• Jan 12th, 2019 12:26 am
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29655 posts
4498 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 1:09 am
Any thoughts on this for a bottom of the basement budget POE system?

https://www.amazon.ca/JOOAN-Security-Mo ... ewpoints=1

I saw someone mention their JOOAN cameras are okay.
You get what you pay for with cheap systems. But I believe a cheap system is better than nonsystem

I think if you can get 3 to 5 years use from the JOOAN system, you’ve done okay.
Nov 1, 2015
151 posts
51 upvotes
BC
Ive been researching camera systems for months. Ive decided to go with a 4 channel POE system but I'm still not sure what brand to go with. My budget is $500 for a 1080p 4 camera system with NVR and minimum 1TB HDD.

I've researched:

HikVision
Swann
GW Security
Techage
LTS
Amcrest
Trendnet
Annke
Loxcam
Hiseeu
CDD
Dahua
Q-See
Lorex
Sannce
Ubiquiti
D-Link
Anran
Ezviz
Nest
Jooan
OOSSXX
Zmodo
Zclever (lol)
Defender
Netgear
Reolink
HJT

The camera systems that are priced around $199-$399 seem very hit or miss in terms of reviews. #1 complain being support and #2 complaint being dead camera's or NVR. Im not sure if the people buying these systems just lack basic networking skills to troubleshoot a simple problem or if it is actually the equipment that is at fault.

The systems I researched that range from $399-$699 seem to be a lot better in terms of reviews. My question is for those of you who have owned one of the brands I mentioned above which one would you go with if you had a budget of $500 and why?
Dec 2, 2008
69 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Can someone point me to the resources involved with setup? I've seen many of these systems such as the Lorex at Costco and I remember viewing something about surveillance camera installation at Canada Computers but what is the cost for this? There is the budget for the system themselves but is everyone installing these devices themselves? What is the cost of hiring a professional to install these devices around the house if one were to order the system in advance from an online or brick and mortar retailer? I'm in the Montreal area if anyone from around here has had to pay someone for this before.
Apr 19, 2004
745 posts
107 upvotes
Earth
Nites07 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:35 pm
Ive been researching camera systems for months. Ive decided to go with a 4 channel POE system but I'm still not sure what brand to go with. My budget is $500 for a 1080p 4 camera system with NVR and minimum 1TB HDD.

I've researched:

HikVision
Swann
GW Security
Techage
LTS
Amcrest
Trendnet
Annke
Loxcam
Hiseeu
CDD
Dahua
Q-See
Lorex
Sannce
Ubiquiti
D-Link
Anran
Ezviz
Nest
Jooan
OOSSXX
Zmodo
Zclever (lol)
Defender
Netgear
Reolink
HJT

The camera systems that are priced around $199-$399 seem very hit or miss in terms of reviews. #1 complain being support and #2 complaint being dead camera's or NVR. Im not sure if the people buying these systems just lack basic networking skills to troubleshoot a simple problem or if it is actually the equipment that is at fault.

The systems I researched that range from $399-$699 seem to be a lot better in terms of reviews. My question is for those of you who have owned one of the brands I mentioned above which one would you go with if you had a budget of $500 and why?
You missed EyeoNet
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29655 posts
4498 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Nites07 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:35 pm
With that limited budget, you probably will not get IP cameras. More likely TVI (Analogue)

The 1 terabyte will give you 2 or 3 days max at 1080p of continuous recording. That is not adequate. You should get enough storage for at least 30 days. Out door cameras will be constantly recording because there is always something moving to activate the recording.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1270 posts
897 upvotes
With 4 cams recording 24/7 at 1080 I get 87 hours of recording with 1 terabyte. Paid US$180 and the cams work even when temp is down to -30C. Extremely happy with my setup. Not a single problem in 4 years.
Ignorance breeds fear.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10745 posts
325 upvotes
Ubiquiti is decent but you won’t get it within your small budget.
May 27, 2018
15 posts
4 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 6:42 am
With 4 cams recording 24/7 at 1080 I get 87 hours of recording with 1 terabyte. Paid US$180 and the cams work even when temp is down to -30C. Extremely happy with my setup. Not a single problem in 4 years.
I too need to setup security systems. Can you list the parts with model #s? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1270 posts
897 upvotes
AntonioG23218 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:04 am
I too need to setup security systems. Can you list the parts with model #s? Thanks.
I looked for it but the product has been discontinued.
Ignorance breeds fear.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2757 posts
398 upvotes
Alot of the security systems made have security issues, that never get patched. I like Foscam, they seem to be realasing fixes often.
Feb 25, 2003
281 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:36 am
Alot of the security systems made have security issues, that never get patched. I like Foscam, they seem to be realasing fixes often.
So true. Hikvision seems to be the most popular and the one with most problems. Probably because they rebrand as OEMs to sell under other brands. Here is a list I found:
https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-oems-dir

Also, there is a backdoor exploit which was discovered 2 years ago for Hikvision cameras that is still an issue:
https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-hack-map

All this is relevant if you are planning on accessing your cameras from outside your network.
Dec 1, 2006
100 posts
12 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 6:42 am
Can you share what products you are using
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1270 posts
897 upvotes
freed1b wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:12 am
Can you share what products you are using
Sorry, but like wrote in post #69, the product has been discontinued :(
Ignorance breeds fear.