• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2019 11:05 am
Oct 12, 2014
262 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
wearysky wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 10:13 am
If you don't want to do the sign up and cancel thing with Koodo, then yes, Samsung Canada is the cheapest outright. Otherwise, looks like Koodo large tab is the cheapest (at $1200 on large tab + however many days' service before you cancel, if you order online to avoid the $35 activation fee). And no, Samsung doesn't have the ear buds. They're doing a trade-in promo instead. But if you don't want the buds and have a phone where doing the trade-in makes sense, might be cheaper still to go with Samsung directly.

And regardless, Koodo's the only company where you can buy on tab with an activation credit, cancel, and only have to pay off the tab amount. Every other carrier that gives you a "discount" on sign up just puts that discount onto your outstanding device balance.
Does it negatively impact your credit if you sign-up as new customer with Koodo then cancel?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15928 posts
6040 upvotes
Oakville
JinP10907 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 2:03 pm
Or perhaps buying direct via Best Buy/Staples and use ebates to get some cash back, albeit I'm not sure the cash back applies to mobile purchases.
That would only work if you could buy outright from them online, which I don't believe you can.
yellowlight18 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 9:12 pm
Thanks. Who is offering the ear buds?
Koodo is.

yellowlight18 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 9:24 pm
Does it negatively impact your credit if you sign-up as new customer with Koodo then cancel?
There's a small credit hit if you're not already a Koodo postpaid customer. But unless you're doing this 10 times a year (or have really, really bad credit), it's not going to be a big deal.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Feb 25, 2019
2 posts
I am looking at bestbuy with the 300$ trade-in. With the large tab at koodo you pay 720$ upfront (minus 300$) so 420$ upfront. And you have 480$ to pay on your tab when you cancel. I think that is the best offer. You can also have up to a $400 Best Buy gift card depending on your trade-in but I wouldn't count on a good offer. So the phone comes back at 900$. Take note bestbuy do not offer the earbuds even if you take koodo.
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 11:21 am
That would only work if you could buy outright from them online, which I don't believe you can.

Koodo is.

There's a small credit hit if you're not already a Koodo postpaid customer. But unless you're doing this 10 times a year (or have really, really bad credit), it's not going to be a big deal.

i jsut checked...not only can you buy it outright, you can still do a trade-in and get $200 min.....so trade-in plus ebates via best buy/staples would be the cheapest cash option.
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
but if you actually value the free buds, the koodo deal is indeed the better one after you subtract the value of the buds from what you're paying for the phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15928 posts
6040 upvotes
Oakville
JinP10907 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 12:46 pm
i jsut checked...not only can you buy it outright, you can still do a trade-in and get $200 min.....so trade-in plus ebates via best buy/staples would be the cheapest cash option.
Just for reference - it's $1259.99 from Best Buy, and I'm not sure which eBates category it would fall into but I'm assuming max 1%, since it definitely doesn't fall into any of the above-1% categories. So that's only $12.60 back in eBates (if anything?). And the trade-in is just going through Samsung's trade-in program, which appears to apply to all carriers and authorized resellers. I wonder if you could double dip with a Koodo pre-order?
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 4:09 pm
Just for reference - it's $1259.99 from Best Buy, and I'm not sure which eBates category it would fall into but I'm assuming max 1%, since it definitely doesn't fall into any of the above-1% categories. So that's only $12.60 back in eBates (if anything?). And the trade-in is just going through Samsung's trade-in program, which appears to apply to all carriers and authorized resellers. I wonder if you could double dip with a Koodo pre-order?
good question ..I don't see a rebate offered by Koodo at all that's what makes me question if you enter your order number on Samsung site to get the rebate...will it be accepted ? I guess I could message Samsung Canada

but..according to the trade in document..."This offer cannot be combined with any otheroffer unless otherwise specifically agreedto by Samsung in writing or by the participating Canadian authorized carrier or retailer." hmmmm....
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 4:09 pm
i tried koodo out...what is worrisome is that upfront payment for the phone is after the deduction of the "activation credit"....i wonder if this would need to be paid back if cancelled? hmmm
Oct 12, 2014
262 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
Can I trade in any old flipphone at Best Buy or Staples?
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
6 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 8:50 pm
Can I trade in any old flipphone at Best Buy or Staples?
yes, from my understadning.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15928 posts
6040 upvotes
Oakville
JinP10907 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 8:46 pm
i tried koodo out...what is worrisome is that upfront payment for the phone is after the deduction of the "activation credit"....i wonder if this would need to be paid back if cancelled? hmmm
Nope, no activation credit clawbacks with Koodo. Your tab balance is your tab balance ($480 on tab large, which is the best deal for the S10 with them), and that's all you're required to pay off when you cancel. That's why there are constantly phone deals for Koodo posted in Hot Deals, but almost never with any other carrier :)