• Jul 19th, 2008 7:47 am
Tags:
None
Mar 20, 2006
187 posts
4 upvotes

Best Place to Get Good Paint at Best Price

Hi,

Just looking for the best 'deal' (mid range quality paint at best price) on paint (for interior of home). I will need to buy about 10 gallons (not all the same colour) so thought i'd check out the prices.

Thanks!
20 replies
Aug 8, 2003
761 posts
39 upvotes
Barrie
I saw paint on sale at Cantire for around $22.00/gln, check their flyer
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
2990 posts
404 upvotes
Vancouver
if you know somebody that is a painting contractor; they can get you their price. I can get a gallon for a about 15-19 bucks from my connection because they buy so much
Jul 28, 2007
71 posts
boomerang paint, its recycled, low VOC paint and i think around $15 gallon. Color selection is limited and not available everywhere.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
Forget the other suggestions, go to a Benjamin Moore dealer and tell them you will be buying 10 gallons. They'll give you 20% off all paint purchases. That's what I did, and I still get the same discount 8 years later.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6398 posts
561 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Best price for decent paint is about $20-22 per gallon and you usually need to wait for a sale. Home Depot, Colour Your World, Rona store brand are decnt paint places to find sales or reasonable regular prices. Unlike the previous post, I wouldn't recommend Benjamin Moore but I know that is just me. I find Benjamin Moore interior paint to be one of the worst for washing and their exterior paint never lasts more than a couple of years (just my experience though).
Dec 28, 2007
85 posts
7 upvotes
don242 wrote:
May 21st, 2008 8:02 pm
Best price for decent paint is about $20-22 per gallon and you usually need to wait for a sale. Home Depot, Colour Your World, Rona store brand are decnt paint places to find sales or reasonable regular prices. Unlike the previous post, I wouldn't recommend Benjamin Moore but I know that is just me. I find Benjamin Moore interior paint to be one of the worst for washing and their exterior paint never lasts more than a couple of years (just my experience though).
I can pick Benjamin over any big box retail store brand paits. Ask any good painting contractor and they will tell you how good and easy it it to apply Benjamin or Sherwain Williams paits. I Used a lot of Home Depot's Behr and then few gallons of Benjamin. Will not buy any more Behr. Thats just my opinion.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
bangan wrote:
May 21st, 2008 8:33 pm
I can pick Benjamin over any big box retail store brand paits. Ask any good painting contractor and they will tell you how good and easy it it to apply Benjamin or Sherwain Williams paits. I Used a lot of Home Depot's Behr and then few gallons of Benjamin. Will not buy any more Behr. Thats just my opinion.
agreed. I am an avid BM fan, but I thought I'd save some money with Behr..what a mistake. Nothing coats like BM (I don't even need a drop sheet for walls or ceilings). Never again will I stray from BM.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6398 posts
561 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
nalababe wrote:
May 21st, 2008 8:55 pm
agreed. I am an avid BM fan, but I thought I'd save some money with Behr..what a mistake. Nothing coats like BM (I don't even need a drop sheet for walls or ceilings). Never again will I stray from BM.
It has been a long time since I last used benjamin moore paint so I can't talk from recent experience in applying it. I do know that the oil based exterior paint that was used had to be redone every two years. I painted this house every two years for 6 years with benjamin moore paint. On the 4th time the owner decided to use a different brand paint from home hardware (I think) and the paint lasted at least 4 years before he sold the house.

The house we moved into had benjamin moore paint on the interior that was was just done. The paint is hard to wash and marks easily. Not to mention all the cutting in was a different sheen (though this may be due to improper mixing or something). We repainted with Colour Your world brand (used previously with no problems) and some other brand from home depot. Neither required a drop sheet, neither splattered and yes, all took 2 coats. I doubt I would even try to attempt one coat with any brand of paint. Two thin coats are better than one thick coat and 2 coats always covers any imperfections during the application.

But if you all have had good experiences with benjamin moore then that is great. I am not disputing your experience since I know the majority would recommend benjamin moore. I just can't justify spending $15 more for a can of paint that the others can do as well (if not better in my experience).
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1283 posts
60 upvotes
A pro painter recommended General Paint "Breeze" to me. He actually prefers it to Benjamin Moore - better coverage, nicer finish. I've gone through about 10 gallons since and would not use anything else now. Even with dark colours 2 coats will do it - that's really one coat with a second quick touch up.

Retail price is is $45/gallon but if you are nice they'll give you the contractor price of $35. If you know someone who buys there regularly, you can get it at $25.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
nalababe wrote:
May 21st, 2008 7:55 pm
Forget the other suggestions, go to a Benjamin Moore dealer and tell them you will be buying 10 gallons. They'll give you 20% off all paint purchases. That's what I did, and I still get the same discount 8 years later.
I was just about to suggest that. And if you are in Toronto, I would take a drive up to Steeles paint (on Steeles just east of Pine Valley). It's a huge store with tons of selections to choose from and a lot of contractors buy from there.

good luck!!!!

sk
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
187 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for all the info. I saw the sale at CT - its $10 off the galon for Premier paint. Is that a good deal (and good enough paint)? I'm not looking to paint until September but i've been trying to keep my eye out for deals as we'll need to buy at least 10 gallons (painting the whole inside of a house). I figure i can go back and get it coloured in september.

Should i buy now at CT or wait for a better deal (does paint go more on sale in late august?).

Thanks!
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I used Premier paint once and never again. It was a dark midnight blue (almost black) and it was horrible. They couldn't pay me to use their paint after that experience. The paint itself was like jelly and it splattered excessively. COmplaints to both CT and head office were blown off with a possible excuse that the paint was frozen at some point. Neither wanted to do anything about it, not even a discount or gift card. :mad:

If you're looking for sales, Home Depot usually has paint on every long weekend. The last year or so it's been by mail-in rebate. Usually paint store chains have it on sale through the summer as well and long weekends. I know Sherwin Williams just had theirs on this past weekend, 30% off IIRC....
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
187 posts
4 upvotes
anyone else have advice? is this a good price for interior paint ($10 off at CT)?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6398 posts
561 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
bambam2 wrote:
May 22nd, 2008 9:59 am
Thanks for all the info. I saw the sale at CT - its $10 off the galon for Premier paint. Is that a good deal (and good enough paint)? I'm not looking to paint until September but i've been trying to keep my eye out for deals as we'll need to buy at least 10 gallons (painting the whole inside of a house). I figure i can go back and get it coloured in september.

Should i buy now at CT or wait for a better deal (does paint go more on sale in late august?).

Thanks!
I tried some recently, lighter colour though. I had no issues with splattering or coverage during the application. Two coats were used. Not sure at this point how it will hold up to washing as it has only been a month or two.
× < >