• Mar 22nd, 2009 9:47 am
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2007
622 posts
14 upvotes
mtseymourguy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 6:02 am
did my own for around $140 buying struts and shocks from rock auto. spring compressor cost 20 dollars at princess auto or borrow free from cdn tire.

not sure if aligning really is important. i never bothered. its pretty hard to fall out of spec unless you have something damage. new shocks bring you back closer to original spec.
wowo 140 for shocks and sturts.My two shocks are almost 160 together with taxes and there monroe.

One more question. Whats the best shocks to get a really smooth ride.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10975 posts
1338 upvotes
tamil wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 4:30 pm
wowo 140 for shocks and sturts.My two shocks are almost 160 together with taxes and there monroe.One more question. Whats the best shocks to get a really smooth ride.
US parts prices are quite a bit less than Canadian prices. About 40-50% cheaper

Soft ride (on road only) = Monroe Sensatrac:
http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatrac_struts.asp

I personally don't like Monroe because in the old days, the strut seals tended to go, but it's pretty much the defacto product.

If you are doing mixed on/off road, then go with KYB but it's likely to be a stiffer/rougher shock.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10975 posts
1338 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 3:25 pm
blah.....blah....blah....
Did you even read the OP's question? Why didn't you answer it?

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. That's all I see in your replies. You replied in this thread and many others because you saw that you had a chance to spread more FUD.

Did you even check out the US parts prices before making your "cheap and low quality" snide remark? Did you even think to apologize to mtseymourguy after he posted a plausible reason how he managed to get all those parts for $140? Did you even consider he's from BC and doesn't have to deal with the rust and corrosion issues we have in ON?

What struts do you recommend and why? If you thought there was a better parts deal somewhere else, why didn't you post it? How often do you replace a strut mount/bellows and why? How can a strut mount be refurbished? Why did the spring break and how do you prevent this from happening in the future? Is Ottawa such a back water town that you don't have mobile mechanic services?

I think you need to look in the mirror. You'll see a person who could be adding valuable information to this thread instead of FUD
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24873 posts
2458 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2009 1:44 am
Did you even read the OP's question? Why didn't you answer it?
Yes I did, the question was "I got a quote from Active Green and Ross for 1200. Does that price seem to high or is that a deal."
My response was in addition to yours and another poster and, primarily to inform the OP that is was not an easy job, perhaps not a DYI and, the cost is high.
l69norm wrote:
FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. That's all I see in your replies. You replied in this thread and many others because you saw that you had a chance to spread more FUD.
Of course, whenever anyone tries to lay out the complete steps and procedures or tries to provide a complete picture, people like you will claim unfair or more recently FUD.
l69norm wrote:
Did you even check out the US parts prices before making your "cheap and low quality" snide remark? Did you even think to apologize to mtseymourguy after he posted a plausible reason how he managed to get all those parts for $140? Did you even consider he's from BC and doesn't have to deal with the rust and corrosion issues we have in ON?
I did check the price on the site you listed. I questioned the quality and price before he posted that they were Monroe but I still asked whether it was for a Pathfinder and included all the associated hardware, regardless where he lives. No "snide" remarks were made or intended. You seem to be insulted by be questioned, not him.
l69norm wrote:
What struts do you recommend and why? If you thought there was a better parts deal somewhere else, why didn't you post it? How often do you replace a strut mount/bellows and why? How can a strut mount be refurbished? Why did the spring break and how do you prevent this from happening in the future? Is Ottawa such a back water town that you don't have mobile mechanic services?
Ooohh a little P'd are we? Just because I am explaining to the OP what could go wrong or what else may be needed or for giving an entire picture? Are you one of those techs or shops that gives a quote and when the work is done and the price is way higher, you then explain to the customers of all the issues you ran into and extra parts you needed and of course, had to charge them for it? This forum is full of that sort of thing. Is it a problem with explaining the potential pitfalls prior to the work to enlighten or prepare the customer...oh no, that would be FUD in your opinion? You would hate for the customer to know too much.
l69norm wrote:
I think you need to look in the mirror. You'll see a person who could be adding valuable information to this thread instead of FUD
Don't need to, I have been in and around the automotive or mechanical business for many many years and I have always provided a complete picture to whomever I was working for. My customers have never been surprised. I do think that the information I provide gives proper and complete insight, not just a website and a price list. Thank you for the concern and critique though.
I do apologize to the OP for having to read this though. It is not really helping him resolve his problem.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10975 posts
1338 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2009 8:29 am
Yes I did, the question was "I got a quote from Active Green and Ross for 1200. Does that price seem to high or is that a deal."My response was in addition to yours and another poster and, primarily to inform the OP that is was not an easy job, perhaps not a DYI and, the cost is high....
Ok, what price do you think the job should cost then? why? What about recommended shops the OP can use? Cmon Pete, add to the thread.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24873 posts
2458 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2009 9:24 am
Ok, what price do you think the job should cost then? why? What about recommended shops the OP can use? Cmon Pete, add to the thread.
You are right, you are better, I cannot add any more than you already have. I concede. :o
× < >