Request-A-Deal

Best Samsung Galaxy S10 plus deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2019 11:05 am
Feb 19, 2019
86 posts
18 upvotes
I could get the S10+ ceramic black 512GB with Rogers for $749 on a 2 year contract 10GB $110/m. But they're not offering the free earbuds. They do have the $300 trade in offer though.
May 17, 2012
113 posts
10 upvotes
TORONTO
somethingcr3ative wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:25 pm
Koodo is offering a pre-order deal with free Galaxy Buds and no contract (https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s10). Compared to the deals offered by the other carriers, this seems too good to be true... What's the catch?
the catch is that it's higher than the retail price....if you got o Samsung Canada's web site, s10 plus is 1419....at koodo it's 1575, almost offsetting the cost of the buds.

s10 regular on Samsung is 1259, on koodo 1400.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4464 posts
558 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 9:35 am
Anyone getting the Fold?
At current exchange rate, it'd be $2600 Cdn + tax, about $2900 in Ont after tax. That's nuts, even for a tech enthusiast like me, who almost always buys high end phones (iPhone X, Note 9, etc)
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
somethingcr3ative wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:25 pm
Koodo is offering a pre-order deal with free Galaxy Buds and no contract (https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s10). Compared to the deals offered by the other carriers, this seems too good to be true... What's the catch?
Sprite06 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 9:10 am
the catch is that it's higher than the retail price....if you got o Samsung Canada's web site, s10 plus is 1419....at koodo it's 1575, almost offsetting the cost of the buds.

s10 regular on Samsung is 1259, on koodo 1400.
It's $1200 (for the s10 regular) on tab large though. Sign up and cancel, baby. Never go for the outright price with Koodo.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Feb 14, 2007
650 posts
135 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 1:26 pm
It's $1200 (for the s10 regular) on tab large though. Sign up and cancel, baby. Never go for the outright price with Koodo.
$1235+ whatever prorate and no trade in bonus so essentially the same.. not worth the hassle
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
wai_lai416 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 2:07 pm
$1235+ whatever prorate and no trade in bonus so essentially the same.. not worth the hassle
Shrug - depends what you prefer - trade-in bonus or Samsung buds. I was just pointing out that Koodo is not, in fact, more expensive than getting direct from Samsung if you want to go that route.
Feb 14, 2007
650 posts
135 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 2:13 pm
Shrug - depends what you prefer - trade-in bonus or Samsung buds. I was just pointing out that Koodo is not, in fact, more expensive than getting direct from Samsung if you want to go that route.
the thing is you might not even get the buds from koodoo unless they are giving it to you at the time of purchase. if they are going to mail it to you which could be 2-4 weeks they might not send it to you if you have already cancelled.
May 17, 2012
113 posts
10 upvotes
TORONTO
wai_lai416 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 2:28 pm
the thing is you might not even get the buds from koodoo unless they are giving it to you at the time of purchase. if they are going to mail it to you which could be 2-4 weeks they might not send it to you if you have already cancelled.
they're shipped with the phone "You will receive the Samsung Galaxy Buds with the shipment of your device. " now, whether you need to return the buds when you cancel ...i dont know.

just curious (I'm not gonna go thru the hassle either)....you literally sign up....when you get the phone, you cancel with koodoo....pay off the tab...then keep the phone? where are you getting the "1235" figure from? $1200 for the phone plus $35 for activation?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
Sprite06 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 8:45 pm
they're shipped with the phone "You will receive the Samsung Galaxy Buds with the shipment of your device. " now, whether you need to return the buds when you cancel ...i dont know.

just curious (I'm not gonna go thru the hassle either)....you literally sign up....when you get the phone, you cancel with koodoo....pay off the tab...then keep the phone? where are you getting the "1235" figure from? $1200 for the phone plus $35 for activation?
There's no clawback on sign up gifts with Koodo anymore.

And yes - you sign up, call and cancel as soon as you have the phone in hand. They'll put the remainder of your device balance on your final bill, along with a prorated amount for one day or whatever of service. With tab large, you're paying $720 upfront and putting $480 on your tab (and the $35 activation fee), so the total ends up being $1235. Plus 1 days' service, maybe (last time I flipped, I cancelled the day I got the phone and they didn't charge me anything for a prorated amount).
Oct 12, 2014
262 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
Is the samsung canada website the cheapest place to get the s10 for $1259.99 outright? Also, is samsung canada offering the free ear buds as well? I didn't see it on their website
May 17, 2012
113 posts
10 upvotes
TORONTO
yellowlight18 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 11:04 am
Is the samsung canada website the cheapest place to get the s10 for $1259.99 outright? Also, is samsung canada offering the free ear buds as well? I didn't see it on their website
if what wearysky said about koodoo applies to freedom mobile, then I think freedom is the cheapest way to get the phone....you can get it for $0 if you sign up for their $80 plan (but you'll pay $35 a month on tab for 24 months) ....cancel the day of or a day later and you pay off the tab ($840 = $35*24) plus $35 activation fee = $875 vs $1260 outright. Now, if you get the minimum $200 trade-in right away, this works out to be even a better deal, but I suspect the trade-in credit applies one month later, but even if you cancel after one month, you still end up in the positive.

edited:

nvm, looks like it's for upgrades only
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
yellowlight18 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 11:04 am
If you don't want to do the sign up and cancel thing with Koodo, then yes, Samsung Canada is the cheapest outright. Otherwise, looks like Koodo large tab is the cheapest (at $1200 on large tab + however many days' service before you cancel, if you order online to avoid the $35 activation fee). And no, Samsung doesn't have the ear buds. They're doing a trade-in promo instead. But if you don't want the buds and have a phone where doing the trade-in makes sense, might be cheaper still to go with Samsung directly.
Sprite06 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 11:52 am
if what wearysky said about koodoo applies to freedom mobile, then I think freedom is the cheapest way to get the phone....you can get it for $0 if you sign up for their $80 plan (but you'll pay $35 a month on tab for 24 months) ....cancel the day of or a day later and you pay off the tab ($840 = $35*24) plus $35 activation fee = $875 vs $1260 outright. Now, if you get the minimum $200 trade-in right away, this works out to be even a better deal, but I suspect the trade-in credit applies one month later, but even if you cancel after one month, you still end up in the positive.

edited:

nvm, looks like it's for upgrades only
And regardless, Koodo's the only company where you can buy on tab with an activation credit, cancel, and only have to pay off the tab amount. Every other carrier that gives you a "discount" on sign up just puts that discount onto your outstanding device balance.
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 10:13 am
If you don't want to do the sign up and cancel thing with Koodo, then yes, Samsung Canada is the cheapest outright. Otherwise, looks like Koodo large tab is the cheapest (at $1200 on large tab + however many days' service before you cancel, if you order online to avoid the $35 activation fee). And no, Samsung doesn't have the ear buds. They're doing a trade-in promo instead. But if you don't want the buds and have a phone where doing the trade-in makes sense, might be cheaper still to go with Samsung directly.

And regardless, Koodo's the only company where you can buy on tab with an activation credit, cancel, and only have to pay off the tab amount. Every other carrier that gives you a "discount" on sign up just puts that discount onto your outstanding device balance.
Or perhaps buying direct via Best Buy/Staples and use ebates to get some cash back, albeit I'm not sure the cash back applies to mobile purchases.
Oct 12, 2014
262 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
wearysky wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks. Who is offering the ear buds?