None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1058 posts
107 upvotes
Markham

Best place to buy drywall/studs/building supplies

Hello

Where is the best/chepest place to buy everything needed to finish a basement? I have a contractor who is going to be doing the job for me, but I am going to get the material.

Is a place like Home depot the cheapest? any other suggestions?

I know I can get HD gift cards for 10-15-20% off, so I would take that into consideration.

Any hints guys/gals?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4150 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Isn't the contractor supplying these things?

If this is a regular thing they do they'll be purchasing from somewhere on a regular basis, know the product and be able to install it appropriately.
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
Dec 24, 2007
478 posts
21 upvotes
Kingston
Know the product and install it properly? Pretty sure that 14/2, 14/3, 2x4 and drywall are about the same no matter where they come from... :razz:

Anyways, homes mentioned, usually the contractor supplies these items... For one, the pricing they get is usually quite a bit better than what you'd get walking in. Wether or not that savings is passed on to you is completely another story though...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4150 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
MaDgamEr wrote:
May 24th, 2008 8:07 am
Know the product and install it properly? Pretty sure that 14/2, 14/3, 2x4 and drywall are about the same no matter where they come from... :razz:
Not really no. For example there are differences purchasing from a dedicated lumber yard as opposed to Home Depot.. You'll get straight wood from a lumber yard :)

The electrician should be supplying their own wire.

Plumbers supplying their own fixtures, etc..
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1058 posts
107 upvotes
Markham
The contractor is a pro. but he is also a friend of mine. He Says he will get a good deal on the stuff, and I will pay actual cost, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any hidden gems.
× < >