Shopping Discussion

Best place to buy Ring home security kits?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 12:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2011
607 posts
68 upvotes
Batcave

Best place to buy Ring home security kits?

I am interested in buying one of the kits that includes several contact sensors and motion sensors. Like this 10-piece kit: https://shop.ring.com/collections/offer ... t-10-piece

Where would you recommend I shop for this? Amazon.ca doesn't seem to have any. BestBuy has a similar kit but theirs only has 3 contact sensors. They also include two keypads (I only want one).

Also do you guys know if you can use third party cameras with the Ring? I just want to use a cheap Chinese camera with the system for now. Probably not possible and I guess I'll just use a camera separately in the meantime.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
6 replies
[OP]
Nov 22, 2011
607 posts
68 upvotes
Batcave
Should I just order the 10-piece from Ring.com?

Or buy local at BestBuy and get their 9-piece kit?

Price is fairly similar but might have to pay duties with Ring.com
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3864 posts
628 upvotes
Wat
I'd just get it from Best Buy. Strange how Amazon.ca doesn't carry it since they're integrating Alexa into the security system.

I've had it installed for just over 2 weeks now and am happy with it.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2011
607 posts
68 upvotes
Batcave
Wiseman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:57 am
I'd just get it from Best Buy. Strange how Amazon.ca doesn't carry it since they're integrating Alexa into the security system.

I've had it installed for just over 2 weeks now and am happy with it.
Indeed, I thought Amazon.ca for sure would have all the Ring products. Glad to hear the system is working for you so far.
Cann999 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:57 pm
Hi before you decide to go with Ring seems they’ve been in the news for the wrong reasons... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... laims.html
Thanks for sharing that. I actually read about this a few days on the intercept website and it really is troubling to hear. However there are privacy concerns with any security systems or devices connected to the internet.
Nov 25, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don’t post here often, but thought I’d offer my experience. I ordered the 10 piece kit and the First Alert smoke/CO Combo last Thursday morning through Ring. It arrived Monday morning at my door. No other charges or fees.

I also signed up for the protect plus plan which gets you the monitoring and a 10% discount on orders through Ring.com. I did this before ordering the kit. Called up billing, and placed the order while on the phone with them. They confirmed my order number and refunded the difference right there. Kit went from $259 to $233.10 US.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3864 posts
628 upvotes
Wat
Cann999 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:57 pm
Hi before you decide to go with Ring seems they’ve been in the news for the wrong reasons... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... laims.html
Interesting, although I'm not using any ring cams yet. I'm currently using a bunch of wyze cams to record home exterior and don't really care if someone watches those feeds.

As just like a traditional alarm system with door/window and motion sensors, this is a good package.