• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2008 4:28 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes

Best place to buy Laminate flooring

I am thinking of installing click laminate flooring in my living and family room. I don't want to spend too much money as I won't be living in the house for too long, maybe 2yrs more. Looking for something decent quality under $3 per sqf. Please recommend a place in GTA. thanks
19 replies
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
dolemite wrote: I've bought 8mm Shaw laminate bought from http://www.hardwoodflooringstore.com/special.htm in Markham about 3 years ago for under $2/sq foot. That seems within your price range, and these days you'll be able to get 10-12 mm for the $3 in your budget.

http://www.bramptonhardwood.com/ seems to be in your budget for laminate as well.
thanks, going to check it out tom.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2806 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
shampoo wrote: I am thinking of installing click laminate flooring in my living and family room. I don't want to spend too much money as I won't be living in the house for too long, maybe 2yrs more. Looking for something decent quality under $3 per sqf. Please recommend a place in GTA. thanks
Rona was selling some 12mm laminate at $2.28 sq ft, with a bevelled edge that looks like 5" strip hardwood when laid down. I have tried this and a couple of others, and this 12 mm was the nicest and easiest to install.

edit: corrected price
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
We bought our floor from some HW liquidation place called Celebrity Flooring on 156 Evans (Islington & QEW). They had the best prices we could find on flooring.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
I checked out the bramptop flooring shop today. They have good variety and good prices. They had some 12mm and 15mm laminate going for $2/sqf which i liked. The only thing is the stuff is made in china, and they said basically all the lamination which you find at homedepot and rona is also made in china. I don't know much about lamination but the stuff looks decent.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
jandumm wrote: We bought our floor from some HW liquidation place called Celebrity Flooring on 156 Evans (Islington & QEW). They had the best prices we could find on flooring.
jandumm, what did you buy and how much was it? how is the quality?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
shampoo wrote: I checked out the bramptop flooring shop today. They have good variety and good prices. They had some 12mm and 15mm laminate going for $2/sqf which i liked. The only thing is the stuff is made in china, and they said basically all the lamination which you find at homedepot and rona is also made in china. I don't know much about lamination but the stuff looks decent.
Chinese 12/15mm is not any better than 7/8mm from leading manufacturers. $2/ft. is a good price but I would still recommend Torlys, but they are slightly more expensive...

Every dealer has a different discount from the manufacturer, so they may sell for different price...shop around :!:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
shampoo wrote: jandumm, what did you buy and how much was it? how is the quality?
We purchased about 800 sq ft of 3 1/4" wide planks, 3/4" thick espresso coloured canadian maple hardwood - for $3.40 per square foot. Other places were no cheaper than $4.50-$5 /sq ft. Brampton Hardwood was a bit too pricy for me.

My parents purchased about 700 sq ft of toffee coloured maple hardwood for about the same price.

I do have to point out that it the floor we purchased was one level below select grade - and there were some questionable pieces that we had to quality control out. But we were aware of this when we purchased it and purchased an extra box.

They also had laminate, engineereed and i think linoleum. As they are hardwood floor liquidators, their prices should be competitive on laminate also - which was your original question. :)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
jandumm wrote: As they are hardwood floor liquidators,
Were they located in the Kipling/Evans area :?:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
patrob wrote: Were they located in the Kipling/Evans area :?:
Yep, see post #6. :)
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
jandumm wrote: We purchased about 800 sq ft of 3 1/4" wide planks, 3/4" thick espresso coloured canadian maple hardwood - for $3.40 per square foot. Other places were no cheaper than $4.50-$5 /sq ft. Brampton Hardwood was a bit too pricy for me.

My parents purchased about 700 sq ft of toffee coloured maple hardwood for about the same price.

I do have to point out that it the floor we purchased was one level below select grade - and there were some questionable pieces that we had to quality control out. But we were aware of this when we purchased it and purchased an extra box.

They also had laminate, engineereed and i think linoleum. As they are hardwood floor liquidators, their prices should be competitive on laminate also - which was your original question. :)
thanks, I'll checkout that place soon.

Another question for anyone, is it better to put foam or cork for the main floor. I know cork is suppose to be better but is it an overkill?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
4462 posts
4127 upvotes
shampoo wrote: The only thing is the stuff is made in china, and they said basically all the lamination which you find at homedepot and rona is also made in china.
I'm not sure about that, I have bought some 8mm Laminate at Rona last year for .79/sq ft when they had it on sale, and the label on the box said Made in Germany.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
shampoo wrote: Another question for anyone, is it better to put foam or cork for the main floor. I know cork is suppose to be better but is it an overkill?
Since you have no basement under the main floor (I assume), you have no reason to put cork...unless you want to spend the extra money. You can use a 4in1 underlay (moisture, sound deafening, heat reflection & cushion) & is easy to install.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
patrob wrote: Since you have no basement under the main floor (I assume), you have no reason to put cork...unless you want to spend the extra money. You can use a 4in1 underlay (moisture, sound deafening, heat reflection & cushion) & is easy to install.
actually I do have a basement, so i guess either that 4in1 foam or cork would be better. I think the 4in1 stuff was $0.60/sqf at brampton flooring.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
gooch1000 wrote: Everything you wanted to know about Laminate flooring.

www.torlys.com

and

www.quick-step.com

G.
thanks for the links

any other good places in gta to buy laminate flooring? I heard bluestar living in markham was pretty good and cheap but they no longer sell laminate.
May 5, 2007
169 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
shampoo wrote: thanks for the links

any other good places in gta to buy laminate flooring? I heard bluestar living in markham was pretty good and cheap but they no longer sell laminate.
I'm in the market for Laminate. I found some Chinese brand 12mm for $1.50sq ft but any other recommended places around Mississauga?

For a basement what's a good size laminate 8, 10 , or 12mm? I don't want the spongy feel.