• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 3:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
a7s is quite old now

let's say gh5s + cine lens + ronin-S will break your arm after 15 min and you'll need to give up a kidney for that setup

you can probably buy half a dozen iPhone 8s on cheaper gimbals, and still come out ahead (if your PC can handle 4K60 in VR? lol)
zaporozhets wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:53 am
Could you explain what you mean? What makes it dreamy?

This is how I dream of filming someday (the parts where they crank up the ISO and see better than human eye)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10097 posts
1897 upvotes
Montréal
Damn, just popped in to say you guys have some serious skills man! Wow! Totally different world from where I'm at. Ok, bye. :)
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
406 posts
414 upvotes
Vancouver
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 4:29 am
a7s is quite old now

let's say gh5s + cine lens + ronin-S will break your arm after 15 min and you'll need to give up a kidney for that setup

you can probably buy half a dozen iPhone 8s on cheaper gimbals, and still come out ahead (if your PC can handle 4K60 in VR? lol)
Yeah, it's old, but it's cheap enough now to afford Neutral Face

Instructions unclear, how to you use a dozen iPhones to replace a full frame camera? Face With Tears Of Joy I did many videos with LG V20 on DJI Osmo Mobile and low light always sucked. Sometimes I could still make video with my Nikon, but the phone camera was too dark to be useful at all. Perhaps I should have used a dozen? LOL
Feb 8, 2006
885 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
We have been using the Canon G5X, although pricy, is the perfect travel and everyday camera. Usually keep in coat pocket or back jean pocket. I don't touch my DSLR anymore. The size, F1.8, viewfinder, and fully articulating screen were the main features that drew me in. Pricey, but worth it!
Images
  • IMG_2958.JPG
  • IMG_2474.JPG
  • IMG_0465.JPG
buffylover wrote:
Apr 6th, 2007 5:44 pm
im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Dec 4, 2018
4 posts
My 2 Lumix cameras experienced zoom errors and landed in garbage. What a waste. No more Panasonic cameras.
Jun 5, 2010
640 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a Sony RX100 ii a few years ago when my son was born, and have been happy with it. I bought it because I needed a good camera, but no DSRL. The mark 3 was out, but the mark 2 was discounted. I'm just your typical point and shoot everyday photographer, with zero technical experience. I may start looking at upgrading in the not too distant future. And best pocketable camera is a good place to search. Hope OP found what he was looking for.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3698 posts
872 upvotes
Vancouver
skowronek wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 6:39 pm
My 2 Lumix cameras experienced zoom errors and landed in garbage. What a waste. No more Panasonic cameras.
Interesting. Neither of mine has. 30,000+ shots on the oldest and about 3000+ shots on the current one (ZS100).

[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
406 posts
414 upvotes
Vancouver
I would like to thank everyone for helping decide on a best pocketable camera. I finally made a decision and, honestly, I even surprised myself. And the winner is... (dramatic silence)... Sony A7R2 with 28mm f2.0 lens.

Yeah, yeah... I hear you saying "WTF?! That's not really pocketable." But hear me out before making that final judgement on my sanity.
It's not a secret that photographic abilities of our phones get better all the time. So my reasoning is that in order to carry a camera in addition to a phone, it must significantly exceed its abilities besides fitting in a pocket. After having a really close and wide look at current camera market, thanks to many suggestions that you guys had, I came to realization that only the best camera/lens combination in the (barely) pocketable size would warrant the inconvenience of carrying something in addition to phone. We are not upgrading cameras every couple years, like we do with phones, right? So, it must be able to compete not just with phones that exist today, but also with phones that will exist 5 years from now. But... I couldn't justify the price of most good pocketable camera choices if I was still going to keep a DSLR for travel. And this is where the second lens, that is very inexpensive and light for what it can do, helped me settle on Sony full frame: 24-240 f3.5-6.3.
I was itching to upgrade my aging D5300 with 16-300mm for something sharper and with better light sensitivity, but couldn't really justify it, despite having increased frequency of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). But now I had not just 0 reasons, and not even 1 reason, but the whole 2 reasons to upgrade: travel and pocketable camera at the same time! But this gets even better when you realize that this camera is compatible with many old manual prime lenses that are also incredibly lightweight and small. Already waiting for Jupiter-8 50mm f2.0 for just $50 to come in the mail. Yep, that $50, not $500! The one I ordered was made in 1962 and it's mind boggling that it can still be used with cameras made today. And the next one will be 21mm converter for the 28mm prime. Also incredible deal for such a wide and sharp full frame lens and absolutely a must for interior architecture photos. If you are in the same boat, don't just look at the cameras. Look at the whole ecosystem and the lens selection, including adaptable ones, and how it's applicable to the types of photos and situations you see yourself in.

TLDR: think about the future and only buy something that you going to keep carrying with you for years, despite having increasingly able phone in your pocket.

and once again: Thank you guys!
20190104_113745.jpg
20190104_113840.jpg