Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto

Best router under $100

I need a new router because my VOIP phone for work is not working with my current router.

I know nothing about routers or what exactly I need. I live in a 800 sq foot condo.

What is the best router I can get for under $100 that will fit my needs?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
Why do you think that the current router is the source of the VOIP phone problem?
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
Vacillator wrote: Why do you think that the current router is the source of the VOIP phone problem?
That's what the IT team at my work said. It was something to do with the firewall permission of my router, my IP phone would keep ringing constantly when it wasn't actually my extension being dialed. I think it was picking up other phone calls from other extensions, though I wouldn't hear anything when I picked up.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
under a 100 I think its the ac56u refurb for 80 by asus. But those who run it and ran a n56u say that it is still the best bang for bucks router with padavan firmware for around 50-60 bucks for a refurb.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
wilsonlam97 wrote: Maybe range but definitely not speed.
not on ac connections but 2.4 and 5ghz maybe a different story. I have read the ac56u is not as fast on the 2.4/5ghz as the older n56u nor I think match its range. Thats the thing on ac routers. just cause its ac doesn't mean the range or speed on 2.4/5n will be nearly as good, more than often ac around or under 100 will be much less. You really got to research that before buying an ac router if your buying for future proof but don't currently run ac.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: not on ac connections but 2.4 and 5ghz maybe a different story. I have read the ac56u is not as fast on the 2.4/5ghz as the older n56u nor I think match its range. Thats the thing on ac routers. just cause its ac doesn't mean the range or speed on 2.4/5n will be nearly as good, more than often ac around or under 100 will be much less. You really got to research that before buying an ac router if your buying for future proof but don't currently run ac.
I guess there are odd situations where an AC router is slower than a N router. But if you have AC clients then obviously the AC router will be faster.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
goonx126 wrote: N66

It beats most AC routers in speed and range
It's also $150 from what I see lol
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: under a 100 I think its the ac56u refurb for 80 by asus. But those who run it and ran a n56u say that it is still the best bang for bucks router with padavan firmware for around 50-60 bucks for a refurb.
Is this the refurbished one you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... AlzG8P8HAQ
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
desm0nd wrote: That's what the IT team at my work said. It was something to do with the firewall permission of my router, my IP phone would keep ringing constantly when it wasn't actually my extension being dialed. I think it was picking up other phone calls from other extensions, though I wouldn't hear anything when I picked up.
I'd make sure your network is configured properly first.

did voip ever work properly on this configuration? have you upgraded internet service or received a new modem lately?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
desm0nd wrote: Is this the refurbished one you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... AlzG8P8HAQ
yeah.... But here's the thing. For under a 100 for an ac router there really is no clear winner or goto router.

I picked that one because argueably its close. It has the same soc as its popular big brothers. But isn't as good for range and speed.Because its wifi chips are different and less rx/tx for all antenna's

From what I gathered without spending too much time looking into it. The ac56u has good ac range and speed but not as good as +100/-$200 ac routers. It has excellent 5ghz range and speed better than alot of ac routers/5ghz routers. The 2.4ghz range though isn't so good or stable.

Regardless of all the new standards 2.4ghz will argue-ably always be the king for range. So at the very least I figure any wifi router you buy today better have excellent 2.4ghz to fall back on if you need it. But for some weird reason almost all ac routers hovering around 100 or lower have horrid 2.4ghz and 5ghz

So if you don't need ac or have ac clients buy the n56u for 56 bucks and put padavan's firmware on it. Its stable has all the perks and excellent 2.4ghz for range and good 5ghz n. Its not as good range as the n66u/n68u in either but hey those will never be had for under 60. The reason i recommend that one is because I know you won't come back here and say you had problems.I can't say the same with confidence for any ac router under 100 including the ac56u. Of course for the money with the ac56u you have tomato firmware support thats a nice option.

Whose to say you can't run an affordable AC acess point down the road with the money you saved.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: yeah.... But here's the thing. For under a 100 for an ac router there really is no clear winner or goto router.

I picked that one because argueably its close. It has the same soc as its popular big brothers. But isn't as good for range and speed.Because its wifi chips are different and less rx/tx for all antenna's

From what I gathered without spending too much time looking into it. The ac56u has good ac range and speed but not as good as +100/-$200 ac routers. It has excellent 5ghz range and speed better than alot of ac routers/5ghz routers. The 2.4ghz range though isn't so good or stable.

Regardless of all the new standards 2.4ghz will argue-ably always be the king for range. So at the very least I figure any wifi router you buy today better have excellent 2.4ghz to fall back on if you need it. But for some weird reason almost all ac routers hovering around 100 or lower have horrid 2.4ghz and 5ghz

So if you don't need ac or have ac clients buy the n56u for 56 bucks and put padavan's firmware on it. Its stable has all the perks and excellent 2.4ghz for range and good 5ghz n. Its not as good range as the n66u/n68u in either but hey those will never be had for under 60. The reason i recommend that one is because I know you won't come back here and say you had problems.I can't say the same with confidence for any ac router under 100 including the ac56u. Of course for the money with the ac56u you have tomato firmware support thats a nice option.

Whose to say you can't run an affordable AC acess point down the road with the money you saved.
Honestly I dont even know what AC is. I don't even really know what I need or what the difference between any of the routers are. Thats why I was asking for someone to just make the decision for me lol. So what should I pick? ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
Also, with my internet being 25 mbps, am I going to see a big difference in speed between routers?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2147 posts
2165 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: yeah.... But here's the thing. For under a 100 for an ac router there really is no clear winner or goto router.

Also one thing I notice with my current router is that my connection isnt that good in my den which isnt that far, so that's something I'd like to improve.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
desm0nd wrote: It was something to do with the firewall permission of my router, my IP phone would keep ringing constantly when it wasn't actually my extension being dialed. I think it was picking up other phone calls from other extensions, though I wouldn't hear anything when I picked up.
You were the target of SIP scanners, or hackers attempting to use your phone to route long distance calls that you pay for. Your IT people are correct that your router is insecure. It uses what we call "full cone NAT". You should be using a router with "restricted cone NAT".

Any router with Tomato firmware will not have this problem, and will perform very well with VoIP. http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)