roaming across the EU. Most (all?) of the British providers did the same. I think it might be an EU thing, that all EU-based SIM cards include EU roaming? I'm not quite sure. I think you can buy a prepaid "Three" SIM card that will work across the EU, but I don't know if that's the best deal, and I don't know if they strictly allow tethering.

You could also use an app such as FoxFi to allow you to disguise tethering and potentially do it with providers that don't allow tethering - I can't guarantee it will work in all instances, but it's a popular app.

Re: English - honestly, everyone I encountered in Copenhagen spoke English really well (I mean at a Native level or close to it, not "really well for a second language"), and absolutely without hesitation. I never encountered any "oh, you don't want to speak our language?" attitude at all, potentially unlike another, uh, quasi-bilingual area much closer to home. ;)
[OP]
Dec 23, 2001
585 posts
16 upvotes
North Bay, ON
Manatus wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 10:52 pm
Ah, possibly a useless answer - I used to work in the UK, so I had a "Three" SIM card that included roaming across the EU. Most (all?) of the British providers did the same. I think it might be an EU thing, that all EU-based SIM cards include EU roaming? I'm not quite sure. I think you can buy a prepaid "Three" SIM card that will work across the EU, but I don't know if that's the best deal, and I don't know if they strictly allow tethering.

You could also use an app such as FoxFi to allow you to disguise tethering and potentially do it with providers that don't allow tethering - I can't guarantee it will work in all instances, but it's a popular app.

Re: English - honestly, everyone I encountered in Copenhagen spoke English really well (I mean at a Native level or close to it, not "really well for a second language"), and absolutely without hesitation. I never encountered any "oh, you don't want to speak our language?" attitude at all, potentially unlike another, uh, quasi-bilingual area much closer to home. ;)
Right. Three was one of the carriers I had a close eye on. Yes sometime over the past 1.5-2 years the EU abolished roaming fees (as per my research) so that is quite common. What I've learned is that many times you only get a fraction of your allowable usage outside the country you purchase it in. We land in London so my plan was to grab a SIM there but it's just a short layover complicated further by it being a Sunday. The carriers I had been looking at don't open until 2 hours before our flight to Denmark leaves, the earliest. That feels like it would be cutting it close.

I had not heard of FoxFi - thanks for the tip! Three has an "all you can eat" prepaid plan that includes 30GB of tethering (it's the only prepaid one that supports it) which I'm tempted by, but I was drawn more to Vodafone (which I don't believe allows tethering) because of actual 4G in more places outside the UK. I've read connectivity "horror stories" in Italy, for example.

Huh, well from a tourist's perspective, that's quite handy. Between that and translation apps (which won't make us look like tourists when using at all... :rolleyes: ) we should be more than fine then.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15129 posts
5404 upvotes
We just went through TD. Our plan was to just bring enough for a couple cab rides and a meal. That way no matter what we have enough to get to the hotel. In Copenhagen I don't even think we used all the Krones we brought because CC was just so widely accepted until the very end when we burned through it (to save on the exchange from selling back to the bank).

I know you're not asking advice but if your hotel is near here it has AMAZING sandwiches that they use their pizza dough recipe for:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_R ... aland.html
Our hotel was a budget one (one of those "modern" tiny rooms) a block away and we ate here several times because it was just that good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)