• Jan 4th, 2019 3:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
^ lovely

Sunbursts are governed by the lens’ aperture blades.

Heaton happens to be “English” lol, you can skip to the CPL and filter set portion near the end. And his subsequent vid shows you how he stacked it in Ps:

[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 5:07 pm
Sunbursts are governed by the lens’ aperture blades.
Very interesting video. Will definitely try the Focus Stacking technique when I find a composition that would benefit from it. Thank you ⬆

Now I'm wondering about sunburst. Why you have it so pronounced. Most of my pictures with bright objects either don't have it or it's barely noticeable.
DSC_3731.jpg
DSC_3752.jpg
DSC_3776.jpg

Edit: Found the answer. Set your aperture as high as it can go (at least f18). But if I set it that high, I'd need a tripod :(
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
zaporozhets wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 6:18 pm
Very interesting video. Will definitely try the Focus Stacking technique when I find a composition that would benefit from it. Thank you ⬆

Now I'm wondering about sunburst. Why you have it so pronounced. Most of my pictures with bright objects either don't have it or it's barely noticeable.
DSC_3731.jpgDSC_3752.jpgDSC_3776.jpg

Edit: Found the answer. Set your aperture as high as it can go (at least f18). But if I set it that high, I'd need a tripod :(
http://kurtbudliger.com/5-secrets-to-killer-sunstars/
I have the lens listed in 5), 16-35 f/2.8II

I've also faked it in Photoshop using Principle Light Hits, which now supports mobile

Definitely get a tripod and try not to go past f/18, IQ will suffer. A tripod will let you get very creative like car light trails, steel wool and sparkler shots beyond the common practice of using it when you are going slower than handheld.
Apr 12, 2008
565 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 11:18 am
iPhone X, 40min before twilight near the Parry Sound 33 fires:

French River at Highway 69, looking west?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
M_Matt wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 8:58 am
French River at Highway 69, looking west?
From the bridge here:

Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1744 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think there is anything comparable with the sony. I have a panasonic gx-something but low light is bad.
Apr 10, 2012
958 posts
464 upvotes
I've been using a Canon G9x for the past year and I absolutely love it. The zoom is limited, but all the other functions are fantastic for a truly pocketable camera. It's with me almost as often as my phone and I often pair it with a Gorillapod. It's definitely a versatile and affordable option.

Everything in this album was taken with my G9x MK1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150815293 ... 2026557000
Dec 23, 2012
17 posts
GEORGETOWN
Panasonic zs200 has a one inch sensor sort good for low light. Also has 15 x optical zoom plus many other cool features. It’s pocketable
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5499 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Personally, I find your photo samples as “unnatural”. Is that even a thing? Sorry I’m not a photographer lol. Maybe it’s just the editing, but it looks heavily artificial.

zaporozhets wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:59 pm
Animals are not that trusty of people where I live. No way to take such close picture with a phone. This was taken at about 250mm zoom with Nikon. And you can't have that background blur on a phone.
Yes, I edit all of my DSLR photos in lightroom. I try to make my photos look the same as reality looked to my eyes at the moment of taking picture.

Your iPhone X example is a good illustration of what I'm trying to avoid. Sky looks overexposed and reflections look underexposed. I'm not saying your photo is bad or not pretty, but it's just not how I like my photos to look.

I take many pictures that can't be reasonably taken with any phone, unless I stop caring about quality.

Low light with very bright background

DSC_7557.jpg

Super low light example

DSC_7663.jpg

This is how I like my sky and reflections to look

DSC_6872.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
it's subjective so why are you apologizing

I agree with him though, either the iPhone 8/X sucks for P&S stills or I don't know how to use it...I 'd rather carry my Sony RX and mess with it in post than for AI to do it for me...that's not to say I didn't get some incredible shots but 9 out of 10 times I would pick a half decent sized sensor and zoom glass with full control/raw and edit to my taste than to pick a tiny sensor tied to an absolute powerhouse chip for the size to do the processing for me

now if you're also talking about video, then that absolutely changes the discussion
granted my only other 4K60 capable shooter is a xiaomi, but WOW...the newer iPhones create the dreamiest of dream production
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 2:24 am
Personally, I find your photo samples as “unnatural”. Is that even a thing? Sorry I’m not a photographer lol. Maybe it’s just the editing, but it looks heavily artificial.
Absolutely no need to apologize. Perhaps I used the wrong word. Our eyes and brains are all different, so we all have different perceptions of reality.
I sometimes can't agree with my wife if a color is a shade of green or shade of blue. It seems we can even have different interpretation of basic things like color spectrum.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:09 am
the newer iPhones create the dreamiest of dream production
Could you explain what you mean? What makes it dreamy?

This is how I dream of filming someday (the parts where they crank up the ISO and see better than human eye)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5499 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Well said. It’s refreshing seeing well thought out and intelligent responses on RFD. Just looking at some of these mini cameras it makes me cringe at how expensive they get. I’m good with my iPhone pics :D. Good luck in your hunt though.
zaporozhets wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:35 am
Absolutely no need to apologize. Perhaps I used the wrong word. Our eyes and brains are all different, so we all have different perceptions of reality.
I sometimes can't agree with my wife if a color is a shade of green or shade of blue. It seems we can even have different interpretation of basic things like color spectrum.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
shahram0 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 11:56 am
I've been using a Canon G9x for the past year and I absolutely love it. The zoom is limited, but all the other functions are fantastic for a truly pocketable camera. It's with me almost as often as my phone and I often pair it with a Gorillapod. It's definitely a versatile and affordable option.

Everything in this album was taken with my G9x MK1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150815293 ... 2026557000
Reviews are not very promising: "its lens is very soft, which greatly affects image quality"
https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon ... anon_g9xii