• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2007 10:59 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 21, 2007
91 posts
Vancouver

Best Place To Work In Retail

I'm mostly looking at Fashion Retail, but I'm open to other options as well.

Work environment matters most to me, so which store/company offers the best work environment?

There are some stores I'm interested in, like Aritzia or Hollister, but I hardly wear any of their clothes. Would it be hard to get a job at any of those places if I haven't exactly "embraced their culture" as a customer?

Also, which place has the most flexible scheduling? I can't stand places that will force you to work at times when you're not available or more shifts than you're willing.

Any other details would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

btw, has anyone worked at the Disney Store?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
oisy wrote:
Oct 15th, 2007 10:30 pm
I'm mostly looking at Fashion Retail, but I'm open to other options as well.

Work environment matters most to me, so which store/company offers the best work environment?

There are some stores I'm interested in, like Aritzia or Hollister, but I hardly wear any of their clothes. Would it be hard to get a job at any of those places if I haven't exactly "embraced their culture" as a customer?

Also, which place has the most flexible scheduling? I can't stand places that will force you to work at times when you're not available or more shifts than you're willing.

Any other details would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

btw, has anyone worked at the Disney Store?
Lots and lots of questions. Sounds like you've never worked retail before. First you have to think about where you want to work, if you don't wear their clothing, odds are you won't fit in, or do well. Not to say that you can't learn. But you may find it easier to work in an environment where you have some knowledge. Store sell brands, and brand images, and you are their representative. If you want to work at a place like Aritzia, then it would be nice if you wore their clothing and knew about the products. I know you have to wear their clothing, when you are working there. As for working environment, it all depends on what you are used to. Something may be good to one person, and terrible to the next. Also it's hard to base that on company alone, sometimes it can boil down to your manager being a total jerk. Although, I have had friends go through the ringer working at Bluenotes. Scheduling can also be a pain, unless you are open and flexible odds are you will come across a shirt or two that you won't want to work. Thats why making work friends is important, so you can switch shifts. Hope this info helps, if you have any other Q's please feel free to PM me.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
[OP]
Sep 21, 2007
91 posts
Vancouver
Thanks for the insight, Cruel_Angel.

I've actually been working in retail for about two years now, the most recent place being Starbucks. I really liked it there, but I don't want to go back because I want to try something new...and if I do go back, I don't know when I'd ever leave again.

A lot of the time, though it's not always the case, the management and company's culture creates the work environment. I really enjoyed that of Starbucks, so I was wondering if I could find something similar. I know it seems a lot to ask for in Retail, and Fashion Retail in particular. Just wanted to see if there were any places out there where employees didn't have a ton to rant about it.

And I'm asking if it would be hard to get a job at a store that I don't shop at much, cause it was the same case for me at Starbucks and Zara. I grew to like their brand/store. The reason why Aritzia and Hollister concern me is because as opposed to Starbucks/Zara, these places would probably want to hire people that are already their "poster girls/boys" as opposed to someone that would be willing to "turn into" one..?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1785 posts
8 upvotes
Scaborough
Im guessing as you probably know from your Zara experience, in fashion retail, theres always quotas to meet. Managers are always pushing you to make those quotas, so when things are slow you gotta make sales. Thats where "office politics" come into play. You can try to avoid stepping on other peoples toes but, inevitably, not everyone will like each other. My sister has worked at several Aritzia locations and this has been the case so far.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34252 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
You could always go in as a stock associate.... then you can just fold clothes, and shoot out stuff to be displayed without dealing with anyone.
I spent a year doing this... it was fun. Got good discounts and i was able to clown around in the back room.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
May 1, 2007
631 posts
1 upvote
I am interested in working at retail clothing stores too. But the "quotas", and "pushing-the-customers" will just turn me off. Been there, and it's just not my thing. Any store recommendations that has a laid-back atmosphere i.e. = NOT harassing the customers?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
SirAlain wrote:
Oct 16th, 2007 11:39 pm
I am interested in working at retail clothing stores too. But the "quotas", and "pushing-the-customers" will just turn me off. Been there, and it's just not my thing. Any store recommendations that has a laid-back atmosphere i.e. = NOT harassing the customers?
Harassing customers? Go work in fast food then, at least there you don't need to approach anybody, they just come to you. Your job in retail is to sell and help the customers. I don't think it's harassment if you say hello and offer a customer a hand. After all they walked into the store, they expect help. How many times have you walked into a store and then left thinking how terrible the service was because nobody offered to help you. Now think, you can be that guy they think about. Employers will be all over you.. :rolleyes:
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
May 1, 2007
631 posts
1 upvote
Cruel_Angel wrote:
Oct 17th, 2007 12:36 am
Harassing customers? Go work in fast food then, at least there you don't need to approach anybody, they just come to you. Your job in retail is to sell and help the customers. I don't think it's harassment if you say hello and offer a customer a hand. After all they walked into the store, they expect help. How many times have you walked into a store and then left thinking how terrible the service was because nobody offered to help you. Now think, you can be that guy they think about. Employers will be all over you.. :rolleyes:
Hello, my name is Millie! How may I help you to-DAY!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
6 upvotes
SirAlain wrote:
Find stores that don't have commission
:mad: :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5015 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
SirAlain wrote:
Go work at bestbuy... it's a little more chill since it's not commission based.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15669 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA West
SirAlain wrote:
Shoppers Drug Mart
LCBO (seasonal, it's impossible to get full time)
Bulk Barn (But dealing with food is icky)
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
blizzah wrote:
Oct 17th, 2007 2:12 pm
Find stores that don't have commission
That really doesn't matter much. I find people not on commission tend to just initially point you in the right direction etc.... People on commission will actually try sell you, hence, giving you all the information you need.

I only say this since I worked in wireless sales before with a base+ commission. If there was no commission, our effort would be reduced to try make a sale.
× < >