Art and Photography

Best place to sell used gear locally (Toronto)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
91 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

Best place to sell used gear locally (Toronto)

I'm shifting my focus from concert photography to travel, and as such have some heavy, wide-aperture lenses that I no longer use.

I'd like to sell some lenses, and I don't want to worry about packaging and shipping. I want to sell locally (Toronto).

What is the best place to list this gear? Somewhere that actual photographers will be looking. Is it still Kijiji? Are there any Toronto-specific buy/sell photography forums?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1246 posts
169 upvotes
I would say that at some point in the past, RFD would have been an excellent place for this but honestly the least effort method is going to be Kijiji. Just be ready to ignore a ton of lowball offers (though with Photography gear it seems to be better)
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
I would say kijiji as well. I haven't sold anything on rfd for a while. I always post my items for sale on both rfd and kijiji. I always end up selling it on kijiji. Just know that there will be a lot of time wasters on kijiji.

If you don't mind shipping, it might be worth it to ship your items, and sell online to US buyers, since the US dollar is high. This of course depends on the gear you are selling. I sell on fred miranda sometimes. It's all photogs on there, so items sell quick there, and there aren't a lot of time wasters. One time I overpriced a lens on purpose, and I got the asking price. You do have to factor in shipping to see if it's worth it though. If you don't want to deal shipping, kijiji is the way to go. However, you might make a few extra dollars after shipping, because of the current exchange rates.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1246 posts
169 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:17 pm
I would say kijiji as well. I haven't sold anything on rfd for a while. I always post my items for sale on both rfd and kijiji. I always end up selling it on kijiji. Just know that there will be a lot of time wasters on kijiji.

If you don't mind shipping, it might be worth it to ship your items, and sell online to US buyers, since the US dollar is high. This of course depends on the gear you are selling. I sell on fred miranda sometimes. It's all photogs on there, so items sell quick there, and there aren't a lot of time wasters. One time I overpriced a lens on purpose, and I got the asking price. You do have to factor in shipping to see if it's worth it though. If you don't want to deal shipping, kijiji is the way to go. However, you might make a few extra dollars after shipping, because of the current exchange rates.
This might come off as a bit of a dick move, but when you ship, is the mindset that once it's been shipped (as the seller), it is not in your hands anymore and anything that happens to it (that isn't directly your fault) is not your responsibility?

I suppose insurance, whether it is purchased or not, is a decision for the buyer and sellers just pass on the cost?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
malaujai wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:26 pm
This might come off as a bit of a dick move, but when you ship, is the mindset that once it's been shipped (as the seller), it is not in your hands anymore and anything that happens to it (that isn't directly your fault) is not your responsibility?

I suppose insurance, whether it is purchased or not, is a decision for the buyer and sellers just pass on the cost?
I never had any incident like that happen to me. However, I think the seller is responsible until it's in the buyers hands.

It's up to you as a seller to decide if you want extra insurance or not.

What your saying doesn't work. If the seller wasn't responsible as soon as payment is received. Then sellers could sell broken lenses and tell buyers it was probably due to the shipping company. I always include my price as shipped, so I include some of the cost into it. Most of the time, If i want to sell it quickly and not waste time with buyers on kijiji. I will sell the item for a bit cheaper, or just include shipping for free.

You still need to use caution when buying online still. I don't buy from seller with no feedback, and a low price. I'd rather pay a bit more from a seller who has 100+ feedback, and pay a bit more. That $50 savings isn't worth the risk.

Kijiji is still the safest route though. You can inspect and test camera equipment out before you buy it.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
^ Yes, shipping and insurance are the buyer's responsibility, or you make clear in your ad that you are including them in the sale price (which some sellers do for within-USA transactions on FredMiranda it seems).

I've had good luck both selling and buying on Kijiji and FredMiranda.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
91 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
My concern about shipping is a few things - getting something like a lens packaged properly and budgeting for the packaging materials and shipping costs before I ship it out. I personally wouldn't order something online if I didn't know the shipping cost, but ship things so infrequently myself figuring it all in advance just seems like a huge hassle.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1246 posts
169 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:51 pm
I never had any incident like that happen to me. However, I think the seller is responsible until it's in the buyers hands.

It's up to you as a seller to decide if you want extra insurance or not.

What your saying doesn't work. If the seller wasn't responsible as soon as payment is received. Then sellers could sell broken lenses and tell buyers it was probably due to the shipping company. I always include my price as shipped, so I include some of the cost into it. Most of the time, If i want to sell it quickly and not waste time with buyers on kijiji. I will sell the item for a bit cheaper, or just include shipping for free.

You still need to use caution when buying online still. I don't buy from seller with no feedback, and a low price. I'd rather pay a bit more from a seller who has 100+ feedback, and pay a bit more. That $50 savings isn't worth the risk.

Kijiji is still the safest route though. You can inspect and test camera equipment out before you buy it.
JHW wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:52 pm
^ Yes, shipping and insurance are the buyer's responsibility, or you make clear in your ad that you are including them in the sale price (which some sellers do for within-USA transactions on FredMiranda it seems).

I've had good luck both selling and buying on Kijiji and FredMiranda.
Slightly differing opinions but I suppose the real gist of it is this:
As a seller, propose or default to shipping the item fully insured. Pass this cost onto the buyer and if they agree then you're all good to go?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you can specify that you will only sell insured. Take a photo of the lens in the box before you seal it up, etc. I do concur that if you show up on a forum like FredMiranda and try to sell an expensive lens with no feedback to your name, you may have a hard time getting its full value.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
Yup, agreed.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1744 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't want to deal with selling privately, can always sell to henrys or downtown camera. They generally price the item at about 50-60% of what you get if selling privately. But it save you the hassle of dealing with private buyers who try to low ball on the spot or make you drive an hour to meet and not show up.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4524 posts
1401 upvotes
Debtario
Agreed with everything said here.

I find the selling experience on Kijiji improves as price and specialty of the item increases.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
364 upvotes
Facebook Marketplace is great too. I've had lots of success there. If you are going to sell it to a retailer, I'll be willing to match their offer. Lol.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1246 posts
169 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:58 pm
Facebook Marketplace is great too. I've had lots of success there. If you are going to sell it to a retailer, I'll be willing to match their offer. Lol.
Forgot about this even though I actually sold a body through it... I'm not on FB much anymore but when I am it's usually to sell stuff lol

Note that there's just as many, if not more, lowballers on FB as there are on Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3141 posts
515 upvotes
thecjm wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:56 pm
My concern about shipping is a few things - getting something like a lens packaged properly and budgeting for the packaging materials and shipping costs before I ship it out. I personally wouldn't order something online if I didn't know the shipping cost, but ship things so infrequently myself figuring it all in advance just seems like a huge hassle.
I had a friend take a video of me packing up a working iphone and handing it to the post office. I showed the phone working, shut it down, packed it, showed the address on the envelope and handing it over to post office. But I am next level paranoid. I didn't end up needing the video but I thought that would be the best way to continuously show the "chain of custody" of a working phone to the post office. Probably impractical for a lens - especiallly if it is big and needs special packaging.

There are some places like chit chat express that can mail to the US for super cheap but it's not always easy for everyone to get to.