Off Topic Archive

Locked: Best place to convert VHS to DVD or a CD

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2004 3:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2003
684 posts
Toronto

Best place to convert VHS to DVD or a CD

I want to convert a vhs tape to dvd or cd anyone knows of a cheap place.
I need it asap
Share:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1809 posts
163 upvotes
I know shoppers drug marts do this now but I dont know how much
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8633 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
Find a buddy with a DVD recorder and you are set! Where abouts are you located? I find that the big players charge way too much for that service (i.e. over $30 a tape!)
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2003
684 posts
Toronto
I am in east toronto. 30 bux is way way overpriced.
Member
User avatar
Jun 19, 2004
417 posts
Toronto
motorcycleguy wrote:I want to convert a vhs tape to dvd or cd anyone knows of a cheap place.
I need it asap
Yaa, I want to know about this also. What's a good price to convert VHS to DVD?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
11917 posts
218 upvotes
ASAP = more than 1 month? :)

I PMed you about doing it a long time ago...the offer still stands.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21424 posts
1502 upvotes
Aurora
I don't think $30 is unreasonable. This is a time consuming feat. You have to do everything in real time. If your VHS tape is 2 hours, it takes two hours to transfer to the hard drive. Then you have to edit and possibly encode. This could take another 2 hours.

So, how much is 4 hours of your time worth? At $30 per tape, that is $7.50, hmm, seems like minimum wage. Ooops. Hang on, forgot about the cost of the media. Less than $7.50 per hour.

No, I don't do this. I have the equipment and have done it for myself and know how long it takes. If you really want to save money, get your own equipment.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
11917 posts
218 upvotes
I agree with Gee. You can decide that converting your tape is not worth $30 to you, but to decide that several hours of someone's time isn't worth that is just silly. Forget about the cost of the equipment required to do the job properly, forget about the cost of materials, forget about the time required to organize the exchange of raw/finished materials, JUST the time required to actually do the work is worth that. To actually make a BUSINESS out of this would require you to charge double that....and unsurprisingly, people do!
Newbie
Mar 10, 2003
63 posts
Is it possible to input the jacks from VHS or camcorder to the back of the dvd recorder on computer and record ..

I have lots of tapes that I'd like to burn ... but I don't have a dvd recorder

copying stuff to dvd from different devices should be easier .. maybe much easier for those using Mac computers.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
Gee wrote:I don't think $30 is unreasonable. This is a time consuming feat. You have to do everything in real time. If your VHS tape is 2 hours, it takes two hours to transfer to the hard drive. Then you have to edit and possibly encode. This could take another 2 hours.

So, how much is 4 hours of your time worth? At $30 per tape, that is $7.50, hmm, seems like minimum wage. Ooops. Hang on, forgot about the cost of the media. Less than $7.50 per hour.

No, I don't do this. I have the equipment and have done it for myself and know how long it takes. If you really want to save money, get your own equipment.
This is the epic version, though. If someone had a DVD recorder, wouldn't it be a lot simpler?

Also, 4 hours of your time... but it's really about 15 minutes of your time and 3.25 hours of the computer's time. And opportunity cost...
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2003
684 posts
Toronto
deep wrote:ASAP = more than 1 month? :)

I PMed you about doing it a long time ago...the offer still stands.
I think it was deleted. send it again. I forgot what was it :)

It's 1 hour video.
I need it to be copied to a DVD or a CD as VCD.

Is there a place that can do it for 20 bux?
Newbie
Apr 7, 2004
34 posts
Our company does it. However, 20 bucks is a little too low for the equipment we use.
Overseas Video Lab
www.overseasvideolab.com
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21424 posts
1502 upvotes
Aurora
sanj wrote:Is it possible to input the jacks from VHS or camcorder to the back of the dvd recorder on computer and record ..

I have lots of tapes that I'd like to burn ... but I don't have a dvd recorder

copying stuff to dvd from different devices should be easier .. maybe much easier for those using Mac computers.
There are no jacks on the back of the DVD recorder, it is inside your computer. You will need a video capture card to plug it into. Even then, it will still only copy to the hard drive.
mbg wrote:This is the epic version, though. If someone had a DVD recorder, wouldn't it be a lot simpler?

Also, 4 hours of your time... but it's really about 15 minutes of your time and 3.25 hours of the computer's time. And opportunity cost...
15 minutes eh? So what happends to the other hour 45 minutes that I am there waiting? Can I reclaim that time? Time passes, you cannot get it back. Even if you are doing nothing in that time. With that logic, employees should not be paid to stand around. You work at McDonalds, you should only get paid when you are serving customers and nothing when you are just standing there waiting for a customer?

If you are going to do something, do it right. Time is required to clean up the video, sync the audio and press it on DVD.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
Gee wrote:15 minutes eh? So what happends to the other hour 45 minutes that I am there waiting? Can I reclaim that time? Time passes, you cannot get it back. Even if you are doing nothing in that time. With that logic, employees should not be paid to stand around. You work at McDonalds, you should only get paid when you are serving customers and nothing when you are just standing there waiting for a customer?
That's the opportunity cost :)

You can do other things while the computer is busy, unless you're a union member. If you're a union member, you very well sit there for 3 hours and 45 minutes (you originally said 4 hours) while the computer does its work, and pat yourself on the back for the great work you're doing.

Anyway, if you are going to try and run a business based on a service like that and charge much more than minimum wage (which means you don't even get to pay for your electricity, equipment, and above-minimum-wage knowledge), you won't get many customers.
If you are going to do something, do it right. Time is required to clean up the video, sync the audio and press it on DVD.
If you're going to do it right, you'd get the proper equipment so that you don't need to do all of those other things manually. And, proper equipment is not expensive, but it's also not an All-in-Wonder :)

However, if you truly are going to PRESS, rather than record, a DVD, I find it hard to believe that you will do it for $30.
Newbie
Mar 10, 2003
63 posts
futureshop and others have lots of floor models ..they can use those dvd recorders ... charge 9.95 and still make money.
× < >

Top