• Apr 16th, 2017 1:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 1, 2006
57 posts
2 upvotes

Best place for (men's) haircut in Markham

Well I just came back from SuperCuts with another disaster and Im tired of the inconsistency there. Sometimes it would be ok, even good- other times completely horrible.

Im an asian guy and its so hard to find a place to get a decent cut that is not $20 at the mall (and they do a good job but I cant afford it). I dont want the 'fobby'-cut that some asian places give- and some cant speak english and my cantonese is not great at all. Any recommendations for places that give a good cut that is cheap & around Markham? Thanks.
83 replies
Jul 14, 2004
237 posts
8 upvotes
Sam's Salon in Jubilee Square. Closest inters'n is Leslie and Hwy 7. Same plaza as Wasabi and CTY computers.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
There's a place I go to that's $7, and it's pretty decent. It's on Highway 7 and Valleymede (McDonalds plaza between Leslie and Bayview). It's operated by chinese, but I'm sure they speak english well.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2006
57 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks guys.

How much is Sam's Salon for a cut?

Anyone got any other suggestions- maybe somewhere closer to McCowan? Thx.
Jan 13, 2006
90 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My brother absolutely SWEARS by this place:

La Kong
5 Hillcroft Dr, Markham ON L3S 1R7 (Steeles & McCowan)
Tel: (905) 948-0930
Closed on Thursdays.

He always asks for a hairdresser named Nancy (when you walk in, last chair on your left, all the way in the back) who he claims is always consistent. It costs him $6 for a hair cut only because he buys 4 coupons for $24 at a time. If you want try it out, it's $7 each time. The key is that Nancy is always always consistent and fast.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1386 posts
13 upvotes
if you can't speak cantonese (like me, i don't know how to describe), just buy a book with the latest styles and just point a picture. I get fob cuts so I buy japanese hair style books. They've always helped me :D

Books have fob styles and more conservative styles as well.

I go to the one next to "perfect resturant" in scarborough (around Brimley and Elesmere). I find that they cut better than other places around the area.

Do you tip your barber/hair stylist? I do for $3 :D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
8911 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
nrgiza_bunny wrote:My brother absolutely SWEARS by this place:

La Kong
Closed on Thursdays.

He always asks for a hairdresser named Nancy (when you walk in, last chair on your left, all the way in the back) who he claims is always consistent. It costs him $6 for a hair cut only because he buys 4 coupons for $24 at a time. If you want try it out, it's $7 each time. The key is that Nancy is always always consistent and fast.

Good luck!
does the Nancy understand english tho?...
yuwing8 wrote:if you can't speak cantonese (like me, i don't know how to describe), just buy a book with the latest styles and just point a picture. I get fob cuts so I buy japanese hair style books. They've always helped me :D

Books have fob styles and more conservative styles as well.

I go to the one next to "perfect resturant" in scarborough (around Brimley and Elesmere). I find that they cut better than other places around the area.

Do you tip your barber/hair stylist? I do for $3 :D
where can u get these hair style books?
Mar 6, 2005
557 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Indeed wrote:Sam's Salon in Jubilee Square. Closest inters'n is Leslie and Hwy 7. Same plaza as Wasabi and CTY computers.
I drove by the store yesterday, and according to their sign...

$16 is the regular price for Man .... and $10 for hair cut only.

Not too bad as I used to paid $13 in Scarborough for a hair cut (no wash).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4189 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
why not go to pacific mall...u can model ur hair after those guys that cut it?
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2006
57 posts
2 upvotes
Rocketo wrote:why not go to pacific mall...u can model ur hair after those guys that cut it?
Cause I hear its really expensive there.

As for the picture thing, that doesnt always work. Sometimes you really have to explain to them where to use a razor and where to thin the hair and etc, esp if its a new sylists. Just from experience, usually when I dont they chop my hair off to the point I might as well go bald since they dont know how to accomadate the style to my head shape.

And I never tip my barber/stylist. Maybe if they do a really good job I will... but rarely have they ever given me a cut I loved so much that they deserved one. Plus Im unemployed student so I cant really afford to give a whole lot.

Its almost time to get the dreaded haircut again... thanks for the suggestions and always open to more. :cheesygri
Jun 1, 2009
2 posts
Markham
nrgiza_bunny wrote:
Sep 9th, 2006 9:47 am
My brother absolutely SWEARS by this place:

La Kong
Closed on Thursdays.

Good luck!

- just went here today. Nice, clean place, quick service,
and only $7. Definitely recommended.
Oct 9, 2008
39 posts
Toronto
a few words about La Kong, it seems to be a quite profitable business for the tall slender gentleman who owns the shop but cuts no hair, seeing as how he's gone from a Porsche to a bright red Nissan GT-R in just a few years.

I live about a 5 minute walk from this place and after my last few experiences I will never be going back.

ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I dont know about this fabled Nancy you speak of, but the ladies can't cut hair and on top of that if you ask them to make even the slightest change in the middle of the cut they yell and openly embarrass you in front of everyone in the store when its packed in there. Just today, i asked for a slightly shorter cut and she starts flipping out and then running the machine on my head at the speed of light. Rushing a haircut is the absolute worst thing you can do and they do it EVERYTIME. Trust me I would rather drive 30 minutes to Toronto for my old barber than a 5 minute walk to La Kong. NEVER EVER AGAIN ! :mad:
Feb 13, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Any update on this topic? Live around steeles and kennedy. :)
Oct 4, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
If you're unhappy with your haircut quality it's likely because you are looking for a cheap haircut. I didn't see anyone here recommend a place you would pay more than $30.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

I used to pay $5-$20 for a haircut and was usually unhappy. Now I got to Spellbound at FMP for a $35 haircut and I am always happy (no I'm not Asian, they just do a fantastic job). I'm trying to find a good alternative to Spellbound because they are usually too busy for me to fit into my sporatic schedule. If anyone has a suggestion for somewhere I would pay at least $30 for a haircut, let me know. Thanks.
Nov 20, 2012
908 posts
276 upvotes
Narkham
Cheap haircuts - HK Style at the plaza across from Walmart @ Markville Mall. $8 per cut, $32 coupon pack. Not bad for a fast haircut, especially for those who like to go every 2-3 weeks. Go with Patrick / Jenny, everyone else is mediocre, or in consistent.

Higher end - Stark's on Main St. Unionville. Believe it's $20 for a cut, $30 for cut and massage + shave. And shave with a straight razor too.