Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 5, 2007
39 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton

Best place to buy a leather sofa

Looking to purchase a good leather sofa and loveseat.

Possibly one that reclines.

Anyone know a good place.....

Been to Brick/Leons.....nothing too spectacular..

heading off to Mobillia this weekend.

any other place I should check??

Jay :D
16 replies
Dec 10, 2004
868 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends on your definition of "good".

La-Z-Boy has some decent quality leather sofas that recline. Their designs are fairly conservative.

I like the Italian made Natuzzis that you can purchase from the higher end furniture stores (not the ones sold at Sears) - you have the option of higher grade leathers and customization on those.
In general, avoid any of the bonded leathers, and watch for nice finishing, smoothness and evenness of the skins, removable back cushions, etc.. if you're looking for good quality.

If you like contemporary design, stores that that have high end European brands are good places to go.
Sep 30, 2004
514 posts
13 upvotes
Markham
you can go to:

Chesterfield - http://www.thechesterfieldshop.com/default.htm
- all made in North America

Rawhide International - http://www.rawhideinternational.com/
- all made in Canada at their Ontario factory.

If you're not that picky.

EQ3 has their sofas made in Winnipeg.

All sofa furniture from Leons are from China.

I think someone told me that the Italian name of: Natuzzis was made in Italy before, now its outsource to China.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
jaym wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 9:31 pm

What's your budget?
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
25 upvotes
I find this LazBoy recliners particularly the ones at LazyBoy galleries completely overpriced.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
punisher101 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2009 8:35 pm
I find this LazBoy recliners particularly the ones at LazyBoy galleries completely overpriced.
The recliner mechanism on a lazyboy is quite nice in comparison to cheaper/clone units.

However, LazyBoy really need to update their designs. It would be amazing if Natuzzi (or another Italian Sofa Manufacturer) + Lazyboys merged together :D
Jan 5, 2009
59 posts
4 upvotes
Check out businesses & manufacturers with the Better Business Bureau. If either has complaints, meaning that they are unable to resolve customer issues, do not consider either. Do not consider Leather Craft Canada products. There are complaints filed with the BBB regarding "product issues", the product does not meet the expectations of the complainants, including defective merchandise. Avoid "Going out of Business", "Retirement", & "Relocating" sales. Some of these marketing campaigns use the aid of marketing consultants, aka "liquidators". These "liquidators" may obtain defective / used / returned furniture & re-sell through the above highly advertised schemes. Beware of the deceptive manufacturers & furniture store owners who may misrepresent products. check out http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-r ... on-1083552
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to plug Sears again. September should be a good time i hear.
Apr 24, 2009
187 posts
London
Well if you live in Canada, you can go to Leather by Man, Leon's has great furniture too, but they usually give you the ones that they mess up on purpose in the back when they sell you it. And you will never be able to return it. So I'd stay away from leon's. That is the worst store in all of Canada. Scamming people since 1909 ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2584 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Got ours at Choice leather, they can custom anything, all made in ontario. Look them up, prices are negotiable and we are very happy with our purchase. They are similar to rawhide international.

http://www.choiceleather.com/home/index.php
Oct 4, 2007
522 posts
50 upvotes
Seems like most of the stores you guys mentioned are mainly located in Ontario, is there any good retailers in the greater Vancouver area?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6910 posts
684 upvotes
Ontario
jaym wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 9:31 pm

Anyone know a good place.....

Been to Brick/Leons.....nothing too spectacular..

heading off to Mobillia this weekend.

any other place I should check??

Jay :D
I was happy with our purchase from The Chesterfield Shop. Was able to customize even the level of 'firmness' or 'softness' of the interior materials.

Make sure you pick a type of leather that is not easily scratched. If you've ever been to Sherway Mall, you'll see how ugly they become in a hurry. You can test the sample pieces yourself by scratching it (although the rep will know what you're talking about).

Also, if you go to Chesterfield Shop, make sure you do not pay TAX. I thought I bought at the right time a year ago since they had that promotion, but I have since seen they basically nearly ALWAYS have that promotion. :)

*EDIT ADD: I just checked their flyer and yes, they have the no GST or PST deal still!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
160 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Aug 6th, 2009 11:28 am
What's your budget?
Budget, such an important piece of information left out by OP. But if the sky is the limit then I would recommend Stressless if you want a leather chair or sofa that reclines.

× < >