• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 11:57 am
Dec 18, 2017
135 posts
73 upvotes
Ridge Meadows
Mar16M wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 9:14 pm
I installed 5 Ubiquiti Unifi G3 at my house. Quite happy with them, I have them hooked up to a pc running BlueIris.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
I'd second the Unifi G3. I have 3 of them hooked up to a media server that is already running 24/7. It's great because Ubiquiti continues to support them with new firmware to address security and improving performance issues. The come on sale occasionally for around $150.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
n1rav23 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 7:16 pm
Wired cameras are old now. If you are looking for DIY system , Try Toucan by Kuna. It is very easy to install and works like a charm. I have 3 cameras bought them on boxing day. The setup is quick as it powers itself using existing light fixtures. It also has a built in siren, which is a mist have.

Check out a comparison of all the major competitors.
Disagree.

Wifi cameras have their limitation as video resolution is limited and also kills your bandwidth, They don't even have 2160p yet, and probably miles away from 4k.

As for the recordings, all of the major brands require a subscription.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
xg3 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 10:05 pm
Dahua POE all around the house, inside and outside for two years with BlueIris.. very satisfied.

Bought all of them off aliexpress
Which seller please @xg3 ?
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
RETD wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 10:12 am
I haven't bought any cameras yet, Dahua or otherwise (I've been playing with BlueIris and a couple of existing indoor IP cameras).

The guys on IPcamtalk seem to buy from this Andy guy. He owns/runs at least 2 AliExpress stores - Empire Technology and BEC. BEC prices are slightly lower for the same item, as far as I can tell that's due to different shipping methods (e.g. epacket vs DHL).

For that great-value camera mentioned in my post above, here are a couple of quotes. One from Empire Tech (Andy) for US$169 and one from another seller for US$141. Why the difference? Be prepared to pay about C$30 in duties on top of the camera price.

For US$169

It has this warning:

"Attention:
1. All the products are with English version only; Most cameras on the market are Chinese not English. "

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Starlig ... 42126.html?

For US$141:

Do you trust the statement below? Is it a Chinese camera with hacked English firmware? I have no idea.

"Dahua OEM version without logo, same software, same specification, same quality. (for protection of local distributor)
English Language, You can upgrade it, and we can also provide firmware."

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IPC-HDW ... 16529.html

Furthermore there are sellers on Ebay as mentioned by another poster above. What kind of camera are you truly getting from those sellers?

Then I ask myself if I really ever need to update the firmware - depends how you use it I suppose. I plan to connect these cameras to BlueIris so once up and running I **think** I'm fine indefinitely, but again I don't really know.

In the end is it worth paying US$28 more (plus incremental duties) to buy from Andy, not worry about future firmware upgrade compatibility and to be sure you're getting the proper camera? If I go the safe route I'm paying about C$250 total for the unit.

Too many unknowns to consider and that's why I'm thinking I may just try the cheapo $60 CC camera and see how it goes.
@RETD , any updates from this last post?
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 3:01 pm
There are many many systems out on the market. Most of them are OEM'ed by either Dahua or HikVision.

All the professional installs we do use FLIR (Dahua) products. We've had great luck with them. They are only available through professional installers though.
They are available on ebay, Amazon and Aliexpress actually as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4476 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
mountaintree wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 12:24 am
They are available on ebay, Amazon and Aliexpress actually as well.
Neat, good luck with that. Just to remind they do not do tech support for end users unless that has changed within the last month or so.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 10:55 pm
Neat, good luck with that. Just to remind they do not do tech support for end users unless that has changed within the last month or so.
Hikvision don't like doing it for end users unless bought from an authorized Hikvision reseller in which case the cameras will be much more expensive but they will respond as far as I know.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
RETD wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 10:33 am
I've been researching same and getting lost in the rabbit hole.
J read on reddit that the ipcam forum is sponsored by that seller they are always promoting so makes sense that they talk it up. So I say do your research before going with any buyer.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1222 posts
327 upvotes
Oakville
mountaintree wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 12:23 am
@RETD , any updates from this last post?
Late reply b/c I was out of the country on an extended vacation.

I ended up buying my eyeball/turret cameras from CC. One was an "iCan" model on clearance for $40 and the other was an "iSee" model for $60. As far as I can tell they're identical, seems CC has changed branding from iCan to iSee so the iCan's are old. Both are outdoor rated (IP66) with metal housings.

They've been installed for about 2.5 months now and working well. FOR MY SITUATION night vision is fine and so is picture quality. I have these hooked up to Blue Iris so shouldn't have to worry about firmware upgrades. I have no idea how to upgrade firmware or even how to hard reset the cameras should I ever need to, they could become bricks. Might have to take the eyeball apart but never tried.

I experimented with other host software but Blue Iris is by far the easiest to configure & use FOR MY PURPOSES. BI has a 15-day free trial and if you run out of time just save your configuration and re-install the s/w. I did this more than once before I bought the license from AARTECH in which you get the same nominal price but in CAD instead of USD.

I have Blue Iris storing motion triggered pics/vids to local SSD which are synched to Google Drive for my free cloud storage. While away I got email alerts with pics and I could check GD for more comprehensive recordings. Additionally I port forwarded my cameras so I could monitor them directly, remotely via browser but Blue Iris also has a mobile app that you can buy that will allow you do same and more.

We'll see how the cams hold up over the winter, time will tell.
FWIW my system is not mission-critical.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1020 posts
439 upvotes
CALGARY
mountaintree wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 1:03 pm
J read on reddit that the ipcam forum is sponsored by that seller they are always promoting so makes sense that they talk it up. So I say do your research before going with any buyer.
this makes more sense now. I never seen any forum promote such extensively about a seller. Few of them even bashed few users who complained on that seller.
Feb 25, 2003
281 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
I was considering Reolink. They have their own store on AliExpress and other China sites. Online reviews seem to be outstanding.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
186 upvotes
cec4111 wrote:
May 31st, 2018 12:19 pm
this makes more sense now. I never seen any forum promote such extensively about a seller. Few of them even bashed few users who complained on that seller.
Last I read they delete negative posts about him too. Kind of odd.

@RETD - thank you!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1448 posts
317 upvotes
GTA
I have Foscam POE 2mg with night vision , no issues at all, not the best in the market but enough for me
Jul 28, 2011
215 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Beware of ipcamtalk forum! It's being run by a cesspool admins like fenderman who will viciously attack you, call you an idiot, and throw other insults at you, if you just positively comment on anything other than Dahua and Andy. For sure they are getting kickbacks from him. Having such an aggressive attitude definitely taints confidence in products they are heavily advertising. I've been even banned from the forum :) just for telling him in a nice way that he's rude for insulting a person who posted a review of cheep camera alternative. He then promptly deleted my and his rude comments.

So, my advice would be to check Reddit first, places like r/videosurveillance, r/homeautomation/ and r/videosurveillance/, and then venture to other websites. You'll get unbiased opinion on Reddit, while you should take comments from forums like ipcamtalk with a big grain of salt.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2843 posts
357 upvotes
I'm moving into a new place next summer and I've been thinking about setting up IP cameras because "that's what people do".

I'm accustomed to the old school 80's 90s alarms for the doors and windows but I'm not sure:
1. whether the quality of security video at night is good; and
2. what the benefits are for security video at home (ignoring cloud vs local storage); and

On the first point - Whenever the media shows footage from security cameras at night, the footage is never any good! Example 1, Example 2, Example 3 - even has a spot light on the car!

On the second point - What are you going to do with that information? If the quality is the same as the videos above, is it even helpful? It looks pretty lousy except maybe to identify the race and height of a person of interest (and the number of them). How have people found video to be helpful for actual security (as opposed to dispute resolution with neighbours and delivery of retail items)? Or is it worth it just for the peace of mind for dispute resolution? lol

Thanks