• Sep 23rd, 2018 10:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto

Best rated VPN for Price/Security

I have currently been using Iron Socket as a VPN service and am coming up to my yearly renewal ($24.50 USD a year on special). I was just wondering if this is still a good VPN service or if there are others that are better for speed/security/price.

Thanks
28 replies
May 1, 2018
190 posts
132 upvotes
East York
I've been using PIA for years and I never have had an issue. I think the last time I renewed , it was around $38/year CDN on special. I use it for torrenting, and have not had any emails with the header "notices about my internet activity" in 3.5 years of using it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
NordVPN also seems popular although I have not personally used it.

Check out the RFD Hot Deals sections for NordVPN pricing promotions.
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
12 posts
4 upvotes
I agree with the post above about NordVPN. I was considering several VPNs like Surfshark, Mullvad, Boleh and a few others, but NordVPN stood out in the price/security/speed combination. Iron Socket is a bit cheaper, but Nord has good speed and strict no-logs policy. I've been using it for about half a year now and by far had no problems. Plus they are offering a two-year discount at the moment in case you're interested.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
SolarisPlanet wrote: Plus they are offering a two-year discount at the moment in case you're interested.
I recently signed up with NordVPN for $99 for 3 years. It's really easy to configure an Asus router to make it look like you're in Chicago.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
HotYaris wrote: I recently signed up with NordVPN for $99 for 3 years. It's really easy to configure an Asus router to make it look like you're in Chicago.
Are you using stock or custom firmware? I have a T-mobile converted to an RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.6 and PIA. Once my PIA subscription ends, I'm going with NordVPN.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
audit13 wrote: Are you using stock or custom firmware? I have a T-mobile converted to an RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.6 and PIA. Once my PIA subscription ends, I'm going with NordVPN.
The latest stock firmware for the Rt-AC68U.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
HotYaris wrote: The latest stock firmware for the Rt-AC68U.
Cool.

I'm also thinking about using NordVPN for Netflix USA too if possible. No big loss if it doesn't spoof my location with Netflix.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
audit13 wrote: Cool.

I'm also thinking about using NordVPN for Netflix USA too if possible. No big loss if it doesn't spoof my location with Netflix.
NordVPN is one of the few VPNs that works great to receive Netflix USA.
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
Does anyone else have slow speeds with Shaw internet 300? I have slow speeds on all VPNs I have tried.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
dealsie wrote: Does anyone else have slow speeds with Shaw internet 300? I have slow speeds on all VPNs I have tried.
Are you connecting through a VPN app or running VPN on a router?

What speeds are you getting?
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
audit13 wrote: Are you connecting through a VPN app or running VPN on a router?

What speeds are you getting?
I use strongswan and Nord app. I tried VPN on the router but it limits it to 20 Mbps. Asus AC68U is not powerful enough. Speeds on PC are around 10 mbps with VPN. 320 mbps with just Shaw.

I use the XB6 router in bridge mode with Asus AC68U. Better speeds on strongswan but nothing over 60 Mbps usually on Android (phone and Nvidia shield).

PC hit 280 once but it never came back to those speeds. I tried with just the XB6 and the same deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
dealsie wrote: I use strongswan and Nord app. I tried VPN on the router but it limits it to 20 Mbps. Asus AC68U is not powerful enough. Speeds on PC are around 10 mbps with VPN. 320 mbps with just Shaw.

I use the XB6 router in bridge mode with Asus AC68U. Better speeds on strongswan but nothing over 60 Mbps usually on Android (phone and Nvidia shield).

PC hit 280 once but it never came back to those speeds. I tried with just the XB6 and the same deal.
I use PIA on the T-Mobile 1900 and I hit between 15 and 25 using the Chicago server, depending on the time of day with my Rogers 500 connection.

I don't normally use a vpn unless I want to stream shows from the USA like HBO.
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
audit13 wrote: I use PIA on the T-Mobile 1900 and I hit between 15 and 25 using the Chicago server, depending on the time of day with my Rogers 500 connection.

I don't normally use a vpn unless I want to stream shows from the USA like HBO.
They must be throttling the connection then. You are meant to get much faster on that. I think it's Comcast and T-Mobile that do it and Canadians follow.

Does anyone have better speeds on Telus? Might be time to switch. Upload of 20 Mbps is too slow these days. Been with Shaw the whole time, never tried anyone else.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
dealsie wrote: They must be throttling the connection then. You are meant to get much faster on that. I think it's Comcast and T-Mobile that do it and Canadians follow.

Does anyone have better speeds on Telus? Might be time to switch. Upload of 20 Mbps is too slow these days. Been with Shaw the whole time, never tried anyone else.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be signing up with nordvpn because I have better chances of it working with Netflix and people have given them good reviews.

Good luck in your search for another ISP.
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
audit13 wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be signing up with nordvpn because I have better chances of it working with Netflix and people have given them good reviews.

Good luck in your search for another ISP.
I had Nords 3 year for 99 USD deal but refunded because of speeds. It turns out it's all VPN though. It did work with Netflix US but I didn't find anything decent that Canada didn't have
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
dealsie wrote: I had Nords 3 year for 99 USD deal but refunded because of speeds. It turns out it's all VPN though. It did work with Netflix US but I didn't find anything decent that Canada didn't have
I was thinking of using it with my movies anywhere account too.
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
audit13 wrote: I was thinking of using it with my movies anywhere account too.
I never heard of movie anywhere, looks great thanks for the heads up.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
dealsie wrote: I never heard of movie anywhere, looks great thanks for the heads up.
I connected all my accounts too it and I can play them back using my USA iTunes account on my Apple TV.
Nov 28, 2012
63 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
audit13 wrote: I connected all my accounts too it and I can play them back using my USA iTunes account on my Apple TV.
Can't seem to sign up on Nord. Connection refused. Try the trial first I think.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)