Home & Garden

Best place to buy granite for countertop and floors?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2008 6:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes

Best place to buy granite for countertop and floors?

Do you guys know any decent cheap places for granite? Like discounters, wholesalers and the like? I want to get granite countertops for my new house, and I'm thinking about granite flooring as well. I've seen those little signs in the new area advertising black galaxy granite for 39/sq ft, and I've heard about granite discounters but didn't seem to find any discussion about them here. Preferably somewhere within easy driving range of the GTA.
12 replies
Dec 19, 2006
138 posts
3 upvotes
try square one granite in mississauga 905-270-1770.

Friendly, good work and pricing
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Thanks, will do. Visited a small granite place on Van Kirk drive in Brampton today. The guy working there was... interesting. Polish guy who didn't speak that much English told me about 2500 for a counter that would be about 30-40 square feet. How is that?
Apr 21, 2004
816 posts
43 upvotes
Pickering
We had our counters done by this company upon personal referral of a friend.

Redstone Marble & Granite Ltd.
100 Fernstaff Court Unit #2
Vaughan, Ontario L4K 3L9
Tel: (905) 660-8811

I had also gone to home show and solicited different granite companies. It was difficult to distinguish one from the other. In the end, they were pretty close in price, but I went with the one with a personal reference.

Some grades of granite cost more than others, so you should try to narrow a colour down.

http://stone-network.com/granite.html

$2500 for 40 sq ft doesn't sound too far off though. That works out to be about $62.50/sq ft and I believe that some of the nicer patterns get into that ball park. You can get more basic patterns in the $50-60/sq. ft. range with standard edges. Some companies also charge extra for the sink cutout so make sure you are getting a quote with a complete layout.
Sep 19, 2006
224 posts
1 upvote
Also the thickness of the granite will impact the price. 3/4" should be 10% to 15% cheaper vs 1 1/4". For a kitchen i think the 1 1/4" looks nicer. Also there are many different group levels.

Usually the darker the granite the harder it is and more resilient it is.

here are a few places, you will have to google the address

in Vaughn there is MC Stones
in Stoney Creek there is Custom Granite & Marble

good luck
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
I'm pretty set on black galaxy. So, $2500 isn't that bad? Those $39/sq ft. signs in new areas are probably misleading I'm guessing, not including finishing or cutouts etc.
Regin8r wrote:
Jul 30th, 2008 8:29 am
We had our counters done by this company upon personal referral of a friend.

Redstone Marble & Granite Ltd.
100 Fernstaff Court Unit #2
Vaughan, Ontario L4K 3L9
Tel: (905) 660-8811

I had also gone to home show and solicited different granite companies. It was difficult to distinguish one from the other. In the end, they were pretty close in price, but I went with the one with a personal reference.

Some grades of granite cost more than others, so you should try to narrow a colour down.

http://stone-network.com/granite.html

$2500 for 40 sq ft doesn't sound too far off though. That works out to be about $62.50/sq ft and I believe that some of the nicer patterns get into that ball park. You can get more basic patterns in the $50-60/sq. ft. range with standard edges. Some companies also charge extra for the sink cutout so make sure you are getting a quote with a complete layout.
Apr 21, 2004
816 posts
43 upvotes
Pickering
Black Galaxy is one of the most popular common colours and should be at the lower price scale of the granites.

You can pretty much get a quote from any place as we did if you have a layout and measurements. I had a few quotes from different places and in the end, went with a referral from personal friend instead of some random shop.

The process was pretty painless. The referral I got, I went to the warehouse to choose the colour and they have all the large saws and cutting equipment in the same warehouse. You make an appointment and he comes to make a cardboard template of your counter. This allows for any variations to your cabinet measurements on site. Takes it back to the shop to cut up the slab you choose. About a week later, they came to install it and it takes about a day.

One thing that I've been warned from other people is that some granite companies will charge lower costs if you use the standard pre-cut cabinet depth pieces because they are cheaper. Ultimately though, those will have more "seams". Less cutting for them. Our granite guy also gave me a few extra cut 12 inch by 40 inch scraps that I made into really heavy shelves.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Regin8r wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 8:36 am
Black Galaxy is one of the most popular common colours and should be at the lower price scale of the granites.

You can pretty much get a quote from any place as we did if you have a layout and measurements. I had a few quotes from different places and in the end, went with a referral from personal friend instead of some random shop.

The process was pretty painless. The referral I got, I went to the warehouse to choose the colour and they have all the large saws and cutting equipment in the same warehouse. You make an appointment and he comes to make a cardboard template of your counter. This allows for any variations to your cabinet measurements on site. Takes it back to the shop to cut up the slab you choose. About a week later, they came to install it and it takes about a day.

One thing that I've been warned from other people is that some granite companies will charge lower costs if you use the standard pre-cut cabinet depth pieces because they are cheaper. Ultimately though, those will have more "seams". Less cutting for them. Our granite guy also gave me a few extra cut 12 inch by 40 inch scraps that I made into really heavy shelves.
Good info here.
Please post pics of your granite shelves if you can. Sounds interesting.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Jul 31, 2005
378 posts
47 upvotes
We ended up getting black galaxy and are sorta regretting it, the reason being that it makes your kitchen very dark, It looks really great in bright, bright conditions however unless you have your halogens on all the time it may darken and make your room seem smaller.

If you have white cabinets it looks alright, however if any tan / darkbrown it completely changes the feel of your kitchen.

We had our granite countertop installed by a Chinese installer (located in Scarborough, www.granitecountertop.ca, call them for prices), they are really cheap compared to the other quotes that were given to us.

We got full black galaxy countertop/backsplash for $2300 tax in. & installed, granite was 3/4 and backsplash was 1/4, looks really good when all our lights (xenon, undercabinet lights), and halogen spot lights are on. However It takes about 550 watts of power to do this.
Jul 18, 2005
728 posts
100 upvotes
I am nearly the identical dilemma, have oak cupboards in a large kitchen. Was thinking of going with black galaxy. I heard that with halogen recessed lights (which is what I have) at night, the reflection that the counter gives is incredible....

Do you have any pics of your install?
Also how many sq-ft was your price for?

Thanks for the feedback!
sketchED wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 1:40 pm
We ended up getting black galaxy and are sorta regretting it, the reason being that it makes your kitchen very dark, It looks really great in bright, bright conditions however unless you have your halogens on all the time it may darken and make your room seem smaller.

If you have white cabinets it looks alright, however if any tan / darkbrown it completely changes the feel of your kitchen.

We had our granite countertop installed by a Chinese installer (located in Scarborough, www.granitecountertop.ca, call them for prices), they are really cheap compared to the other quotes that were given to us.

We got full black galaxy countertop/backsplash for $2300 tax in. & installed, granite was 3/4 and backsplash was 1/4, looks really good when all our lights (xenon, undercabinet lights), and halogen spot lights are on. However It takes about 550 watts of power to do this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Sorry for the late reply. Been caught up in the closing and all. I love black stuff, I think that with enough light, it looks cozy and not dark, but that's my personal point of view on this. Since this house is something of a stepping-stone for me, I'm thinking of maybe not going with what I like, and going instead with what most people would like. So now I'm thinking to do the kitchen in a lighter granite for the countertops, with the floor and backsplash in the taupey-brown tumbled stone that everyone seems to love so much. Found an ad on craigslist that claims to charge 39/ft including cutting etc. Will check it out and post back.
× < >