• Nov 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes

Best place to buy glasses

What’s the place to buy glasses?
I always went LensCrafters as a kid with my parents. Havnt gone in a while, where do you guys go?
21 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4664 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
check out bonlook

i would definitely check this place out if i needed glasses
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:44 pm
check out bonlook

i would definitely check this place out if i needed glasses
I’ll look into it. No locations near me though, what’s the difference between them and LensCrafters?
Seems LensCrafters and Costco was the more popular options. I never do online ones because the headache of returns / exchanges

I’m going to go to these two and see which ones better. I’m a pretty simple guy, glasses that make me see good is all I need
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4664 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 10:46 am
I’ll look into it. No locations near me though, what’s the difference between them and LensCrafters?

Seems LensCrafters and Costco was the more popular options. I never do online ones because the headache of returns / exchanges

I’m going to go to these two and see which ones better. I’m a pretty simple guy, glasses that make me see good is all I need
bonlook makes their own glasses where LenCrafters sells designer branded (owned by Luxottica) glasses.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17901 posts
2586 upvotes
GTA West
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:09 pm
I always went LensCrafters as a kid with my parents. Havnt gone in a while, where do you guys go?
I'm not in Toronto, but I always had the best luck when going to small mom & pop places.
Had excellent results from a local guy who started in the industry as a young kid being trianed by his dad, who was an optician before him.
Now I go to a place that is run by a brother / sister team, both opticians.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:09 pm
I've been buying from Factory Optical for the last few years. Not the one with the flashy website and multiple locations, the single shop with the odd location and no website. Good prices, decent selection, good after-sale service.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2651855 ... 384!8i8192
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Dec 14, 2008
43 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
I hate shopping for glasses and A pair you like will be discontinued within 2 years of purchase
So I've been buying retro browline glass frames from Shuron.com - Georgia since 2007 . and getting prescription lenses done in Canada
(otherwise there is duty and taxes)
_
So I had lenses done at Costco last week . Their prices are great.

But ... bifocal prescription 1.67 in a n Artcraft clubmaster frame OK, the other order - polarized sunglasses in a Shuron Ronsir frame came back damaged . Don't even think they started making the lenses.

And as is Costco policy - you are on your own , If you bring Costco an outside frame - extra fee of$18 going to $30.
If Costco damages the frame . They won't repair or replace.

The nosepiece was broken by the Costco lab in Montreal - even with specific instructions for the lab to not manipulate it.
This is a weak spot for Shuron frames from my experience.
So now , I'm looking to repair this frame . Last time , I broke the nosepiece off repair cost was $50 !
Last edited by David MacF on Oct 28th, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
Hm I’m looking for more tried and true companies. I’d be too paranoid about trying a company that isn’t well known.

It’s crazy Costco won’t help you if they break your glasses, seems pretty rediculous. I was going to ask if I discontinue membership how would the warranty work, sounds like I’ll be out of luck

Anyone try clearly? They’re extremely cheap compared to LensCrafters as I’ve heard of them
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7181 posts
1442 upvotes
Mississauga
I went into Bonlook the other day and thought the frames all looked the same and boring.

I bought my glasses two years ago at Kanda Optical (Mississauga). Great quality lens and service. I had a problem with one of the lenses and they replaced them.

I had bought glasses from Costco before . Their frames are old styles and I thought the lens quality was way below what Kanda offered. The prices weren't cheap. Also you get different service quality and wrong prices from one Costco to the next. (Heartland offers awful service).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 7, 2009
229 posts
89 upvotes
burbs
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:25 pm
Hm I’m looking for more tried and true companies. I’d be too paranoid about trying a company that isn’t well known.

It’s crazy Costco won’t help you if they break your glasses, seems pretty rediculous. I was going to ask if I discontinue membership how would the warranty work, sounds like I’ll be out of luck

Anyone try clearly? They’re extremely cheap compared to LensCrafters as I’ve heard of them
Our family has probably bought 15 pairs over the last 10 years at Clearly. Service has been always excellent. Prices have gone up over the years (obviously) but the no hassle return for ANY REASON is worth it. If your prescription is single vision then you will get them in a few days.

We have recently bought 4 pairs of glasses at the the Fortinos/Loblaws/Great Canadian in-store optician. We have a PC credit card and used our PC Points for them. They have half price sales occasionally and thats when to buy on points. Selection was decent. Just got in a good selection of Ray-Bans. I believe they have Essilor lenses.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1541 posts
309 upvotes
I've bought from Clearly Contacts twice and while cheap, it requires my own measurement for some distances between my eye and between my pupils - which was fine on one pair of glasses, but the second pair gave me a headache which was clear something was off with those numbers. The lens start to becoming yellow after a while. All in all, it's definitely cheap and has a chance of being just fine, but after this experience I've opted to go somewhere with a physical location just so I'm able to take a pair of glasses back if need be.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6902 posts
1203 upvotes
People still buying their glasses in brick and mortar stores ? I only buy glasses online these days and around 6-10 pairs with each order !
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1541 posts
309 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:43 pm
People still buying their glasses in brick and mortar stores ? I only buy glasses online these days and around 6-10 pairs with each order !
It's one of those purchases that actually benefit from being in a brick and mortar store. It's great for you that everything's fine with your face, but for instance i know one of my ears is higher than the other, so a perfectly balanced pair of glasses isn't great for me. I have a short nose, so some types of glasses just slide right off my nose or is pressed too much into my face. As I said, I've definitely tried ordering online and I can see that may work better for some people, but it's not for everyone.
Last edited by kmarcie on Nov 5th, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15835 posts
2122 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:26 am
It's one of those purchases that actually benefit from being in a brick and mortar stores. It's great for you that everything's fine with your face, but for instance i know one of my ears is higher than the other, so a perfectly balanced pair of glasses isn't great for me. I have a short nose, so some types of glasses just slide right off my nose or is pressed too much into my face. As I said, I've definitely tried ordering online and I can see that may work better for some people, but it's not for everyone.
+1
I'd have never found my favourite frame company without trying a bunch of different ones in store and obsessing over the small details without going to a brick-and-mortar. I tried ordering online and was never really satisfied with what I got, even though the price was good. I usually go to Three Owls Optics at First Markham Place.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?