• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2010 10:29 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 29, 2007
357 posts
39 upvotes

Best place to buy perfume

I'm looking to buy some perfume for xmas presents this year for gf and mom. Usually I go to the Bay but am wondering if any of you know better places to get this stuff from? Every mall has one of those perfume shops but I've never been in one. Are they generally cheaper than the dep't stores. I wish Costco sold this stuff...lol
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
I've had good success with an online store called FragranceX.com

Fast & free shipping, always cheaper than the Bay or SDM from my experience..
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
[OP]
Sep 29, 2007
357 posts
39 upvotes
So I happened to find a perfume on kijiji that my gf wants. It is about 45% off the retail price. I notice that the seller has about 7 or 8 other perfumes online for sale when I look at his other ads. I call him and flat out ask him if they are real. He said yes as he used to be a distributor in the city (or still is - didn't want to press him on it) and now has some remaining stock he is selling - he has about 5 of the one particular fragrance I'm interested in.

Thoughts? They could of course be stolen, but to be honest I'm mainly worried about whether it is real or not. Would stores not buy from large distributors?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5745 posts
539 upvotes
Distribution of the better quality fragrances is fairly tightly controlled by the manufacturers. They don't want their stuff being sold at a discount which cheapens the image. That being said there is still some leakage - eg sample bottles do get stolen by employees and re-sold. And some of the big chains do put perfume on sale from time to time. Costco had some good prices on fragrances a month ago but stock seems to be gone now. Superstore has had sales on their stock items from time to time. etc. Frankly though, just before Christmas is the worst time to be looking for a bargain - everyone knows last minute shoppers are desperate and they price accordingly. You should be shopping in the Fall if you want a deal, not in the dying days before Christmas.

As far as Kijiji goes, who knows? A seller saying that his stuff is genuine is meaningless because everyone lies. LOL, eBay is full of "genuine" fake stuff.
Feb 14, 2009
82 posts
1 upvote
Costco (or at least the ones I go to) still have a stash of mens and womens perfumes at around $50 for the larger bottles, so it's a pretty good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1578 posts
131 upvotes
Hampton
SDM - choose one of the larger stores for the biggest selection - and you get points - probably the best offer you will get at this late stage. Sears had 10 off 75-100 and 20 off 100+ on Monday for fragrances - not sure if that is still on
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
retireat50 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:16 am
I'm looking to buy some perfume for xmas presents this year for gf and mom. Usually I go to the Bay but am wondering if any of you know better places to get this stuff from? Every mall has one of those perfume shops but I've never been in one. Are they generally cheaper than the dep't stores. I wish Costco sold this stuff...lol

Ah...if you're going to go perfume, go to the Dollar Store. May as well for the amount of time they're going to wear it.

In other words, don't get perfume. It's dependent on far more than how it smells in the bottle, so it's definitely something they should get themselves...unless you already know which perfume they use already.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:54 am
I've had good success with an online store called FragranceX.com

Fast & free shipping, always cheaper than the Bay or SDM from my experience..

Shipping for me took like 1 month.
prices were ok there, not great..but i was buying Bvlgari.

Shoppers always has a perfume shelf with bottles and nice sets for $20.
I thoughtCostco did sell perfumes? but they were repackaged in these plastic containers like a clamshell?
× < >