• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2017 7:05 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Montreal

Best prepaid or 1yr plan /w 2+ GB data

Been looking for hours this morning for it. Basically, I'd like to switch from Telus and I'm looking for a prepaid plan with at least 2GB of data. Everything I see is around a ridiculous 70$ for 1GB. Prepaid plans seem way worse than the regular ones... Or I could go for a 1yr plan BYOD. I can't seem to find anything decent. Chatr would be an option but they only offer 3G speeds.
EDIT: I should add, I'm looking for a plan available in QC.

Man, I think we're the only country on the planet where mobile plans are getting more expensive...
Thanks!
Last edited by contva on Jul 14th, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10760 posts
1572 upvotes
Toronto
contva wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:24 am
Been looking for hours this morning for it. Basically, I'd like to switch from Telus and I'm looking for a prepaid plan with at least 2GB of data. Everything I see is around a ridiculous 70$ for 1GB. Prepaid plans seem way worse than the regular ones... Or I could go for a 1yr plan BYOD. I can't seem to find anything decent. Chatr would be an option but they only offer 3G speeds.

Man, I think we're the only country on the planet where mobile plans are getting more expensive...
Thanks!
Public Mobile WAS good at $40 for 2 GB unlimited province talk and text. Til yesterday, when they hiked it 50% to $60 a month.

At this point I'd wait a month and see what the back to school competition brings. Plans suck right now.
Nov 13, 2014
47 posts
11 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I bought a PM sim card at the end of june so my girlfriend could switch to them with the 6gb/3month plan when her prepaid plan with Telus will end (in a couple of days) but they just changed it so that card is now absolete.

I spent some time looking this morning and the best I could find was Fido with 1gb of data for 35$/month for a BYOD plan.
May 8, 2009
595 posts
152 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
theXshape wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 2:16 pm
I bought a PM sim card at the end of june so my girlfriend could switch to them with the 6gb/3month plan when her prepaid plan with Telus will end (in a couple of days) but they just changed it so that card is now absolete.

I spent some time looking this morning and the best I could find was Fido with 1gb of data for 35$/month for a BYOD plan.
@theXshape that's a QC plan (I see you're in QC). To be fair, OP is also in QC.

@contva isn't your cell a QC number?? Why would plans be $70+ for 1 GB?

Fido's $35 per month BYOD is also available on Koodo and Virgin, plus with Virgin you might snag the +1 GB for $2 add-on (loyalty add-on). Might require taking a phone, then buying out (paying off the phone balance and going on BYOD), then add the add-on (I don't know carrier who offers loyalty deals on strictly BYOD). Koodo doesn't have data add-ons, not sure about Fido.

Tbaytel is still the best deal (3G data) for the 1 yr prepaid, but that requires going dual-sim or do talk & text through an app and use the Tbaytel sim for data only. For a bit more, get the Fido data plan for $15 per month 3 GB data, and do talk & text through a separate sim or through an app.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11995 posts
3731 upvotes
Oakville
Is prepaid a requirement? If not, Koodo has a $50 postpaid BYOD plan with 2gb data.
Public Mobile
Koodo
May 8, 2009
595 posts
152 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
contva wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:43 pm
Yes, QC number. I was thinking of prepaid ones, like this (Virgin)
where can i upload pictures to share for free

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
In QC go post-paid, it's a no brainer as you can get region-specific plans :D
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3757 posts
399 upvotes
NORTH YORK
contva wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:24 am
EDIT: I should add, I'm looking for a plan available in QC.

Thanks!
Search for tbytel prepaid in this forum. It costs you $125. for 20 Gb of 3 g data throughout Canada (QC included). You top up when necessary.
You can place an ad in rfd too
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan & $20 unlimited Can call
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3757 posts
399 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:00 pm
For a bit more, get the Fido data plan for $15 per month 3 GB data, and do talk & text through a separate sim or through an app.
I second that too. Best option of all with big bang on the buck
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan & $20 unlimited Can call
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think @Kurtz7834 is right though. I'll wait a month to see if any back to school deals are worth it.
Oct 7, 2016
789 posts
420 upvotes
contva wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:52 am
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think @Kurtz7834 is right though. I'll wait a month to see if any back to school deals are worth it.
You could do month to month on Koodo $50 2gb QC plan and wait to see if anything better comes along at end of summer. You would also get $50 referral credit for staying for 3 months with Koodo if you get a referral from someone before joining. Or Zoomer has a $40.50 plan that needs a 2yr contract. But if you don't need a phone, select the flip phone as it has the lowest buy out. The phone "value" is listed at $100 but after 6 months the buy out would be $50. Factoring their $50 referral credit also you would end up breaking even if you were to "buy out" your agreement with Zoomer after 1 yr.
Koodo: $25 unlimited talk & text
Zoomer: $36 400 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends/text & 2gb LTE
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
I can't believe how expensive service is in Canada.

T-Mobile US. For $5 extra you can get North American roaming.

Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11995 posts
3731 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:20 pm
I can't believe how expensive service is in Canada.

T-Mobile US. For $5 extra you can get North American roaming.

America also has 10x Canada's population, and a smaller area to cover, etc etc etc.

What's more outrageous is the differentiation between plan prices in Quebec and Ontario, where the population density argument doesn't hold up. Quebec has less than half the population density of Ontario, yet still has cheaper plans because they have strong local competition (Videotron). And then you look at Saskatchewan, which has just over 1/10th the population density of Ontario, and is also magically able to offer cheaper plans than Ontario too.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:50 am
America also has 10x Canada's population, and a smaller area to cover, etc etc etc.
Yeah, blah, blah, blah. That's how Canadian cell companies justify the highest prices in the industrialized world.
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:50 am
What's more outrageous is the differentiation between plan prices in Quebec and Ontario, where the population density argument doesn't hold up. Quebec has less than half the population density of Ontario, yet still has cheaper plans because they have strong local competition (Videotron). And then you look at Saskatchewan, which has just over 1/10th the population density of Ontario, and is also magically able to offer cheaper plans than Ontario too.
The key in Quebec and Saskatchewan is the presence of competition (Videotron and SaskTel). If the CRTC were more open to allow more competition and smaller players to enter the market we would all have cheaper rates. Instead the opposite happens in Canada. First Rogers is allowed to buy Fido and then recently, Bell is allowed to buy MTS. Also recently, Sugar Mobile shut down because Rogers didn't like how they operated on their network. It's tough for competition when the CRTC sides with big business.

The US has good competition. The prices are the same everywhere because if they weren't there would be trouble. There is also no such thing as long distance calling (except outside of North America) nor out of state texting like in Canada. This is where Canadian cell providers rip off Canadians charging you to call or text outside of your province. This is outrageous and Canadians are getting scammed. It's not like they can't afford to provide lower prices - they made $3.3 BILLION in profit last year. Because of the lack of competition, they are charging outrageous fees and the CRTC and Canadians continue to allow it to happen.

The only thing I would buy from Rogers is their stock because I would get a cut of that $3.3 billion! Thanks Canada! :twisted:

I didn't mean to single out Rogers. However, it's basically the same across the board. Bell made $3.1 billion in 2016 and Telus made $1.2 billion in 2016.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11995 posts
3731 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:11 pm
Yeah, blah, blah, blah. That's how Canadian cell companies justify the highest prices in the industrialized world.

The key in Quebec and Saskatchewan is the presence of competition (Videotron and SaskTel). If the CRTC were more open to allow more competition and smaller players to enter the market we would all have cheaper rates. Instead the opposite happens in Canada. First Rogers is allowed to buy Fido and then recently, Bell is allowed to buy MTS. Also recently, Sugar Mobile shut down because Rogers didn't like how they operated on their network. It's tough for competition when the CRTC sides with big business.

The US has good competition. The prices are the same everywhere because if they weren't there would be trouble. There is also no such thing as long distance calling (except outside of North America) nor out of state texting like in Canada. This is where Canadian cell providers rip off Canadians charging you to call or text outside of your province. This is outrageous and Canadians are getting scammed. It's not like they can't afford to provide lower prices - they made $3.3 BILLION in profit last year. Because of the lack of competition, they are charging outrageous fees and the CRTC and Canadians continue to allow it to happen.

The only thing I would buy from Rogers is their stock because I would get a cut of that $3.3 billion! Thanks Canada! :twisted:

I didn't mean to single out Rogers. However, it's basically the same across the board. Bell made $3.1 billion in 2016 and Telus made $1.2 billion in 2016.
That was kinda my whole point - that the "population density" argument doesn't hold water when comparing plan prices between provinces. It could still theoretically be used to explain the difference in costs between cheapest prices (QC, SK, MB for now) in Canada vs the US, of course, but doesn't justify Ontario's insane prices compared to SK or QC. Using that argument, Ontario should have the *cheapest* plans in Canada.

And it's not necessarily that the CRTC isn't open to more competition... IMO it's just completely cost prohibitive to enter the market as a 4th party right now. If you want any useful spectrum you have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get it, since it's sold at auction. And that's just the cost to license the spectrum, never mind the other costs (building towers, etc).

As far as I'm concerned, the only way we're going to see cheaper costs is if the CRTC forces companies to offer the same prices nationwide. They can't just say "screw it, we'll just keep Ontario's pricing nationwide" unless they want to completely abandon the QC and SK markets to the local competition. The other alternative is to make it easier for 4th parties to get into the market, maybe do something like there is in the home internet side of things where they force companies to allow resellers onto their networks at reasonable prices. I'd love to see a mobile phone equivalent to Teksavvy, say.
Public Mobile
Koodo