Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2690 posts
540 upvotes
Oshawa
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:09 pm
What’s the place to buy glasses?
I always went LensCrafters as a kid with my parents. Havnt gone in a while, where do you guys go?
Good Eyes Optical inside Pacific Mall.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Oct 3, 2018
121 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 1:39 pm
I've bought from Clearly Contacts twice and while cheap, it requires my own measurement for some distances between my eye and between my pupils - which was fine on one pair of glasses, but the second pair gave me a headache which was clear something was off with those numbers. The lens start to becoming yellow after a while. All in all, it's definitely cheap and has a chance of being just fine, but after this experience I've opted to go somewhere with a physical location just so I'm able to take a pair of glasses back if need be.
Lol I contacted clearly.ca for a family member and they asked for PD pupillary distance ... huh?

Now I know what that is :)

Hmm, maybe better off going to a store to get fitted. Often times we need to get arms or nose piece adjusted by the optician. How does that work with clearly.ca?!
May 23, 2017
748 posts
237 upvotes
im another vote for Kanda Optical, their service is very good. I have 2 pairs so far from them and I am happy.
Got that Zoomer account!
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6905 posts
1203 upvotes
kmarcie wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:26 am
It's one of those purchases that actually benefit from being in a brick and mortar store. It's great for you that everything's fine with your face, but for instance i know one of my ears is higher than the other, so a perfectly balanced pair of glasses isn't great for me. I have a short nose, so some types of glasses just slide right off my nose or is pressed too much into my face. As I said, I've definitely tried ordering online and I can see that may work better for some people, but it's not for everyone.
Actually the brick and mortar stores will try to sell you whatever frames they have in stock to get rid of their inventory. Did you know that every frame style should come in three sizes mainly; small, medium and large ? Since these stores don't what that much inventory they always stock the larger sizes and then they need to bend the crap out of it to fit your face.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6905 posts
1203 upvotes
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:18 pm
Lol I contacted clearly.ca for a family member and they asked for PD pupillary distance ... huh?

Now I know what that is :)

Hmm, maybe better off going to a store to get fitted. Often times we need to get arms or nose piece adjusted by the optician. How does that work with clearly.ca?!
If you get the right sized frame there is very little to no bending required, the thing with the stores is that they stock mostly the larger sizes as an one size fit all solution and then bend the heck out of it to fit your face. Even if you have to bend it is very simple just have a pot of hot water to warm up the temple and bend with your fingers or needle nose pliers for the nose pieces. There is no way in hell I am going to pay them $300-$600 more just for them to bend it plus you can always bring your self bought glasses to an optician to have them bend them for you.

Its simply the distance of the center of your pupil to pupil. Most dispensing opticians won't give you that bit information because they will know you will order online and loose your business. By law they have to give you your prescription, but they can withhold your PD so you buy from them. You can check from older prescriptions to see if they have written down your PD as PD does not change after you reached age 18 or you can use a metric ruler and have someone measure it for you or you can measure it yourself using a mirror. PD is normally between 54mm-65mm for humans ! ...LoL
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:23 pm
Actually the brick and mortar stores will try to sell you whatever frames they have in stock to get rid of their inventory. Did you know that every frame style should come in three sizes mainly; small, medium and large ? Since these stores don't what that much inventory they always stock the larger sizes and then they need to bend the crap out of it to fit your face.
But that's with every store, even online stores. Stores will try to sell whatever they have more inventory of, either by 'sales' or by 'suggesting' it to you. In an actual store I have the liberty of trying on the frames (no matter what size they are) until they fit me. The point I'm making has nothing to do with the size of my face, I'm talking about my ears being uneven.

I have ordered online before and have measured my PD per the instructions on Clearly's website. Like I said, one time it worked fine and another time i was dizzy from the second I put the frames on. I'm not disputing that online is cheaper - of course it is, you are taking out the middleman in the transaction - I'm simply saying from experience I've had a more satisfying experience with someone assisting me. Like I said, it's great for people when everything is fine with your face to go with the online option.
Oct 3, 2018
121 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone in GTA Ontario wants to make the drive to Guelph ... Or if you live in Southern Ontario

Check out Edge Opticians:

http://edgeopticians.com/

- good selection and prices!
- sticker prices on frames INCLUDE the lenses
- current selection 30 - 50% off ... look for green, yellow and red ($89) dots

- most importantly, amazing service!!

I haven't even picked up the glasses ordered for a family member ... just met Elena and am blown away with her knowledge, expertise and customer service.

If you need glasses, I highly recommend you drop in and see Elena ... her store is downtown Guelph, Quebec Street Mall.

It's worth the drive to Guelph :)

Ps in the end, am glad I didn't order online via clearly.ca. However, I have learned lots about pupillary distance. lol