Art and Photography

Best rechargeable battery for flash (speed light)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2014 10:58 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes

Best rechargeable battery for flash (speed light)

Just bought myself a Nikon flash.

What's a good durable rechargeable battery that holds charge? I previously tried Energizer NiMH rechargeable and they don't hold charge...
17 replies
Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
69 upvotes
Maha batteries>sanyo

But its a lot harder to get them and rarely go on sale
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5262 posts
2268 upvotes
Vancouver
Sanyo and Eneloops are one and the same; Sanyo was the originator of Eneloops but Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic a year or two ago. So look for the "Eneloops" brand.

There are almost always threads in the "Hot Deals" forum for eneloops. Usually Costco, NCIX, Newegg, or Tiger Express are the featured retailers.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/

Looks like Maha's "Imedion" brand batteries are similar to the Eneloops in how they hold a charge for a long time. Look to be mostly available via Amazon.

The Maha chargers are about the best you can get in a consumer branded product. http://www.mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000/

Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5861 posts
267 upvotes
Paulsfinest for maha batteries
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2086 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
I use sanyo/eneloops , purchase from dell and amazon.
I lost about 20+ energizer after a year. All the sanyo/eneloops are still doing fine after two years.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
Is the envelops charger any good? Maha is better but will cost me $100 to get charger and 8x AA powerex batteries.

I can get 8x envelops AA and Sanyo charger for $50.

Twice the cost, is it worth it?
Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
69 upvotes
Maha is not worth the cost for enthusiast photographers. If you do weddings or paid work with sb910s or 600rts then maha all the way.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
Neweggs.ca offer better pricing.

Now basically powerex charger and 12x batteries for $93 vs $50 for eneloops charger with 8x batteries.

Is the PowerEX 2700mAh battery hold charge well? Or is it the newer Imedion 2400mAh that hold charge better?

I mainly do flash photography for fun and I have a lot of lights as I do studio type of shoot. I have three Speedlights and some strobe. I plan to use two Speedlight to light up the background and one speed light as hair highlight.
Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
69 upvotes
Trust me unless you have money to splurge. Get the Sanyo.
I have done a high key setup with 2 speedlites max power lighting tbr white backdrop and used sanyos for over 300 full power pops on sb700
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
Jusbokeh wrote: Trust me unless you have money to splurge. Get the Sanyo.
I have done a high key setup with 2 speedlites max power lighting tbr white backdrop and used sanyos for over 300 full power pops on sb700
Is the eneloops charger that I question. I have no problem with eneloops battery.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5861 posts
267 upvotes
The charger is well worth the cost. Can bring back old dead rechargables and keep your new ones in good shape.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12211 posts
2948 upvotes
If your concern is holding the charge, Eneloop or pre-charged NIMH is your answer.
THINKPADT61 wrote: Just bought myself a Nikon flash.

What's a good durable rechargeable battery that holds charge? I previously tried Energizer NiMH rechargeable and they don't hold charge...
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
I get well over 200 (avg between 220 to 250) flashes off my Eneloops in my SB900.

Eneloops are honestly your best option unless you're a pro-photographer. The standard charger is fine unless you need quick recharges, they take a long time to charge the batteries but the trickle charging really preserves the battery life. I have a six-year set of Eneloops that's only been charged with the original Sanyo charger that came with them and they still hold a charge as if they were new.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12211 posts
2948 upvotes
OP is looking for batteries that can "hold the charge'. LSD NIMH like Eneloop is the best solution, it holds more than half of the capacity after 1 year. Typical NIMH will lose the entire charge in months.
weilyan wrote: a little on the heavier side in terms of weight but Ansmann are the best:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... eable.html
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
I end up buying PowerEX new 2400mAh batteries with PowerEx C9000 charger from newegg.

Eight batteries for $19.99 is reasonable even compare to eneloops. And the C9000 comes with four batteries for 59.99.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)