• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 10:43 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville

Best place(s) to get domain, email and site

What is the best place (s) to buy a domain name and email. Also what is the best website builder?
25 replies
Jan 25, 2015
394 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
namecheap is a good place for non-promotional prices.

There are many registrars that offer $0.50 - $2.00 first year domain name registrations (godaddy, rebel, network solutions) -- key is transferring to namecheap or similar registrars before the renewal date.

Are you looking for .ca, .com or what type of domain?

Web Hosting, Crocweb & BoomHost are 2 Canadian host I've personally used and have nothing but positive reviews about them.
Oct 26, 2015
95 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I absolutely love OVH. It's from Europe so you need to pay them in euros but it's cheap. (Their Canadian offer is not for small business yet) It's 1.99 euros a month + VAT (domain is free) so I don't think you can find cheaper than that. They are the number 1 hosting in Europe. With VAT, you will pay less than 30 euros a year so it's about $45 CAD.

I have been using them since 99 and they are excellent. I would also advise you to use Wordpress for your website (they support and install Wordpress for free, at least create the database and install it on your server. You then need to pick a theme etc.)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
LoonieDeals wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 11:04 am
namecheap is a good place for non-promotional prices.

There are many registrars that offer $0.50 - $2.00 first year domain name registrations (godaddy, rebel, network solutions) -- key is transferring to namecheap or similar registrars before the renewal date.

Are you looking for .ca, .com or what type of domain?

Web Hosting, Crocweb & BoomHost are 2 Canadian host I've personally used and have nothing but positive reviews about them.
Badiha wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 1:47 pm
I absolutely love OVH. It's from Europe so you need to pay them in euros but it's cheap. (Their Canadian offer is not for small business yet) It's 1.99 euros a month + VAT (domain is free) so I don't think you can find cheaper than that. They are the number 1 hosting in Europe. With VAT, you will pay less than 30 euros a year so it's about $45 CAD.

I have been using them since 99 and they are excellent. I would also advise you to use Wordpress for your website (they support and install Wordpress for free, at least create the database and install it on your server. You then need to pick a theme etc.)

thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

It for a cookie business... not sure which one is better .ca or .com ... I would like to eventually to able to do online orders and ship across Canada.
Oct 26, 2015
95 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I would always suggest both to make sure a competitor won’t get your domain name. If they do, it means that you may end up losing a lot of trafic. I would probably also go with .net
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
It so confusing to know which one is the best for domain name, email and website hosting.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11145 posts
2036 upvotes
If you are looking to build a site from ground up, then look at a hosted website builder SAAS instead of finding hosting.

Services like squarespace, wix, etc...

If your business is small, then it doesn't matter if it's .com or .ca. Although .ca will be a little homey if you are running a boutique style store.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
778 upvotes
If you want a company that you can grow with as your business grows, I would recommend this one: https://whc.ca/en

This is the company that I work with and they are very stable. Take a look at their site. There are several options and price packages available to you. I shifted over to this company when the demand on my server increased. I was attempting to create a table in my database with over one million records, and my former provider couldn't handle it. This company seems to offer many different levels of service based on the size of your business.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
sexyj wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:01 am
If you are looking to build a site from ground up, then look at a hosted website builder SAAS instead of finding hosting.

Services like squarespace, wix, etc...

If your business is small, then it doesn't matter if it's .com or .ca. Although .ca will be a little homey if you are running a boutique style store.
I saw some of squarespace based sites ... look innovative or more interesting looking comparing Wordpress

I’m actually leaning toward .ca
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 1:22 pm
If you want a company that you can grow with as your business grows, I would recommend this one: https://whc.ca/en

This is the company that I work with and they are very stable. Take a look at their site. There are several options and price packages available to you. I shifted over to this company when the demand on my server increased. I was attempting to create a table in my database with over one million records, and my former provider couldn't handle it. This company seems to offer many different levels of service based on the size of your business.
I saw reviews for whc that it good but their support services aren’t that great if something happen

I don’t think I need a lot of size, I assumed ... it basically a informational site of about us, list of cookie flavours, few other non cookies items, a few gift options, where to buy from and contact us

I checked out squareplace, it doesn't allow .ca domains ... so thats out

I checked wix, I bought a year plan and then I found out it doesn't accept .pdf files for image to upload my name and logo
Jan 25, 2015
394 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Domain Name Registration
Go with 10dollar.ca for .ca domain names. Their pricing doesn't chanage (no suprise increases after the promo period).

Web & E-Mail Hosting
Go with crocweb.com or boomhost.com (both Canadian companies with Canadian data centres -- sites will load faster for Canadian visitors).
Canadian IPs will also do better with SEOs.

Wordpress
Both hosting companies use CPanel with 1-click installation of Wordpress.

Competition
It would be wise to register .ca, .com, .co and .net versions of the domain name to ensure a competitor doesn't steal your traffic. (This would be approx $70/yr for all 4 domains - but in the grand scheme of things it would be worth it.)

Social Media
Make sure you have a Facebook Page, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube page and try to post content on there as frequently as possible trying to keep your visitors/followers engaged (sharing your website link) to increase your SEO.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4739 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
I get all my .ca domains with www.canspace.ca - I've found them to consistently have the best prices (ie 10.99 with canspace vs 11.55 with 10dollar.ca).

For hosting it depends on what you want (ie just a basic site, VPS, etc). 5-10 years ago it was generally cheaper to go with a bigger US host as they usually had better prices even with currency conversion factored in. These days I find I get better prices overall with CAD hosts, plus I don't have to pay bills in USD. I've had great experiences with both canspace and crocweb. OVH is great for VPS and servers.

For building your site I would avoid squarespace, wix, etc. The issue is these services trap you with them and it's difficult to leave or grow. Go with an open-source platform like Wordpress - tons of free scripts and resources out there for it, and it is supported by virtually all hosts.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11145 posts
2036 upvotes
Most people don't have the time to deal with maintaining websites.

Free doesn't mean anything if it's not easy for the average people to customize and build a site. Wordpress is far from easy and average joe friendly.
gei wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 6:05 am
For building your site I would avoid squarespace, wix, etc. The issue is these services trap you with them and it's difficult to leave or grow. Go with an open-source platform like Wordpress - tons of free scripts and resources out there for it, and it is supported by virtually all hosts.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10082 posts
1552 upvotes
So namecheap, 10dollar, whc, canspace were mentioned for .ca domain in this trhread. Are they all reliable providers?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14405 posts
4229 upvotes
Here 'n There
gei wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 6:05 am
I get all my .ca domains with www.canspace.ca - I've found them to consistently have the best prices (ie 10.99 with canspace vs 11.55 with 10dollar.ca).

For hosting it depends on what you want (ie just a basic site, VPS, etc). 5-10 years ago it was generally cheaper to go with a bigger US host as they usually had better prices even with currency conversion factored in. These days I find I get better prices overall with CAD hosts, plus I don't have to pay bills in USD. I've had great experiences with both canspace and crocweb. OVH is great for VPS and servers.

I agree with regard to using Wordpress vs the canned site builders like wix, shopify etc. They are short term gain for long term pain.
Mar 5, 2006
225 posts
120 upvotes
I use and always recommend AlphaDog Hosting. Domains .ca and .com are $10.97 and the prices never bounce all over the place. Whois privacy is free also.

Hosting wise, the smallest package is $3.50 if you pay for the year and cheaper if you pick a longer term. Building a site is easy, either you can install Wordpress via cPanel or use their website builder. I haven't used it to build a site but played with it and there's tons of templates and it's pretty much plug and play.

Usually best to stay away from any host that uses the term "unlimited" for space/bandwidth and of course any EIG owned host.

Edit: Found a 15% off for life coupon in my email. Let me know if you (or anyone as it doesn't say one time etc) want it.