Food & Drink

Best Ramen in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2024 5:50 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29912 upvotes
peanutz wrote: Kinton and Sansotei not for me. Haven't been to the other GTA places.
Which Sansotei location did you go to that put you off?
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
markopas wrote: Which Sansotei location did you go to that put you off?
Downtown, Dundas St., the one a few blocks from the Eaton centre. The broth was similarly as good as Santouka or Isshin, but the bowl had the sparsest amount of toppings and I am really picky about noodles and mine were kind of stiff and doughy.

Hard to explain, it's rude to call it "cardboardy" but I can make a tasty bowl of soup with fresh accompanying meat and vegetables at home, or get similarly tasty variants from a Vietnamese, Korean or Thai place. For me, the defining aspect of a good ramen meal is the texture of the noodles, which should be distinguishable from instant Mr. Noodle by being elastic ("bouncy") and slippery.

From other reviews, I can tell most people don't notice or care.
Nov 23, 2008
382 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote: Downtown, Dundas St., the one a few blocks from the Eaton centre. The broth was similarly as good as Santouka or Isshin, but the bowl had the sparsest amount of toppings and I am really picky about noodles and mine were kind of stiff and doughy.

Hard to explain, it's rude to call it "cardboardy" but I can make a tasty bowl of soup with fresh accompanying meat and vegetables at home, or get similarly tasty variants from a Vietnamese, Korean or Thai place. For me, the defining aspect of a good ramen meal is the texture of the noodles, which should be distinguishable from instant Mr. Noodle by being elastic ("bouncy") and slippery.

From other reviews, I can tell most people don't notice or care.
Bad batch maybe? I think I'd notice if the noodles were cardboardy, but I've always recalled the noodles being decently springy.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote: What's your preference? Any particular style?

Do you want overall best, or best toppings, best value, best soup, best noodles, etc.?
I guess best overall but tasty soup is also key.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29912 upvotes
hold on here, do you guys understand the difference between fresh home made noodles vs. store bought? have you ever made your own noodles or even bought fresh from a store that makes them fresh? there is a huge difference in consistency and taste.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
sn00ch wrote: I guess best overall but tasty soup is also key.
But...even with the soup preferences, there are different kinds of soups. In Japan, there are famous regional types, but even within a city, restaurants and family recipes will vary as well. You kind of have to specify what it is you like. ;)

I'm a huge OCD ramen noodle Nazi, so if they're not perfect, I'm disappointed in the bowl. My brother's "thing" is the little marinated half-egg, so if a place screws that up, he will literally change his preferred location. According to him, Raijin stopped doing theirs perfect and cutting it in half, so he moved over to Isshin. LOL

So for example, Isshin's Kotteri (tonkotsu) is delicious, as well as their black garlic variety, but I won't order their other soup bases because they're heavily sesame-flavoured, as I said. I get a lot of sesame in Korean cuisine (naengmyeon, bulgogi, etc.) so when I go for ramen I don't want more sesame.

This reviewer of Isshin preferred the "tonkotsu shio sesame" over the kotteri:
http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/ramen-isshin-toronto/

So that's how people's reviews and preferences will definitely affect what you may want to try, or like. On Yelp or Google reviews, hardly anyone takes a pic of boring little kotteri, it doesn't look impressive. Looks are deceiving.

Santouka does a lovely (shio-based) tonkotsu broth as well. If I recall correctly, a little more "oil spots" in their soup--not a defect--so, richer and more hearty than Isshin. They also put a small umeboshi in their shio tonkotsu, which is a nice touch.

From Kenzo, I like either their tonkotsu/tonkotsu black
https://www.kenzoramen.ca/bbs.php?table ... uid=33&p=1
or their "lighter" Tokyo-style clear broth shoyu:
https://www.kenzoramen.ca/bbs.php?table ... uid=31&p=1#.

Their presentation is beautiful, I like the variety of toppings they provide in these dishes. The only caution is that their broth is noticeably more salty than other locations, so I don't expect most people to be able to slurp and finish up the soup. Apparently most Japanese don't, but that seems a waste to me, especially if it's a bone broth like tonkotsu which is supposed to be full of nutrients.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Eat ... top-ramen/
Here's Susur Lee's take on it the types he tried. His favourite is Ajisen, which has never quite gotten the noodles perfect when I've gone. But see, he obviously seeks different things in a bowl of ramen than I do.

Other reviewers will tilt their preferences towards the accompanying side dishes, such as the takoyaki, gyoza, beverages, etc.
markopas wrote: hold on here, do you guys understand the difference between fresh home made noodles vs. store bought? have you ever made your own noodles or even bought fresh from a store that makes them fresh? there is a huge difference in consistency and taste.
These questions are presumptuous.

You tell me how and why your expertise differentiates between the various noodles of the restaurants. In descriptive words, not by self-declared qualifications. This is the internet, after all.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29912 upvotes
peanutz wrote: These questions are presumptuous.

You tell me how and why your expertise differentiates between the various noodles of the restaurants. In descriptive words, not by self-declared qualifications. This is the internet, after all.
Are you proclaiming to be the aficionado of Ramen?
__
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Kinton is way too salty for my taste buds. I have not gone to any of downtown places, mostly uptowns and I have yet to find one that is half decent.
I found Kinton too salty too even when asked for less salty. However the Markham one isn't too bad when you ask for less salty. The North York one and Baldwin Village I found it way too satly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
markopas wrote: Are you proclaiming to be the aficionado of Ramen?
This is the internet. I am challenging how you could prove or disprove a claim for or against such a statement made by me, or anyone else.

Are you here to share your opinions and give reasons, or bully people into posting a resume or making them defend their opinions by a BS statement of qualifications? I am 100% confident in my opinion, and I named more than one style and restaurant that I like. Meanwhile you stated only ONE company and only their locations. Why is that? What's wrong with the other fine ramen establishments in the GTA? You have yet to add anymore to the discussion. I'm waiting, because I am genuinely curious to see what people like and why.

As to your noodle questions--yes, I have made my own noodles. My mother had a noodle press since I was 6 years old. I know the difference between fresh and dried packaged noodles. I have also bought fresh noodles and pasta from various outlets. I do not think that dried packaged noodles are always inferior. I have had fresh and dried versions of Italian pastas, ramen noodles, buckwheat noodles, rice noodles.

A critic's role is the lowest one. I am "aficianado" enough to be confident that in a side-by-side live blind taste test, people will be able to tell the difference in texture between the noodles that I outlined, but not everyone will agree or even care.

Sansotei may have had an "off-batch" of low alkaline/mineral in the noodle mix the one time I went. Since I go downtown, I just prefer to take my bets on the other downtown establishments.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1809 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
riseagainstthemachine wrote: any good ramen places in Etobicoke? I moved near sherway gardens and it seems like there are no good Asian restaurants around there
I live in the west end as well. Bumping your question for a possible response!
A penny saved, is a penny earned!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote: But...even with the soup preferences, there are different kinds of soups. In Japan, there are famous regional types, but even within a city, restaurants and family recipes will vary as well. You kind of have to specify what it is you like. ;)

I'm a huge OCD ramen noodle Nazi, so if they're not perfect, I'm disappointed in the bowl. My brother's "thing" is the little marinated half-egg, so if a place screws that up, he will literally change his preferred location. According to him, Raijin stopped doing theirs perfect and cutting it in half, so he moved over to Isshin. LOL

So for example, Isshin's Kotteri (tonkotsu) is delicious, as well as their black garlic variety, but I won't order their other soup bases because they're heavily sesame-flavoured, as I said. I get a lot of sesame in Korean cuisine (naengmyeon, bulgogi, etc.) so when I go for ramen I don't want more sesame.

So that's how people's reviews and preferences will definitely affect what you may want to try, or like. On Yelp or Google reviews, hardly anyone takes a pic of boring little kotteri, it doesn't look impressive. Looks are deceiving.

Santouka does a lovely (shio-based) tonkotsu broth as well. If I recall correctly, a little more "oil spots" in their soup--not a defect--so, richer and more hearty than Isshin. They also put a small umeboshi in their shio tonkotsu, which is a nice touch.

Their presentation is beautiful, I like the variety of toppings they provide in these dishes. The only caution is that their broth is noticeably more salty than other locations, so I don't expect most people to be able to slurp and finish up the soup. Apparently most Japanese don't, but that seems a waste to me, especially if it's a bone broth like tonkotsu which is supposed to be full of nutrients.

Here's Susur Lee's take on it the types he tried. His favourite is Ajisen, which has never quite gotten the noodles perfect when I've gone. But see, he obviously seeks different things in a bowl of ramen than I do.

Other reviewers will tilt their preferences towards the accompanying side dishes, such as the takoyaki, gyoza, beverages, etc.

Wow...this is way more in depth than I was expecting! I'm a ramen n00b so I think I need to try more varieties before I can say which ones I prefer. Better get started on my research... :)
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29912 upvotes
peanutz wrote: This is the internet. I am challenging how you could prove or disprove a claim for or against such a statement made by me, or anyone else.

Are you here to share your opinions and give reasons, or bully people into posting a resume or making them defend their opinions by a BS statement of qualifications? I am 100% confident in my opinion, and I named more than one style and restaurant that I like. Meanwhile you stated only ONE company and only their locations. Why is that? What's wrong with the other fine ramen establishments in the GTA? You have yet to add anymore to the discussion. I'm waiting, because I am genuinely curious to see what people like and why.

As to your noodle questions--yes, I have made my own noodles. My mother had a noodle press since I was 6 years old. I know the difference between fresh and dried packaged noodles. I have also bought fresh noodles and pasta from various outlets. I do not think that dried packaged noodles are always inferior. I have had fresh and dried versions of Italian pastas, ramen noodles, buckwheat noodles, rice noodles.

A critic's role is the lowest one. I am "aficianado" enough to be confident that in a side-by-side live blind taste test, people will be able to tell the difference in texture between the noodles that I outlined, but not everyone will agree or even care.

Sansotei may have had an "off-batch" of low alkaline/mineral in the noodle mix the one time I went. Since I go downtown, I just prefer to take my bets on the other downtown establishments.
Opinions are like a$$holes.. everyone has one.
__
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
sn00ch wrote: Wow...this is way more in depth than I was expecting! I'm a ramen n00b so I think I need to try more varieties before I can say which ones I prefer. Better get started on my research... :)
You're late to the party. Why the sudden interest? :)

For your first try, do either:
- Ramen Isshin, shoyu kotteri or the garlic shoyu (same as the shoyu kotteri, but adds a roasty, slightly bitter and sweet garlickiness--only if you like garlic.) They have a lunch combo available Mon-Thurs where you can add a small takoyaki or chicken karaage plus a canned soda or green tea. I tried it once, but I'm cheap and have a small stomach, so now I just get a bowl of ramen. I recommend them because I think they have a really good price point, and they will include a nicely prepared half-egg for you. You can add other ingredients, like corn, spinach, etc. but it costs like 50 cents - $1 each.

- Santouka is a little more pricey, for their house special shio tonkotsu you have to order the egg separately, and it comes cold and whole. Just the ramen alone + egg will cost you about $15 including a small tip. If you don't care for eggs in general (or are allergic), then make them your first stop and nevermind the egg. The little naruto and umeboshi add an extra-Japanese touch.

Most of the employees at both downtown locations seem to be Japanese students; I don't know if they actually expect tipping but I just do...

Then...go crazy with any other variants or restaurants.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
I think it's largely dependent on your taste buds. Almost all of them have some kind of specialty. I've tried the following and have these comments:

-Kinton, various locations: Broth is saltier than other places. That could be a plus or a minus depending on you. They also have a chicken broth which a lot of other places lack. But I like their pork broth a lot better as it's their specialty.

-Sansoutei: The dundas location always has a line up. I tried several times and I think their spicy tan tan is awesome. But I wouldn't line up for this. But then again I never line up for anything...

-Santouka: This one is noticeably more expensive than other places starting at about $12 when other places start at just a little under $10. My GF who is japanese says this one is the most authentic. Personally I rather go to Kinton or Sansoutei.

-Ryu's noodle bar on baldwin: They have a stamp card system but I don't find it special enough to justify coming here often as it's far for me. They have wheat noodle and also angus beef version which other places don't have. I heard they had a fire back in June. Shame. I hope they are still open.

-Hakata Shoryuken near Finch: Nothing stands out here but the closest one to my house. Nothing bad, nothing outstanding

-Raijin: I hope they are still around. There was some road work that made this store invisible for a while. They also have a stamp card system (I'm a sucker for free things!). I also tried their yuzu infused cold ramen which was their summer special. It was great.

-Touhenboku on Eglinton: Nothing stands out. And this place must have the worst management ever cause I notice they post ads to hire new staff EXTREMELY OFTEN.

-Ajisen at various locations: once you try any of the above you won't be able to justify coming here

-Kenzo: This place is decent but I don't see them surviving for very long with all these "so called" japanese stores running around.

Frankly most of these places are owned by Chinese and they just hire Japanese to make it look authentic. But it doesn't matter...I just wanted to point this out before anyone starts sprouting nonsense about authenticity. The owners don't matter as much as the franchise system. As long as they are using the same recipe and ingredients, that's all that matters. Overall I don't think i ever had a bad ramen experience. The only cases where the owners might matter would be service. Japanese mind-set is general strong on customer service. Whereas Chinese/Korean owners may not care as much. But again, it boils down to the franchise system. As long as there is proper quality control and training procedures, it doesn't actually matter who owns the place.

Personally I actually prefer Chinese hand pulled noodles better. Japanese ramen is all about the broth. Chinese ramen is all about the noodle. Japanese broth I find too salty but I always finish it anyways.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Excellent write up.

If one is to look for good (not so salty) broth, I prefer Vietnamese version hands down. This, of course is another thread to talk about.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote: You're late to the party. Why the sudden interest? :)

For your first try, do either:
- Ramen Isshin, shoyu kotteri or the garlic shoyu (same as the shoyu kotteri, but adds a roasty, slightly bitter and sweet garlickiness--only if you like garlic.) They have a lunch combo available Mon-Thurs where you can add a small takoyaki or chicken karaage plus a canned soda or green tea. I tried it once, but I'm cheap and have a small stomach, so now I just get a bowl of ramen. I recommend them because I think they have a really good price point, and they will include a nicely prepared half-egg for you. You can add other ingredients, like corn, spinach, etc. but it costs like 50 cents - $1 each.

- Santouka is a little more pricey, for their house special shio tonkotsu you have to order the egg separately, and it comes cold and whole. Just the ramen alone + egg will cost you about $15 including a small tip. If you don't care for eggs in general (or are allergic), then make them your first stop and nevermind the egg. The little naruto and umeboshi add an extra-Japanese touch.

Most of the employees at both downtown locations seem to be Japanese students; I don't know if they actually expect tipping but I just do...

Then...go crazy with any other variants or restaurants.
Shamefully late to the party. I don't know why but I suddenly started craving it and realized there so many good options in Toronto I didn't know where to start. I might start with Isshin since I love garlic and they've got some decent non-meat options for my vegetarian buddies.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
peanutz wrote: But...even with the soup preferences, there are different kinds of soups. In Japan, there are famous regional types, but even within a city, restaurants and family recipes will vary as well. You kind of have to specify what it is you like. ;)

Your knowledge of ramen is profound...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
sn00ch wrote: Shamefully late to the party. I don't know why but I suddenly started craving it and realized there so many good options in Toronto I didn't know where to start. I might start with Isshin since I love garlic and they've got some decent non-meat options for my vegetarian buddies.
Ah...I haven't had any since the summer started. But yeah, Toronto really has a good bunch of places. In this town, it's really a toss-up between ramen and pho on a cold / rainy / snowy day.
UrbanPoet wrote: Your knowledge of ramen is profound...
No...! I don't know much...I just have some weird obsessive preferences about certain things, and ramen noodles is one of them. It's based on the fact that I had a lot of packaged ramen growing up, and I or my family would dress it up with our own broths, toppings, etc. Shin Ramyun in the plastic packaging (not cup), startlingly gets the slipperiness right, but it never gets the al dente chewiness that a good restaurant can do. So I'm not picky out of snobbery, it's just that...if I go to a restaurant, I expect them to do at least as well as an instant ramen noodle. My brother's tried more around the GTA.

I echo @booblehead in actually preferring Vietnamese pho because of the fragrant herbs, and different cuts of meat. The best I ever had was a Thai tomyum noodle soup, though, that had various cuts of pork--pork tendon, liver, flank--with cilantro, chives, and pink rice noodles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)