Food & Drink

Best Place to Buy Fruits and Vegetables.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 11:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 11, 2007
300 posts
44 upvotes

Best Place to Buy Fruits and Vegetables.

Got a new juicer and looking to put it to work. I am looking for the best place to get Good Quality Fruits and Vegetables at an affordable price in North York/Scarborough.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15913 posts
1272 upvotes
GTA West
I find the produce at T&T is actually pretty good.
If you feel like really spending some dough, try Longos or Whole Foods.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1923 posts
76 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 11:40 pm
You're saying granny smith apples are different from whole foods vs no frills?
Jun 4, 2008
213 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got a new juicer as well and went to Highland farms yesterday and walked out with two grocery bags full for $18. I have no idea how that compares to the other stores though. I have always liked their produce.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 11:40 pm
wow, he got a lot out of your post, eh?
it's like he's a mind reader.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15913 posts
1272 upvotes
GTA West
ur_funneh wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 9:53 am
You're saying granny smith apples are different from whole foods vs no frills?
Fruits and vegetables do come in different grades, i.e. Extra Fancy, Fancy, Commercial Grade, etc. If you want the really nice fruits, you might have to go to a higher end grocery store that charges higher prices.

Particularly in the Winter, this is going to be expensive. No way around it.
ippon wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 1:32 pm
wow, he got a lot out of your post, eh?
it's like he's a mind reader.
Not sure what you mean here.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 4, 2006
750 posts
67 upvotes
IIRC in the commercial setting, most juice producers purchase 2nd grade or free fall fruit. The fruit itself is perfectly fine to eat, it's just not aesthetically perfect (i.e. lopsided oranges or slightly bruised apples)*. Giving fruit producers a hard time selling to supermarkets and end consumers. So I think it'd be more practical to follow this practice and purchase fruit on the cheaper side from Chinese grocery stores, No-Frills, etc, as juicing can be quite expensive.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16163 posts
3598 upvotes
+1 above.
There's nothing wrong with "ugly" fruit. It just doesn't look like the fruit we're used to seeing in the grocery store.
It's still tasty and perfectly edible. Just not so easy on the eyes.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15913 posts
1272 upvotes
GTA West
death_hawk wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 7:44 pm
+1 above.
There's nothing wrong with "ugly" fruit. It just doesn't look like the fruit we're used to seeing in the grocery store.
It's still tasty and perfectly edible. Just not so easy on the eyes.
True enough, I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, but it makes sense. Though I should mention that sometimes the fruit at lower-end places like No Frills has gotten so nasty that it's growing mould. In this case, I think it's better to upgrade to a different grocery store rather than juicing cheap mouldy fruit.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16163 posts
3598 upvotes
"ugly" != Rotten.

Even Grade A Fancy fruit can have mold on it. But the markets selling the Grade A Fancy at Grade A Fancy prices can afford to get staff to look a little more closely at their product to make sure it's not rotten.

Something I completely forgot: If you're planning on going through a large volume of produce (which you are) try a restaurant wholesaler.
You can get a case of something for the same price as buying 1/4 case (or less) at retail. Case lot produce is DIRT cheap.
The problem? It's not usually Grade A Fancy.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
T&T Supermarket usually has a shelf for "soon to be old" fruits and vegetables
and the price is cheaper

also- try making avocado milkshakes

http://www.google.ca/search?client=oper ... 8&oe=utf-8

-
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Nov 4, 2006
750 posts
67 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 8:21 pm
True enough, I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, but it makes sense. Though I should mention that sometimes the fruit at lower-end places like No Frills has gotten so nasty that it's growing mould. In this case, I think it's better to upgrade to a different grocery store rather than juicing cheap mouldy fruit.
No one is telling him to buy bad or rotten fruit/vegetables. I'm just saying the OP doesn't need to go all the way to Whole Foods to buy premium-priced, organic, hand rubbed by virgins produce that all look aesthetically perfect, when he/she can just as easily go to No-Frills that has a 10lb bag of carrots on sale for $2. Sure the carrots from No-Frills may be ugly, misshapen, and over-sized, but when all you're after is just the juice and all that remains is a dry unrecognizable dry pulp, do aesthetically perfect produce matter that much?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5448 posts
564 upvotes
Mississauga
Highland Farms
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8349 posts
2506 upvotes
Ottawa
jaxx lite wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 9:09 pm
T&T Supermarket usually has a shelf for "soon to be old" fruits and vegetables
and the price is cheaper-
This. Most grocery stores have a rack like this at the back of the grocery store with 50-80% off stickers. I usually pick up whatever is there to make shakes in the next couple days...try vegetables in your shakes if they're cheap (juicing might not work with stuff that has little water). I've made some with green beans, peppers, cabbage, onions which were pretty good. My usual staples though are kale, celery, cucumber, garlic, spinach.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2879 posts
242 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 10:09 am
This. Most grocery stores have a rack like this at the back of the grocery store with 50-80% off stickers. I usually pick up whatever is there to make shakes in the next couple days...try vegetables in your shakes if they're cheap (juicing might not work with stuff that has little water). I've made some with green beans, peppers, cabbage, onions which were pretty good. My usual staples though are kale, celery, cucumber, garlic, spinach.
Same. This cart is where I almost exclusively look to buy my banana's. Who wants to buy a bunch and wait several days for them to ripen, when they are ripe and ready to eat off these carts. And cheaper.

The difference between say organic and not (apart from the obvious pesticides, etc) is that most (read: all) non-organic produce is waxed. Now, that isn't saying that all organic isn't; you have to ask the grocery store manager. But trust me when I say that you do not want to consume the waxes used to preserve fruit and veg. At the very least, peel the fruit/vegetables.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
× < >