Art and Photography

Best price for 52mm Hoya coated lens filters for Nikon D80?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2008 8:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18193 posts
137 upvotes
GTA

Best price for 52mm Hoya coated lens filters for Nikon D80?

Photography newbie here. Does anyone know the best price for Hoya lens filters? A family member requested to order them and I have no idea whether I'm looking for the right thing since they all sound the same to me.

It is for a Nikon D80 DSLR camera (has 4 lens) and the items we would like to buy are :

1.) Product Name: 52mm Hoya SMC Super Multi Coated UV Filter http://www.camerafilters.com/detail.aspx?id=237 $23.66

2.) Product Name: 52mm Hoya HMC Multi Coated Sky 1B Filter http://www.camerafilters.com/detail.aspx?id=224 $13.86

Looking for new ones shipped to Calgary or to USA (which can be mail forwarded to Calgary via USPS postal service by another family member). Other than on [rfdlink=4]Amazon.com[/rfdlink] and eBay (are they genuine?), I'm not really sure where else might offer a good competitive price.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4302 posts
141 upvotes
Those prices are pretty good assuming they are authentic.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10876 posts
4357 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would get the SMC one since the UV is more colour neutral.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18193 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote:
Jul 5th, 2008 12:03 am
I would get the SMC one since the UV is more colour neutral.
Thanks, so you mean he only needs one of them? Why did he send me two links?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10876 posts
4357 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
felix wrote:
Jul 5th, 2008 12:27 am
Thanks, so you mean he only needs one of them? Why did he send me two links?
Back in the film days, people would get either a Skylight or a UV filter depending on what they wanted. A Skylight has a slight pinkish tone to it to add more colour to people's faces while a UV just blocks UV light which affects the finished product on film. Over the years, people have gotten used to having filters on their lenses and people have started buying them as "lens protectors". Different people have different opinions on whether or not these filters are needed - but that's a discussion for another time and another place.

Today, you can still argue that you might want some more pink in people's faces but you might not want it all of the time.

As for the numbers, since he has four lenses, he would probably want 4 filters. Filters come in sizes (diameters to be exact). The "52-mm" part of the order states that he is looking for filters that are 52-mm in diameter. Now, it is possible that all of your friend's lenses are 52-mm but that is HIGHLY unlikely. I would suggest that prior to ordering anything have them check the owner's manual for the sizes.

He may also look for a circular polarizer (C-POL) filter for landscapes or sky shots. What does this filter do? For most people, it makes the blue sky bluer. Try to google for some sample shots.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18193 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
I found out these are the lens he has for the Nikon D80 DSLR :

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens (which came with the Nikon D80)

28-105mm, 18-35mm, and 80-200mm (these 3 came with an older camera, which fits the D80).

He also has a Nikon flash.

Are these all 52mm? I have no idea. Which filters should he be using?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10876 posts
4357 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
felix wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 11:33 am
I found out these are the lens he has for the Nikon D80 DSLR :

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens (which came with the Nikon D80)

28-105mm, 18-35mm, and 80-200mm (these 3 came with an older camera, which fits the D80).

He also has a Nikon flash.

Are these all 52mm? I have no idea. Which filters should he be using?
That's great but if he has the lenses, he should really tell you which filters to get just in case there was an error in sizes.

Also, the 2 of the 3 older lenses could be non-Nikon lenses that fit a Nikon in that case, the size of the filter will be an issue. Does he have lens caps for all of the lenses? On the back of the lens caps, there is usually the size of the filter on it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18193 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
He says "I have 8 Hoya filters for my old F4 lenses (they are bigger sizes) which my brother gave me together with the camera" so it looks like these would be for his Nikon D80 18-55mm lens kit.

We're now thinking of getting the following :

52mm Hoya SUPER HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) UV(0) Filter
52mm Hoya HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) Circular Polarizing Filter

But then I realized, is the PRO1 Digital DMC series better for digital cameras like the Nikon D80? The price difference is quite huge. From the eBay seller slphotogear's pages it says "Double Threading allows use of snap-on lens caps and can be used to stack muliple filters" for the polarizers and "3 Layers on each side with Anti-Aliasing coating specifically designed for Digital Sensors, 3mm ring thickness" for the UV filters.

Also is hvstar.com reliable? They are based in China and most of their items don't indicate Made in Japan. Their ebay userid : http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... esteastern