Best prepaid or 1yr plan /w 2+ GB data

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2017 7:05 pm
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:30 pm
That was kinda my whole point - that the "population density" argument doesn't hold water when comparing plan prices between provinces. It could still theoretically be used to explain the difference in costs between cheapest prices (QC, SK, MB for now) in Canada vs the US, of course, but doesn't justify Ontario's insane prices compared to SK or QC. Using that argument, Ontario should have the *cheapest* plans in Canada.

And it's not necessarily that the CRTC isn't open to more competition... IMO it's just completely cost prohibitive to enter the market as a 4th party right now. If you want any useful spectrum you have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get it, since it's sold at auction. And that's just the cost to license the spectrum, never mind the other costs (building towers, etc).

As far as I'm concerned, the only way we're going to see cheaper costs is if the CRTC forces companies to offer the same prices nationwide. They can't just say "screw it, we'll just keep Ontario's pricing nationwide" unless they want to completely abandon the QC and SK markets to the local competition. The other alternative is to make it easier for 4th parties to get into the market, maybe do something like there is in the home internet side of things where they force companies to allow resellers onto their networks at reasonable prices. I'd love to see a mobile phone equivalent to Teksavvy, say.
Exactly!

Teksavvy was a great operator when I lived in Toronto. I used them for over ten years! I think my neighbours still use them.

I agree than a new network isn't feasible financially. However, MVNOs should be allowed into the market more freely. Sugar mobile shut down recently because Rogers didn't like how they operated on their network. Another company, TextNow, a Waterloo company does very good business in the US on Sprint. But nobody in Canada will touch them because they would definitely take business away from the big boys. This is where the CRTC needs to step in and do their job.
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
contva wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:24 am
Been looking for hours this morning for it. Basically, I'd like to switch from Telus and I'm looking for a prepaid plan with at least 2GB of data. Everything I see is around a ridiculous 70$ for 1GB. Prepaid plans seem way worse than the regular ones... Or I could go for a 1yr plan BYOD. I can't seem to find anything decent. Chatr would be an option but they only offer 3G speeds.
EDIT: I should add, I'm looking for a plan available in QC.

Man, I think we're the only country on the planet where mobile plans are getting more expensive...
Thanks!
Sorry for hijacking your thread. If you're looking for a Canadian carrier, I can't help you. However, if you don't mind US service in Canada, T-Mobile or ATT work perfectly fine in Canada.

I actually use T-Mobile because I'm in the US a lot, however, when I'm in Canada, I roam on Bell and Telus. It's pretty great reception. ATT roams on Rogers.

On ATT, there is a 6GB prepaid plan that can be had for about US$41 after discounts. This is the cheapest one. This is unlimited talk/text and Canada roaming included. I think this plan even has rollover data.

I've had a US number for over ten years and the competition started heating up in the last few years. Enough that I could actually get by on only US-based service. If you need a CAN number, you can always use TextNow, 2ndLine or Fongo.
May 8, 2009
587 posts
147 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:14 pm
Sorry for hijacking your thread. If you're looking for a Canadian carrier, I can't help you. (...)
If I needed a large amount of data, I'd go that route. Not sure about AT&T, but gotta be careful with T-Mobile because they require spending at least 50% of the time in the US.

A better option for a US number is Nettalk. They do a one line business wireless account with unlimited everything (no throttling) for ~$40-45 USD per month with unlimited Canada as well. Since it's classified as a business account, I think they use that as a loophole to let you spend even 100% of the time in Canada. Only catch is you have to connect a one minute call while in the US in order to get it activated prior to roaming.

For my needs, QC plans are great. The fact that most wireless users in the GTA and Vancouver area have paid off their cell towers many times over subsidizes the lifestyle for those of us on RFD who find cheap work-arounds.

I think the Gaspesian Peninsula is hardly populated, plus there are no Videotron stores out there (maybe one in Rimouski). Yet because they have 418 area code numbers, they get QC plans. The big three are probably even losing money by putting up cell towers out there.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Thanks all for your help, in the end I went with Koodo unlimited text&talk and 6GB of data for 49, plus the 50$ referral.

The US thing sounds interesting though. I might need it next year!

Cheers!