• Feb 20th, 2018 7:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
25 posts
14 upvotes
ESSEX

Best Raw food producer?

With all the different raw food makers out there, does anyone know which ones they feel are the best to pick?

My little dog has a sensitivity to diets and is currently eating Tollden Farms raw food, anyone recommend them? know of something better?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
I just got what was convenient - big country raw
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3643 posts
504 upvotes
check if any of the following distributors are in your area:

http://www.rawdogfeed.com/independent-distributors.html

Pricing is $74 for 40 lb of raw dog food from my distributor.

It's a pretty good mix of proteins:

- Chicken 40%
- Beef (red meat and bone) 15%
- Beef (internal organs, tripe, kidney, heart) 20%
- Fish 20%
- Cooked Eggs 5%
Oct 6, 2017
18 posts
1 upvote
MrsPotato I want to ask you if you know any vets in the GTA that does AI OR PCI
Jan 16, 2007
919 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Decided to try raw for my dog. Any tips about switching to raw from kibble. He's been on kibble for his entire life of 4.5 years.
Feb 14, 2015
64 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It'd be the best thing you can do to your dog. Try gradually and don't give up.
When I transitioned my cat, I read up on "how to" in the internet and talked to my local pet shop near me.
Best of luck!
Aug 1, 2006
136 posts
46 upvotes
NubNub wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:02 pm
Decided to try raw for my dog. Any tips about switching to raw from kibble. He's been on kibble for his entire life of 4.5 years.
Try giving him kibble for one meal a day and raw for the other for the first week. Also start with easier to digest raw like rabbit or turkey or duck. Later on you can try boar or bison or beef. Don't buy large quantities the first time you try a frozen raw since your dog might throw it up and you might have to switch to a different protein. Also semi thaw the frozen raw in the fridge, about 8 hours for a 2 pound chunk, and about 4 hr for patties, cut them into the portions you want, then refreeze in ziplock bags. Depending on brand of frozen raw, you may have to add ingredients, for eg frozen raw from Big Country Raw needs added fish oil and kelp.
Jan 16, 2007
919 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm into the first week of completely feeding raw only and he's likes it immensely. Maybe a little too much. Used to take forever to finish his kibble, but now inhales his meal in 20 secs. Not sure if that's a problem, but he is burping up small chucks for the next few hours after eating.
I purchased from Big Raw Country and the ingredients say it includes herring oil and kelp. Should I still supplement with this stuff?
I'm also really surprised at how little poop he is making now compared to kibble.
Aug 1, 2006
136 posts
46 upvotes
NubNub wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:17 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm into the first week of completely feeding raw only and he's likes it immensely. Maybe a little too much. Used to take forever to finish his kibble, but now inhales his meal in 20 secs. Not sure if that's a problem, but he is burping up small chucks for the next few hours after eating.
I purchased from Big Raw Country and the ingredients say it includes herring oil and kelp. Should I still supplement with this stuff?
I'm also really surprised at how little poop he is making now compared to kibble.
Most of their products contain kelp so you don't need to supplement kelp unless the product you buy doesn't have. Hoqwcwe you do need to supplement with their herring oil or buy some fish oil capsules for all their product., unless you have their fish product in your rotation. I buy fish oil capsules ( 300mg EPA/DHA per 30 pounds of dog's weight daily ) and open them up with a safety pin and squirt into food just before serving.