Careers

Best place to do a Business Analyst course in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2015 8:10 am
Tags:
None
May 16, 2008
6 posts
1 upvote

Best place to do a Business Analyst course in GTA?

I am looking at switching careers and moving into IT from HR. I am interested in becoming a Business Analyst and was wondering if anyone has any information on which is the best institute to do a course in Business Analysis. The idea is to get a job after that and the institute should be able to help with that.
27 replies
Jan 7, 2010
375 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
hey Chicken little, that program looks very interesting. I checked out the site, but I couldn't seem to find anywhere that listed the pre req for this cert. Do you have to be a post grad from uni or college or any post grad per sa.

Or can joe blow with job knowledge but no dip or deg sign up for this program?
Jan 1, 2011
1 posts
1 upvote
toronto
I've been in the business for 20 years and it's become obvious as of late that some BA's are not getting paid the rates they deserve simply because they are not asking. If you are a contract BA with 5 years experience and getting anything less than 90/hour at the bank in the GTA (Toronto) you're a sucker. If you get less than 100/hr at the provincial government for BA role level 3 you're also a sucker. 90/hr is dirt cheap by bank standards because they don't have to pay for benefits/pension/comp/severance on top of salary, and they can't be sued even if the abused the hell out of you. Salaries for 5 years experience BA are in 95K-105K range plus bonus which can add up to over 120K. Banks have a knack for the finding suckers though.
Contractors don't have pensions/benefits and such so they have to make up for it with the seemingly high rates, but also take into consideration that as a contractor you can sit out months before you find the right opportunity, and that has to be factored into the rates. Needless to say that contractors are the ultimate scapegoat a manager can find to blame when things go wrong. So that's an added bonus(!).
It's comical sometimes that some BA's are asking for 40-50/hr. These are the rates of the early 1990's when I started out. During the dotcom bubble rates went up but they were artificially brought down after the bubble burst by the banks in search of laid off contractors willing to take any jobs, so they were paying 60/hr, and that was 11 years ago. Yes we're in 2011 already.
In conclusion folks it's time for rates to start going higher already. Since 2000, gas prices went up 60%, milk 50%, heating oil 50%. House prices 100%. Bank profits skyrocketed but contractors are still getting less. If you don't ask for higher rates you're only have yourself to blame when you're 60 and cant retire because you have no pension and no decent cash to live on. Ta-ta!!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1529 posts
134 upvotes
i heard my friend just finished a BA course online from waterloo this past christmas, maybe you can check, i heard that the price is good
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3152 posts
42 upvotes
okano wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2011 2:52 pm
i heard my friend just finished a BA course online from waterloo this past christmas, maybe you can check, i heard that the price is good

do you have a link to the program?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1529 posts
134 upvotes
chicken_little wrote:
Jan 4th, 2011 6:33 pm
I just read the course content. If you're looking to become an IT Business Analyst, I would pass on this course. A lot of the course content doesn't seem relevant imo.

the one you post is $9450 + HST for 18 days
the one i post is $190 + HST for 2 months
to me, i think money is more "relevant" imo

i don't know why, but since i did GMAT and PMP, york sent me those brochure every other week, and i hate it
anyone know how to stop them from coming? it is a waste of paper
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6104 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
okano wrote:
Jan 5th, 2011 10:29 am
the one you post is $9450 + HST for 18 days
the one i post is $190 + HST for 2 months
to me, i think money is more "relevant" imo

i don't know why, but since i did GMAT and PMP, york sent me those brochure every other week, and i hate it
anyone know how to stop them from coming? it is a waste of paper

Your so right Okano, 2 months is > 18 days, and $9450 is ALSO > than $190.
So I'd go with the $190 2 month option. Just have to compare the content of both programs.

Would be nice to hear form anyone who graduated in either program and why the huge discrepancy in price?
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1529 posts
134 upvotes
Neovingian wrote:
Jan 5th, 2011 11:23 am
Your so right Okano, 2 months is > 18 days, and $9450 is ALSO > than $190.
So I'd go with the $190 2 month option. Just have to compare the content of both programs.

Would be nice to hear form anyone who graduated in either program and why the huge discrepancy in price?

although i am not sure what a "master certificate"(<== this name is seriously very :facepalm: , almost at the same level as financial engineering) from york is, but it sound better so maybe that's the reason?
to me, both are just a worthless sheet of paper, if aren't for flashing the paper in the interview, one might find it better just to self-learn on these topic ....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2468 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
With this economy, how useful would it be getting this cert (let alone any cert) without work experience?
× < >