Off Topic Archive

Locked: Best places to buy and brands of Pepper Spray in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2008 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes

Best places to buy and brands of Pepper Spray in Toronto?

All the security problems in Toronto got me thinking it's time to stock up on some Pepper Spray so I can be sure to kick some butt if the need arises. Actually I've been in situations before with drug addicts accosting me on the street where it would have been very useful to have some.

I've never bought any before.

So, my questions are:

1. Where is the best place in Toronto to buy Pepper Spray?

2. What is the best brand of Pepper Spray to buy? Ie: one that won't fail, sprays really far, kicks a lot of butt etc. etc.

3. Is Pepper Spray the best legal item to carry around for butt-kicking potential in case there is a threat to one's personal security, or are there better alternatives? PS: Don't say "nothing" or "don't get into bad situations" because sometimes that's unavoidable, like when drug addicts accost you on the street just because you are there.
Share:
51 replies
Apr 14, 2006
427 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
search up some army surplus stores, would u consider an extendo?
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
I don't wanna use an extendo due to the potential it has to be taken away from me, and used against me. I'm willing to take that risk with Pepper Spray, though.

I did a search and came up with pepperspray.ca and they sell one to use against bears, and say don't use it against humans. Is it illegal to use that against humans? Because I don't mind using it if it's legal. They say it may constitute an assault though on the website.

Does the legality of it change due to the type of Pepper Spray it is? Ie: If I used lower grade Pepper Spray, would that not be an assault just because it's lower grade? Or does it not matter how high the grade is, and if it's assault or not depends 100% on the circumstances?

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, which is why I made this thread to learn everything I need to know and the best option to use.
Oct 27, 2007
211 posts
toronto
its illegal.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
errorinexcellence wrote:
Mar 20th, 2008 7:49 pm
its illegal.
Could you be more specific? What is illegal?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
Pepper spray is a prohibited weapon in Canada.

If you use it against a human, you have now commited assault with a weapon.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
http://ispytoronto.com/id34.htm
If caught tell the cops you are scared to death of dogs, that's why you carry it.
I got.....nothing to say.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
Ebola wrote:
Mar 20th, 2008 7:56 pm
Pepper spray is a prohibited weapon in Canada.

If you use it against a human, you have no comitted assault with a weapon.
Thanks for the info.

Did this law change in recent years?

I remember hearing on the news/reading in the media several years ago (possibly 10+ years ago), several times, that Pepper Spray was legal to carry in Toronto, yet Mace was not.

Did that used to be accurate information, and now it no longer is?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote:
Mar 20th, 2008 7:59 pm
Thanks for the info.

Did this law change in recent years?

I remember hearing on the news/reading in the media several years ago (possibly 10+ years ago), several times, that Pepper Spray was legal to carry in Toronto, yet Mace was not.

Did that used to be accurate information, and now it no longer is?
I can tell you absolutely pepper spray and mace are prohibited weapons. I have fined people and seen arrests made for smuggling those items, and they are most definetly prohibited weapons.

The small loophole that remains is that it can be purchased for "protection from wildlife". In specific bears.

The other exception is authorized law enforcement.

The use of "dog spray" has now come into question, I've heard that it doesn't really have any affect on dogs other than annoying them.
nx2k wrote:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
Ebola, what would you recommend as the most effective, legal personal protection item? Like say I'm walking at Queen and Bathurst and a very hostile crackhead accosts me for no reason and starts invading my personal space and won't get out of it, and is making me feel like my personal safety is in immediate extreme jeopardy (this has actually happened to me before). What is the best thing to do in this situation? In my mind it seems like without Pepper Spray then the only thing I have left is fisticuffs, which seems a lot more dangerous. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34250 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
self defense is justified with reasonable force.

But in the end... its up to the judge to decide.
Eg... a crazy guy stabs a woman. You take out a gun and shoot him. the force may seem unreasonable b/c gun>knife... but the crazy guy was an immediate danger to someones life.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
First of all, pepper spray isn't karate in a can.

It takes upwards of 5-10 seconds to take effect, even if you properly dose someone with it.

So it's not like on TV (The Office comes to mind) where Dwight sprays Roy, how he just stops and drops. It doesn't happen like that.

It hurts like a *****, but you can fight through pepper spray.

The best personal legal protection? Your highly trained body parts.

"fists", elbows, knees, feet(shins).
nx2k wrote:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
When I'm doing more web searching as a result of the replies I'm getting in this thread, the web seems to be saying that while what you said is correct Ebola, the exceptions are pepper sprays that are designed for use on animals. The web consensus seems to be that these forms or pepper spray are legal to carry, but simply not legal to use on humans. Is that right?

If so would it not be wise to carry it and only use it on humans in extreme situations? Might be worth it if it can save my life. Being forced to rely on fisticuffs doesn't seem like a very safe or wise option. :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote:
Mar 20th, 2008 8:24 pm
When I'm doing more web searching as a result of the replies I'm getting in this thread, the web seems to be saying that while what you said is correct Ebola, the exceptions are pepper sprays that are designed for use on animals. The web consensus seems to be that these forms or pepper spray are legal to carry, but simply not legal to use on humans. Is that right?

If so would it not be wise to carry it and only use it on humans in extreme situations? Might be worth it if it can save my life. Being forced to rely on fisticuffs doesn't seem like a very safe or wise option. :confused:
First of all, you made my day by using "fisticuffs" multiple times.

Secondly, you can buy it for use against animals, again it is almost sold exclusively as "BEAR SPRAY" or "Dog Spray".

Now it doesn't matter if you bought "BEAR SPRAY" legally, if you live in Toronto you can not go walking around the TTC with a can of bear spray on your belt. It doesn't work like that.

There has to be a reasonable factor, as with everything. If you are going hunting in Northern Quebec, you can have it. If you are riding the subway, no.

As soon as you use it anyway for 'self-defence' you going to be in trouble, because it is not to be used on humans, you are not supposed to be walking around with it, so you might end up with charges, and at minimum a lawsuit.
nx2k wrote:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
457 posts
48 upvotes
So then would carrying around the "Dog Spray" instead be a fine loophole to what you just said?
× < >